Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
Page 1 ... 65 66 67 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
 Login/Join

is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
Blogpost chutney

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I don't really have anything to add, I just thought I'd bump this thread and that people might want to re-read their way through it.

Do we have just a soup thread? I think there needs to be a thread for just soup.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
hey, so now i have a turkey carcass. teach me how to soup!

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fluffyllama:
hey, so now i have a turkey carcass. teach me how to soup!

Pick the meat off the bones, chuck the bones back into a stockpot, add some water and salt and I dunno, an onion? Boil for a while, strain, use stock to make soup.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
You can also put the bones in a crockpot if you don't have a stockpot and cook everything on low for about 12 hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12402 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
So a bit late, but bones+ the basics+ water, boil down= awesome.

basics (mirepoix)= onions, celery, carrots. Add herbs for fun or taste.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1997 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
I just received a medieval cookbook for Christmas. So many fantastic recipes that, due to their ingredients, automatically accommodate my food intolerances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12402 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I got an Instant Pot! OMG, it's the best.

I'm not sure I'll ever progress past this recipe:

1 pack of chicken thighs
1 jar of something (salsa, chutney, tomato sauce, coconut milk)
Salt

Cook on "Poultry" setting.

Take out chicken, add misc. veggies to instant pot. Cook briefly. Done!

Dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. It's amazing, I tell you.

You can make stock in it, too! FYI, Llama, IMHO, stock never tastes right until you salt the hell out of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I love it when my worlds collide - there's a group I belong to on Ravelry and they are always banging on about the greatness of the Instant Pot. I have been tempted to get one because of them.

The other night dad said to me, "This supper would have been better with cherry pie for dessert." And, if he had told me that earlier in the day he could have had that.

Earlier this year Aldi's had jarred sour cherries in sugar syrup. And it has actual sugar, not HFCS. And so I bought a case, because they don't always carry the same stuff at Aldi's or sell out quickly and I have room in my house.

I just dump the jar into a pot, mix up some of the juice with a tablespoon of corn starch, bring the pot to a boil, add the corn starch slurry, bring back to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat, add a wee pinch of sea salt, some vanilla and/or almond extract, maybe some dry red wine. Let it cool down - I stuck it in the fridge while I did the pie crust - and either make or unwrap a bought crust. This is pie people, it should be easy and tasty! If you like how a store bought one tastes, by all means, use it. I baked it all at 400F for about 42 minutes.

For a rustic pie you want it a bit bigger, so I rolled mine out to a wide circle. Also, it doesn't matter if the edges are not round and are ragged, it's supposed to be ugly. I use 2 sheepts of parchment paper under the crust and put those on a jelly roll tray. You want it to be a baking tray that has edges!

Plop the goo in the centre, let it spread a bit, fold up around the edges (five folds works out well) and pinch the corner folds. Rub some softened butter on the crust and sprinkle with sugar, ground vanilla, soak some wine in some sugar and rub that on, sprinkle with nutmeg...

Bake at 400F for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. It will likely gush out the sides, this is why 2 sheets of baking paper is useful.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, someone might want my pie crust recipe:

I use digital scales, so it's easy for me to switch from ounces to grams, but I haven't a clue about how many cups of flour this is...

6.25 ounces flour (I like a bit of white whole wheat flour in this, but no more than 2 ounces)
1/2 tsp kosher salt (heaping)
1/2 tsp sugar
2 oz sour cream
4 oz unsalted butter (cold, chunked)
up to 2 Tbsp ice water
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cold vodka

Mix the flour with the sour cream, then add the butter, then mix the salt and sugar with 1 Tbsp ice water mixed with the apple cider vinegar and vodka. Pour that over the flour mixture and mix until it sticks together to form a ball. If it's too dry, add some more ice water, or spray some water on it.

Fold the dough as you check it, this will helps give it some layers. I like to roll it out while it's still warm and then refrigerate it.

This makes 1 batch of dough large enough to roll out for a rustic pie. If you're making a regular pie you will have extra to cut off the edges. Slather it with butter and cinnamon sugar and bake little cookies.

Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I am so in love with my Instant Pot (especially the rice cooker feature, because I stink at cooking rice properly). They go on sale on Amazon a lot, so definitely keep an eye out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
Instant pot... ahhh, nifty electric pressure cooker.

.. wow that looks pretty cool.

like the zojirushi of pressure cookers... hrrmmm.

Color me intrigued and likely buying one.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1997 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Been eyeing a pressure cooker. These shanks would have been done a LOT faster.

Maybe.

Since most of my cooking is still at work...

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24398 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
hijack, but where ya working now Beez?

-Ivan.

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
I am 100% only at Broder's Cucina! Imagine! Only one job!

I decided to go with the one that I've been with for 10 years, is like family and a place I enjoy.

Now, let's see if the $$ continues to allow this. It's GREAT!
More time for books Big Grin

~Joe

Posts: 24398 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Damn good place too.

-Ivan.

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Kind of Boardy too, what with peoples getting married and now having kids.

Also, many geeks in this kitchen.

ALSO my line cooks took me to Ballentine VFW for my 60th birthday and sang karaoke.
Leslie Gore! Sunshine, Lollipos and Rainbows!
Dive bar karaoke didn't know what hit it. I laughed so much I lost my voice.

They..um, well they don't remember the end of the night. VFW = strong drinks.
They suffered terribly on my behalf. Razz

~Joe

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
chunk of brie, left out for a while, chunk of bread, smoosh 'em together. nom