Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 174
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
 Login/Join

Village Elder
posted
some one remind me to make sure my kid takes a nap.
It's been very windy lately, so I brought the small inflatable pool inside so it wouldn't blow away. my 2 1/2 year old has been playing in it (it's empty of course) all day. A blast. But it's 11pm, I never made her take a nap, and so I walk in the living room to see what she's up to.
She's asleep.
Standing up.
The side of the pool is proping her up. She's folded in half, head hanging upside down on one side of the pool wall, her feet firmly on the ground on the other side.

...I think it's time for me to leave the boards for the night. see you tomorrow.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL...that is too funny. Wish you could post a pic of that!

Posts: 66 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the mental image is burned in my head. GM, don't forget to let your little one take a nap today. In fact, that's good idea.

Posts: 936 | Location: N. Miami Beach, FL | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ViciousKitty
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to find the oldest thread I could, and bump it up.

*Bump*

And I thought it was really cute, and hey, GMZoe, has Zoe done anything else cute? I hope she's not too neglected while you're refereeing all our crap.

Posts: 389 | Location: Alabama | Registered: June 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrggh!

Picture of Ja (Evil Genius Kitty) Nell
posted Hide Post
See, though, him being a parent means he's got experience at it already.

Posts: 3618 | Registered: July 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
ok, my latest zoe story. She just woke from a nap and groggily exited her room saying "I want more. Dada, I want more"
"want more what?"
"I want this."
"what?"
"This."
"what?"
"I want more shoes."
turning into a fine young lady. Already desires a larger show collection (first thought waking up)

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doddering stodger
Picture of Robbie
posted Hide Post
Oh dear, I hope you have an understanding bank manager and a large credit facility.

Posts: 10241 | Location: sheffield, uk | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost dauphin of the throne of Scotland
Picture of elizabethanne
posted Hide Post
Now THIS is a pleasant and fun thread!
Kitty (may I shorten your name), what a good one to bump up!
GMZoe-Have you gone shoe-shopping yet? wink It will be a nice break from all of us... smile

Posts: 5630 | Location: Scotland!!!!!!! | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Karyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
ok, my latest zoe story. She just woke from a nap and groggily exited her room saying "I want more. Dada, I want more"
"want more what?"
"I want this."
"what?"
"This."
"what?"
"I want more shoes."
turning into a fine young lady. Already desires a larger show collection (first thought waking up)

Spoken like a true woman!

*laugh* She's starting early ^^

~Karyn
How cute smile

Posts: 325 | Location: New York, New York USA | Registered: June 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ViciousKitty
posted Hide Post
So cute!
May I recommend the little maryjanes with the red glitter all over? I've seen them on small girls a lot lately, like little ruby slippers, and they make me wish I had such tiny little feet, as I want a pair very badly. Unfortunately, I am a half size to large to shop in children's shoes. But they are soooo cute!
Wait until she gets into the lip gloss phase like my neice. If it's lip gloss and comes in cute little purse, she has to have it. If it comes with body glitter, that's just a huge plus.
Funny how excited they are to receive little plastic purses and that fake make-up. I won't even go into the little kitchens, and pans, and fake food...
As much as I try, my neices only want girly stuff.
me"But the plastic snake is soo cool!"
neice"NO, I want the barbie head with fixable hair that you can put make-up on!"
me
And I AM a woman.

Posts: 389 | Location: Alabama | Registered: June 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
she may get those shoes soon. We haven't decided on a halloween costume yet, but it's currently either Dorthy or (my preference) Kiki (from Kiki's delivery service--she keeps stealing my broom to play kiki!).
Oh, and I know what you mean about purses!
BUT
A purse isn't good enough. When she gets her purse out she asks for money everytime! So she gets a penny or two. Her mom told me that she was offered either a dollar or a quarter, and she took the quarter (since the paper thing wasn't money in her eyes).
-GMZoe
(luckily, she also pretends to be monsters. "dada, I'm a monster, roar!" Of course when I'm a monster it's "dada, don't eat me!")

Always the April Fool
Picture of Manxom Vroom
posted Hide Post
big grin My daughter's six, so I know how it is to be the dad of a little girl.

Posts: 10542 | Location: Detroit Rock City | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of merkatroyd
posted Hide Post
That is too funny. My daughter is now 2 and 4 months and has just started in with the mind-boggling torture (I'm sure for both of us) of pointing toward the kitchen table area and saying "I want this". I say "What?" she reiterates "THIS!" I go over and begin pointing and picking things up. "NOOOOO! THIS!!!!" this goes on for a very long time until she gets very angry with me. I have no idea what she wants. The only thing I haven't actually tried is picking up the kitchen table - "This?". That'd be a little out of line, I should think. Now that she's graduated (somewhat) from washable crayons to washable pens, she wakes up in the morning and first thing out of her mouth is "Colors!?!". I swear she shouts this out in her sleep, too. It's very hilarious to watch the mind develop in a small child as well as the vocabulary. I love this time, as I will likely every other time along the way. It's all been a great deal of fun so far, can't imagine a time when it won't be.

She's not interested, yet, in "girl" things. But, we'll see. She's mostly into monkeys, letters and numbers, as well, of course, as any form of coloring device. Oh yes, and dancing. Lots and lots of dancing. Along with music, of course, but it has to be danceable. This is really the only interest she has in television of any sort - the background music. Otherwise, she could very well do without it (thank god!!!). Well, she's now coloring on her arm so this shall have to stop for now.

-Merkatroyd

Posts: 1264 | Location: Huntington Beach, CA USA | Registered: July 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
You have to wonder where this idea of girly things come from when your daughter watches Godzilla flicks and runs around saying "dada, I'm a monster! Roar"

-GMZoe, who made a point of putting post 1000 on his daughter's thread. This one's for you babe!

oh dear, maybe I shouldn't send this in. The board is so fragile, my odometer rolling over may break it... if the board crashes tonight - it's My Bad!

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
me: ow
zoe: what happened?
m:I hurt my foot
z:I hurt my finger
m: oh yeah? what happened?
z:It fell off

Everyone watch where you step! My daughters finger fell off somewhere around here!

[This message has been edited by GMZoe (edited 10-19-2001).]

posted Hide Post
April-

That is TOOO funny! My son, Niklaus, is two and five months and does the SAME THING! It will go on for close to half an hour. smile Maybe they all go through it around that age?

Last night, I asked Niki if he wanted to go bye-bye, his response, "Absowutley, Jezka!"
I don't know why, but I just thought that was so cute! smile Wish he'd call me "mom", though. . . .

Posts: 438 | Location: Hanford, Washington, USA | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another cute Niki incident:

Niki and I are in the bath with a bunch of bath toys, mainly boats and fish. His favorite blue fish floated to my side of the tub, so he couldn't really get to it. So Niki starts to call "Here fish, here fishy fish!" Then he started making smooching noises at the fish, trying to get it to come to him! He's so cute! smile

Posts: 438 | Location: Hanford, Washington, USA | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of merkatroyd
posted Hide Post
Kane..heehehehehhee! Seriously laughed out loud at the fish tale! My daughter has a couple favorites in the tub, but lately for some reason, above all the damn "bath toys" you buy, her favorite is the empty Sesame Street bubble bath bottle. She's now learned the fine art (and mighty good aim, I'll add) of filling it and squirting it at me while she giggles hilariously.

Her latest phase is this one: no matter what you say "Do you want dinner?", "Do you want more water?", "Do you want...." her answer is very firmly "I DON'T want dinner! (water, poop, bunny, cat, whatever. Then, well, since you brought it up and she's not familiar with negatives and positives yet, she's really annoyed that you don't bring her more water after she specifically said "I don't want water!!!". It's a new language we're learning here (both of us) and it's working out quite funny.

Oh yes, and another particular favorite - the pictures in her fish books (she can name all of em - I didn't know what a flounder looked like until this book came home with us) She races forward to the page with the crab/lobster/and starfish on it and holds up her fingers, making pinchy motions and yells "PINCHY CRAB!!!!" This is, indeed some funny stuff around the place here.

Yesterday morning, she laughed until her face was bright bright red and tear were streaming down her cheeks when I reached in through the slats in her crib and started tossing her toys, so they twirled and flew up and out of the crib. She kept screaming for me to go get them and do it all over again. After about 10 minutes, it never lost it's humor with her. Wonder where she gets that goofball sense of humor from...hehehehe

-April

Posts: 1264 | Location: Huntington Beach, CA USA | Registered: July 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ViciousKitty
posted Hide Post
Ok, after reading all your cute stories, I may decide again I want children after all. I spent last weekend at a wedding, and the 6 yr old flower girl's mom wasn't there. I was the only one who would actually take responsibility for her. I had to argue with her that she couldn't pick up the fork off of the tray with apples, bite of a piece of apple, and put the fork back on the tray. She kept telling me "I have a fork" And I kept telling her, "But you Have to keep the fork! No one else will want to use it now!" After ten minutes, and physically restraining her from putting the fork back on the tray, I finally marched her over to the trash can to throw the fork away herself. I am a great believer in making kids do stuff for themselves, even if you have to stay right with them, rather than doing it yourself cause its easier. And I may have been out of line, but I think it's never to early to learn good hygiene.
Good grief though, that child was NONSTOP! I always thought that even if they are hyper, they'll crash eventually. I kept encouraging her to play tag and stuff with the guys, on that principle. No. She had been picked up early that morning, ridden six hours, run around, talked constantly but not just chatter, she had to have your attention for all of it, and at 11:30 Pm, she showed no signs of slowing down! Suffice it to say, when I got back, I came so close to making my husband wear TWO condoms, I was so anti-children.

Picture of merkatroyd
posted Hide Post
I guess when it's YOUR kid, it's kinda funny, VK. But, truth be told, my daughter already understands stuff like that. In fact, she gets kinda pissy if you don't give her a napkin with her dinner because she MUST wipe off her face and hands during the meal. Also..and I kid you not - you hand her anything and she, absolutely without fail, says "Thank You". And if the giver isn't paying attention or maybe isn't quite as polite, she'll stand there and look at them for a moment and finally SHE'LL just say "You're Welcome!" Sometimes parents forget that these are almost little cameras and recorders running around. They'll do what their parents do and if their parents don't explain stuff like "Hey, that's mom's drink." or "Sweetie, you have your OWN fork and it's just for YOU". They grow up to be those kids ya wanna smack in the puddy at the grocery store.

Right now, our big thing happens to be that she also MUST have a cup and a straw (stated as such: "cuppanastraw!") or she's not having it with dinner. Only dinner, mind you. Breakfast and lunch are cool with no straw, but dinner's gotta have it. So, I guess maybe she's not just a little tape machine, she's also mildly obsessive about some darn things.

No rush, though. Hey, I waited til I was 31 to have her. And to those naysayers - ONE is just fine, no need to breed a flock. Besides, I don't think I can read "There's a Monster at the end of this book" another three thousand seven hundred and forty nine times....hahahaaa wink

-April