Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
ooh, bollocks, there's metric cups too?

I'm really trying to train myself to use weights. And I know I should switch over to grams. So lately when I do up a favourite recipe I weigh it all out and put that on my notes. Eventually I'll re-type everything.

This is why I generally just chucks it all inna pot. Smile

I have onions and I'm contemplating some sort of potatoes au gratin with bleu cheese and cheddar cheese. maybe.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I tend to have things in metric and imperial, and I weigh to whichever has the clearest markings on the scales!

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
OK, sorry these are in American, but here goes:

Blonde Brownies, sometimes called Blondies. I don't add nuts or chocolate chips or sprinkles or sauce, but you can do all that if you like. But I'll copy out the recipes as given.

Ben & Jerry's version

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and lightly flour a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.

2. Beat the butter and both sugars in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, flour, salt and baking soda and mix thoroughly.

3. Spread the batter in the prepared dish. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

I think I found that recipe too sweet and not even remotely enough vanilla, so I went trawling and found this (which I've tweaked over the years)

Applebee's Blonde Brownies & Maple Sauce

Brownie dough:
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Maple sauce:
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Sauce: Combine syrup and butter, cook over low heat until butter is melted. Stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Add walnuts if desired.

Brownies: Preheat oven to 350F. Sift flour, add baking powder, salt and baking soda and sift again. Melt butter. Add brown sugar and mix well. Add egg and vanilla extract, blend well. Add flour mixture, a little at a time and mix well. If using them, add nuts and chocolate chips. Spread in a 9 inch pan. bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with slightly fudgy-looking crumbs.

I changed the following:
omit nuts and chocolate chips
use 1/4 cup melted butter
use 7/8 cup of lightly packed brown sugar. (I keep my old measuring cups around and generally use less and less sugar to see if I can get away with it. Smile)
I don't bother with the sauce, although once I did it with wine, that was interesting.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
I made mashed potatoes for the first time in YEARS with fresh roasted garlic (UMMMM) and vegetable broth and a crapload of butter. SOOOO in NOM NOM heaven right now.

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
Glad to see a crapload of butter there. Butter should always be precision measured, else you might not meet the nirvana that only a crapload of butter can induce. Never skimp on a crapload of butter, you only cheat yourself.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8099 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cavenagh:
Glad to see a crapload of butter there. Butter should always be precision measured, else you might not meet the nirvana that only a crapload of butter can induce. Never skimp on a crapload of butter, you only cheat yourself.

There's cups, there's ounces and then there's the Aitapatan Measuring System.

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
Well I peeled and halved the shallots, put them in a baking tray with red wine and balsamic vinegar, covered them in foil and roasted them for 30 minutes at 150C. Then removed the foil, added sugar and roasted for a further 30 minutes at 180C. They were delicious, although I think I could improve by cooking for longer on a lower heat.

Served with flat mushrooms topped with sweet potato and stilton mash, which really were very good.

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Calumny and dragones be there here
Picture of Fiori
posted Hide Post
That sounds extremely yummy, Fion. Shallots are kind of expensive where I live but that recipe sounds totally worth it.

I've been making breaded, baked porkchops for years now, and had always used store-bought breadcrumbs. Well, last night I realized that I didn't have any breadcrumbs and was both too poor and too lazy to go to the store to buy more. So, I made my own, and it was *very* easy and my chops were much nommier this way.

Breadcrumbs:

2 slices buttermilk/country style bread (I'm sure sourdough would be divine)
1 tbs dried parsley
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch dried oregano

toast bread in a toaster until well-browned but not burned. Tear bread into smaller pieces and place all ingredients into your food processor (or, in my case, my Magic Bullet). Process until the bread looks like coarse sand, or whatever your desired consistency.

Should cover 3-4 porkchops.

The Chops:

I usually use center-cut porkchops, but whatever kind is on sale works.

2-4 center-cut porkchops
1 egg
2 tbs water
breadcrumbs (about 3/4 cup)
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 lemon

Pour olive oil into a baking pan and turn to coat the bottom. Pre-heat oven to 425F.

In a wide bowl (I use those convenient plastic storage containers, myself), break egg and discard shell. Add water to the bowl. Beat together until thoroughly combined.

In another wide bowl, add breadcrumbs.

One at a time, dredge chops through egg mixture then through breadcrumbs, covering them completely. Place into baking dish. When all chops are coated, place baking dish into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes then turn them over. Bake for another 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chops from oven.

Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice over porkchops.

Enjoy!!

and when I said "hammer" I meant my..." - Captain Hammer

"The orange of your mind tastes like sunshine" - Furious

Posts: 507 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
That sounds wonderful!

I must confess, I love my Magic Bullet instead of dragging out the BIG food processor all the time.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Mmh, the home made breadcrumbs sound much better than storebought ones.
I usually mix the egg with milk!

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Calumny and dragones be there here
Picture of Fiori
posted Hide Post
Bee: I had no idea what a difference "fresh" breadcrumbs would make! Not that they're bad with the store-bought, but now that I know how easy it is I can save myself a little money *and* make something that tastes better!

Noodle: I use milk sometimes too, but I used water last night so that's what I put down. I don't think the extender you use for this recipe makes much difference really. I've used mayonnaise, and just melted butter before, too.

and when I said "hammer" I meant my..." - Captain Hammer

"The orange of your mind tastes like sunshine" - Furious

Posts: 507 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adoration of the Modii
Picture of Masque
posted Hide Post
Heya.. I made a successful Bulgogi marinade Big Grin

I didn't slice the meat thin before I soaked it in the marinade and plan om slicing it thin for roast beef sandwiches for graf's lunches.

here ya go..

3 cups soy sauce
(all the rest are "to taste")
garlic powder
onion powder
ginger powder
Kirachi chili sauce
seasame oil
1 cup sugar (can use less to taste)
4 cups apple juice (give or take, I used a quart tin, but not all of it.. I had a glass)
several grinds freshly ground pepper
2-3 cups water

Whisk all the ingredients together and then put the cleaned and wiped down meat..

I let the meat set for about 8 hours in the marinade.. then took it out and put it in a covered bowl back in the refrigerator. I thn roasted the meat at 350ºF until the internal temp was 160ºF...
the let it rest for at least an hour before carving.

-- Give a man a fish, he eats for the day; Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime; Teach that man to cook, and he can feed the world....
Head chef in the Realm of Procrastination and Unproductivity, Dp.u.: "You want fries with that?"
Holder for the Golden Pineapple Pin.
------------------------------------------------
If it is on the plate, its food. If it crawls off the plate; Kill it and put it back on the plate.
------------------------------------
I love small furry creatures; especially in a good sauce.

Posts: 13941 | Location: In the Kitchen, Cooking Something. | Registered: March 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
One pot pig fat+pulse+tomatoes thing, for fion's slow cooker.

I'd got a pack of thick-sliced belly pork in the reduced section I didn't know what to do with. So this is what I did:

Got a big pot. Put a smidgen (teaspoon?) of oil in the bottom. Using kitchen shears (because it makes it easier) I cut the skin off the slices of pork belly, then snipped the pork belly into chunks and dumped it into the pot. Lit the stove, medium, and poked the meat with a wooden spoon for a bit while it was browning.

In the meantime, I hoiked a really big bottle of passata (just tomatoes, pureed, nothing else in there) out of the cupboard. I was planning to use tinned tomatoes (again, just tomatoes, nothing else in the tin) but they were in the back of the cupboard under other tins, and I just couldn't be arsed. So passata it was.

I also got a tin of chickpeas out, opened, drained and rinsed them.

By this time the pork looked halfway done, and I was impatient, so I dumped the passata and the chickpeas into the pot, gave it a stir, added a few twists of fresh black pepper and a good slug of worcestershire sauce, bunged the lid on, turned it down to the lowest possible setting on the gas, and went to do something more interesting.

When I remembered about it, happily it hadn't burnt, or indeed burnt the kitchen down. (That's one of the perils of using the lowest gas setting: it's difficult to see and so it's easy to forget you have something on the stove.)

I had been planning to serve it with mashed potatoes, but then I thought: why wash up another pot when there's room in this one? So I cut three or four medium sized potatoes into little chunks (left the skin on), dumped those in the pot, replaced the lid, wandered off again for a bit until the potato chunks were properly soft.

Some time later it was done, and it was really good. It was even better the next day.

I had been meaning to put onions in there, right at the beginning, to use up a big bag of onions I have to other plans for, but I forgot. Didn't seem to matter.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
ooh, thankyou! I shall have to try it out.

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
It would work just as well with almost anything porky - I've done something very similar with chorizo before, and you get all the paprika flavour with that one, too.

Although I have a friend who refuses to eat chorizo on the basis that it is as likely to be equine as it is to be porcine.

Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeZee:
I must confess, I love my Magic Bullet instead of dragging out the BIG food processor all the time.

Y'know, my co-worker has said a similar thing before, and is it just me? Am I the only one who has to work really hard not to bust out with juvenile jokes about Magic Bullet, the vibrator?

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:
quote:

Y'know, my co-worker has said a similar thing before, and is it just me? Am I the only one who has to work really hard not to bust out with juvenile jokes about Magic Bullet, the vibrator?

No. Big Grin

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:
quote:

No. Big Grin

Heck, I figured that was a given when I wrote it Razz

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
I haz question for the all-knowing chefs of the Board. Do you guys use different kinds of oils for different recipes? If you substitute one for another in a recipe, is it likely to affect the taste, or is the smoke point the most important thing? This is coming from someone for whom olive oil is an exotic change from sunflower oil....

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
If I'm cooking food with a Chinese influence, then I'll use sesame oil. Otherwise butter, olive or sunflower. Occasionally meat fat (dripping or lard), but hardly ever. Each of these does make a difference to the taste.