Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
 Login/Join

Picture of champagneeyes
posted Hide Post
Low-fat, high-in-bioflavinoids chocolate truffles (from a Prevention Magazine Recipe)

2/3 cup of non-fat 1/2 and 1/2
4 oz bar of 60% cocoa dark chocolate
4 green tea bags
Sugar-free cocoa

Chop up the chocolate and put it in a bowl.

Simmer the 1/2 and 1/2, steep the tea bags in in for 5 minutes, then remove tea bags. Simmer again.

Pour the 1/2 and 1/2 into the bowl with the chocolate, then mix until smooth.

Put the bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes, stir every two minutes until it is at a good consistency.

Put the sugar-free cocoa in a shallow bowl. Take a tea-spoon of the chocolate mix, roll it into a ball, dust in the cocoa, repeat.

Makes about 20.

Thou art so true that thoughts of thee suffice
To make dreams truths and fables histories...
~John Donne

Posts: 176 | Location: In the pines, in the pines... | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al-Aura: The Anti-Maverick:
I have 2 packages of frozen egg noodles and a 1.5 lbs of chicken breast.

Anyone have a good recipe for chicken-n-noodles?

Frozen Egg noodles?

What sort of extras do you have on hand?

You could cook the noodles while chopping up the chicken into bite size pieces and then frying them in olive oil with lemon pepper seasoning. Add to the noodles (drained) and have a veggie on the side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I made veggie Hot Corn Soup for the Punk and Liliharas last Wednesday:

2 cans of sweetcorn
2 medium onions (or 1 big)
1 garlic clove
30g butter or oil (original recipe says chili or garlic oil)
25g flour (I didn't measure the last two ingredients, just wing it)
1 litre vegetable stock
125 ml single cream
1 red chilli pepper
chives
salt
lemon juice

Drain the sweetcorn. Finely chop the onion(s) and garlic and lightly fry in the butter or oil. Dust with flour, add the stock and cream and bring to boil. Add 1 can of corn, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then puree the whole thing. Chop the chilli finely, add with the other can of corn and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season with salt and lemon juice, sprinkle with chopped chives for added colour and serve hot in autumn/winter or chilled in summer.

N.B.: our onion was chopped a little less finely, which gives a little extra crunchiness we rather liked. And due to lack of a proper Magimix, we simply pureed one can of corn by itself before adding it to the stock and cream. Works just as well.
I ended up adding a little extra chilli powder to my own bowl, because I like it hot! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ceridwen,

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
ooooh, that sounds good!

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
I said to my mum that I would help her cook a turkey for Thanksgiving - a culinary adventure for both of us, as neither have ever cooked such a thing before!

Do any of you guys have good recipes that you might share? Even the most basic principles of meat-cooking would be most enlightening. Big Grin

Would this recipe for beer can chicken (fun! And sacriligeous!) be suitable for a turkey instead?

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Might be worth a try...
You'd need one hell of a beer can, though - the, erm, opening is much larger on a turkey than on a chicken.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mrrowr?
Picture of Meadra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aisha:
I said to my mum that I would help her cook a turkey for Thanksgiving - a culinary adventure for both of us, as neither have ever cooked such a thing before!

Do any of you guys have good recipes that you might share? Even the most basic principles of meat-cooking would be most enlightening. Big Grin

Would this recipe for beer can chicken (fun! And sacriligeous!) be suitable for a turkey instead?

This is one of the best roast turkey recipes I've ever had. The brining means you have to start working on it the night before, but it really makes a difference in the juicyness and flavor of the cooked bird.

The beer can chicken probably wouldn't work because you have to stand the chicken on end and I have never seen a non-industrial oven that would be big enough to do that with a turkey. It's really yummy for chicken though.

Meadra, Post Ranger

Head of the Guild of the Damask Rose

Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.
-- Janet Long

My Etsy shop

Posts: 5206 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
my dad fries a turkey in peanut oil. it is nom.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
Foster"s. maybe?

by the way, that corn chowder sounds yummy, Ceridwen -- I need to make some more thick soups; (the boys aren't into 'em though, alas)

pumpkin soup, pea soup, chowder ... (thinks wistfully)

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mrrowr?
Picture of Meadra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apathy:

My uncle does a fried turkey at his New Year's Eve party. It is SOOOOO yummy. I wish we've been able to go for the past few years, but it's too late for the kids. Maybe in a couple years...

Meadra, Post Ranger

Head of the Guild of the Damask Rose

Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.
-- Janet Long

My Etsy shop

Posts: 5206 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
like... a deep fried turkey? Strange Big Grin

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duncan s. (again):
Foster"s. maybe?

by the way, that corn chowder sounds yummy, Ceridwen -- I need to make some more thick soups; (the boys aren't into 'em though, alas)

pumpkin soup, pea soup, chowder ... (thinks wistfully)

Hey, I made chowder! And I didn't even know it! I have no idea what chowder is, and I made it! Big Grin

Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Meadra:
quote:
Originally posted by Apathy:

My uncle does a fried turkey at his New Year's Eve party. It is SOOOOO yummy. I wish we've been able to go for the past few years, but it's too late for the kids. Maybe in a couple years...

aww, they don't have a spare bedroom you could lock 'em in for the night? Razz

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
We do have a friend who doesn't do anything on New Year's Eve. I'm thinking maybe this year they can babysit for us.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Domitella:
like... a deep fried turkey? Strange Big Grin

Well, we eat fried chicken wings, and that's dark meat, sort of gamier than regular poultry.

Of course, we also eat deep-fried cheese, so . . .

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
someone suggested just today that I deep-fry Oreos. or Snickers bars. I am...curious.

~ fLame Woosh ~

posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the legendary deep-fried anythings... sadly, a lot of them really do exist:
Turkey, Oreos and Snickers are just the start!
Or how about that Scottish clichée, the deep-fried Mars bar?

Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
deep fried mars bars are wonderful

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
Ah yes, the legendary deep-fried anythings... sadly, a lot of them really do exist:
Turkey, Oreos and Snickers are just the start!
Or how about that Scottish clichée, the deep-fried Mars bar?

Go to the Minnesota state fair! There was a board meat there a few years back, one of whose purposes was the sampling of such things (also fried cheese curds- nom)

Posts: 6977 | Location: Fahrvergnügen | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Istanbul was never Constantinople. They lied.
Picture of Cyan Dream
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have any suggestions for chana masala?

This recipe has had the best results for me so far - it's the right color, and it smells right - but it still doesn't taste quite right and I'm not sure how to tweak it to fix that problem.

inagreyplace + colour theory.

Posts: 3426 | Location: purgatory, USA. | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post