Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    New (forthcoming) Movie Thread
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (forthcoming) Movie Thread
 Login/Join

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
Holy shit. Five-minute trailer for Cloud Atlas. Cloud Atlas, people.

Just watched this it looks aces!

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
THREE Hobbit movies!

I don't know whether to be excited or angry since so much of LoTR was edited out for the movies and The Hobbit was a mere slender tome compared to that story.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
THREE Hobbit movies!

I don't know whether to be excited or angry since so much of LoTR was edited out for the movies and The Hobbit was a mere slender tome compared to that story.

I really think it's just because Jackson is padding the story!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
quote:
THREE Hobbit movies!

I hope it's Tolkien padding and not just 4 extra hours of CGI.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I think it's Jackson messing with the storyline. I mean, I keep seeing trailers where blonde elfchickie is stroking Gandalf's face. It's been a while since I read the book, but I don't remember blonde elfchickie.

But I am in the minority in expecting a movie made from a book to actually follow the events in the books and not deviate except where it's something impossible to film.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the additional material comes from Tolkien's other sources (The Silmarillion etc.). Still, I'm doubtful about the whole three film thing. I don't mind Jackson's changes to the source material (even though I've read The Lord of the Rings about a dozen times, The Two Towers is my favourite film, in part because of the changes it made), but already with The Return of the King and definitely with King Kong I felt that the guy needed someone on the team to counteract his generous, undisciplined, "let's throw in this as well... and that... and that other thing... oh, and this would be great!" approach. At times he feels a bit like a kid under the Christmas tree who's completely over the moon with all the toys he got - which is great for the kid, but IMO he's a better director when he keeps himself in check at least some of the time.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
As far as I undestand it, the extra added chunk will be to do with Gandalf's extended absenses.

And narratively this does make sense. Otherwise Gandalf is forever wandering off from the party, leaving them to get into pickles before turning up like a boss, without much explanation for why he's been absent.

In LotR, it's told that at this time, the reason Mirkwood is ...murky is that Sauron (in disguise) has established himself at dol Guldor, and that its the actions of the white council that drive him out. The white council of Saruman, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel and co.

So this, to me, makes sense.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem with Gandalf just wandering off and then showing up later on. I read through The Hobbit just fine without ever knowing the why behind the evil in Mirkwood. I never read The Silmarillion.

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
As long as it's a well-told story, I don't much mind if he wants to use bits from other sources to fill out the gaps in the book. As long it's a well-told story.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
quote:
THREE Hobbit movies!

I hope it's Tolkien padding and not just 4 extra hours of CGI.

The third Hobbit movie will be entirely a denouement consisting of hobbits jumping on a bed in slow-motion.

Can't wait for the director's cut!

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Uh, they're on the bed, but that ain't jumpin'.

Here are io9's suppositions of what's being added.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:

There and Back Again and then There and Back Again and then . . .

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
The secret added footage for The Hobbit.

never gets old 

Posts: 258 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
And if you actually watched that for ten hours, you should check yourself in at a nice place with padded walls.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
This seems like a good time to repost this.

And here's a pretty good making of discussion, including a live rendition.

----

waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:

quote:
...They fight orcs who ride werewolves and giant spiders, so yeah, awesome...

Sounding more and more like King Kong to me. Wink

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm a little disturbed about Machete Kills because Robert Rodriguez brought back one of his leading ladies from another flick, Alexa Vega, in this film.

Here is how he filmed her character in the first film they worked together.

Here is how he is filming her character in Machete Kills.

----

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Shocking!

Still there is about 11 years between films, isn't there?!

quote:
Originally posted by Scootie Pie:
The secret added footage for The Hobbit.

never gets old 

I'd forgotten all about that! Aw, brings back many happy memories dancing round the computer with the kids. (and that feels about 11 years ago - but I reckon it's only about 5 isn't it?)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
Holy shit. Five-minute trailer for Cloud Atlas. Cloud Atlas, people.

Just watched this it looks aces!

I found some of the scenes in the book, although I understood why they were there very difficult to read (mostly the brutal ones which reflected the savagery of the times) and I'm not sure I'd want to watch them, even if the rest of the film is brilliant.

I'm a wuss that way.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Judge Dredd: sans cheese this time.

Comparison

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Furious,