Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
Page 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
 Login/Join

Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have good receipes for Quinoa?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
Well no, you lot have real food! Smile It is a real problem sharing recipes internationally, because foods we can easily find aren't easy to find elsewhere.

it just makes things interesting!
i actually want to try Ceri's version now...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jocelyn:
Does anyone have good receipes for Quinoa?

You can use it instead of couscous. I personaly like it with pisto, a ratatouille-like dish:

(I use these quantities when cooking for myself and i get two or three servings.)

1 medium to large aubergine
1 large courgette/zucchini
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 medium or 2 small onions (any, I tend to use red)
1 can pureed tomatoes (500 g?)
1 fresh chili, if you like it spicy
tomato paste
garlic
herbs: thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary (fresh or dried)
olive oil

1. Chop aubergine and courgette in thick chunks, salt and place in a colander while you prepare the rest.

2. Chop onion in thick slices, peppers in chunks, chilli in small flakes.

3. Crush garlic (1-3 cloves, to taste) and add to pan iwth olive oil, brown on medium heat.

4. Add herbs (if using fresh, they need to be thinly chopped and all hard stalks removed).

5. When it smells good, turn heat up and when the oil is very hot (careful not to burn the garlic), add aubergine and courgette and star stirring immediately so all the chunks are evenly covered with the oil. Aubergine will soak up lots of oil very quickly, so you do this to make sure all chunks are coated in oil so you don't have to add more.

6. Because the heat is high, stir often. The aim is to get all chunks turn a nice golden brown colour, for flavour, but they shouldn't be cooked through.

7. Add peppers and onion, stir again, there should be some oil left for the onion, if not add a bit.

8. When peppers and onion start to become soft, add chili flakes, stir a few times more.

8.5 - Add extras (*)

9. Add 1-2 tbsp of tomato paste, stir in well so it absorbs any excess oil.

10. Add pureed tomatoes, stir well, turn heat to low and cover.

11. Let it cook like that until it's done. I got no idea how long that is. Basically, after 20 min I taste, add salt as necessary (no sugar cause the vegetables should make it sweet enough, but to each their own).

12. If you think it's ready, you can add the quinoa -fully-cooked according to the packet instructions, or almost cooked so it finishes cooking with the heat of the pisto.

(*) Extras: you can sicillise this dish adding at this point chopped olives and capers or anchovies (as they're salty, bear that in mind when seasoning afterwards); or mexicanise it by adding at this point a can of cooked red, black or kidney beans (boiled, no sauces! and rinse before adding) and some smoked paprika and ground cumin.

Posts: 11803 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Cauliflower soup

1 cauliflower
1 large onion
1 liter of veg broth

sautee onions in olive oil till glassy, add broth and bits of cauliflower and cook for quarter of an hour.
Blend well until it is a creamy soup.

Add the juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper and nutmeg.

Man, the lemon really makes a difference. It turns cauliflower into a light summer soup!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: His Noodle Girl,

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
Ceridwen!
Look what I found!
a no-bake peanut butter pie with no whipped topping!
Cooks.com Peanut Butter Pie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Sweet! Smile That's exactly what I need - now there's just the matter of the pie dish left. I'm thinking of asking my mom to find me one in England and send it over. Then there shall be Oreo-crusted peanut butter chocolate pie goodness! Big Grin

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Clover, that sounds great! I'm going to give it a try, but possibly without the eggplant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
Sweet! Smile That's exactly what I need - now there's just the matter of the pie dish left. I'm thinking of asking my mom to find me one in England and send it over. Then there shall be Oreo-crusted peanut butter chocolate pie goodness! Big Grin

yay!

i made a chocolate pie for tomorrow's post-Mass family dinner.
same recipe as last week... but with milk chocolate instead of dark, and i'm trying lower-fat cream cheese and Cool Whip. Smile
also, i found the premade Oreo crusts in our grocery store!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by His Nodle Girl:
Cauliflower soup

1 cauliflower
1 large onion
1 liter of veg broth

sautee onions in olive oil till glassy, add broth and bits of cauliflower and cook for quarter of an hour.
Blend well until it is a creamy soup.

Add the juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper and nutmeg.

Man, the lemon really makes a difference. It turns cauliflower into a light summer soup!

This sounds delicious, but won't it make you fart like billy-oh?

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
Did we ever talk about a "World's End Recipe Book"? We could sell them and give the proceeds to CBLDF or something.

Anyways, POINT ME TO THE EGGPLANT RECIPES! I got some in my organic veggie delivery last week and all I can think is "eggplant Parmesan".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ladykatza:
Did we ever talk about a "World's End Recipe Book"? We could sell them and give the proceeds to CBLDF or something.

Anyways, POINT ME TO THE EGGPLANT RECIPES! I got some in my organic veggie delivery last week and all I can think is "eggplant Parmesan".

I found these dunno if they're any good though.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
There was a whole spate of eggplant recipes a few pages back, in case you missed them. See subsequent pages for some tasty-lookin' eggplanty recipes from clover.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
Thinking of eggplant, and therefore of the Board, I'm going to make caponata tonight. Smile
Eggplant
2 tomatoes
capres
olives
oregano
parsley
some vinegar
a stick of celery (which will have to be cunningly hidden as roomie hates it)
olive oil
possibly some of the roast garlic i made.

(side will be marinaded cucumber. Let the clamouring for "where are the sausages?!" commence Wink )

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
Not pie yet.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8099 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
sour cherries or sweet?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
Slightly sour and fresh from the tree.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8099 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
NOM!

Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
That looks SO GOOD! *salivates*

I gave G~R's Peanut butter & Oreo-pie a try on Saturday and took it to my best freind's boyfriend'S birthday party, but it was so hot that it all fell apart and became goo with crumbles by the time we wanted to eat it. Frown Also, it's definitely too sweet for my palate.

Maybe I'll try to make it more cheesecake-y and keep it in the fridge next time.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
(not really a recipe, 'cos I didn't measure anything)

Hot Italian sausage, chunks of that (out of the casing, although this is stuff we mixed up ourselves and never bothered with casings) fried with some pureed onion (or just carmelise some slices) and coffee.

Sauce was a really good sized dollop of sour cream, some squished garlic, some black pepper, a shake or so of yellow curry powder, a pinch of parsley flakes and a handful of parmesan cheese - heat up everything but the parmesan and add then when the sauce is bubbling, then stir.

Boil some noodles (I used egg noodles, but spaghetti or fettuccine would work fine too)

I kept the sausage and the sauce in separate skillets, just because I didn't know if Dad would like it, but it was pretty good. I got the idea from a recipe google and it said to add paprika, I was going to use chicken chunks, but thought, the sausage already has paprika, why not use that? So I did. It was nom.

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Tried this for my birthday and it turned out great. I copied it from something I had on a takeaway, so there might be more complete recipes out there. Also, no measures because I improvised and this was for 20 people. Just go with whatever seems right for you Big Grin

Mango noodle salad with lime-mint dressing and hoisin chicken

Make the dressing (more than you think you'll need):

Limes
Finely chopped mint
Some olive oil, some fish sauce, some rice vinegar

Cook rice noodles/vermicelli according to packet, cool with cold water, drain well.
Add half the dressing to noodles, mix well and let them absorb flavour.

Add:
Iceberg lettuce, in julianne
Diced mango (not too ripe or you won't be able to dice properly)

and the rest of the dressing, mix.

Sautee diced chicken -I marinated it in the hoisin sauce for an hour beforehand, but it might be best to sautee first and add sauce later. Anyways, make sure it's well-done, and add to the rest.

It's very yummy Smile

Posts: 11803 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post