Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
Page 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... 174
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Devlin's bedtime procrastination is: If he's reading, he's allowed to stay up another 10 or 15 minutes.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
Good, because there's a war in Pakistan.

Conversation overheard between Graeme and his mother-in-law:

Graeme: War is a good thing.
MIL: No, it's not. It's not a good thing at all.
Graeme: Then why do we 'honour our fighting men.'
MIL: Because when we do have to have a war, it's a very difficult and very dangerous thing to do, and the people who fight wars for us choose to fight.
Graeme: Wow, being a soldier is awesome.
MIL: Well, it's an honour, but it means you might have to kill people and that you might end up getting killed too. Would you think it was awesome if your dad was a soldier?
Graeme: No, I don't want him to die.
MIL: But you understand that if he was a solider, he'd be dying trying to protect you.
(pause)
Graeme: War is complicated.
MIL: Exactly.

I like my mother-in-law.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
Having met both your MIL and Graeme, I can pciture them having this conversation. You have a pretty awesome family, Mr. Dweller.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
My mother-in-law is a libertarian in Republican clothing. It's been very interesting these last ten years to watch her devotion to the Republican part begin its dissolution. They're mucking about with people's lives too much.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
My 4-year-old woke up crying: she'd dreamed she had a balloon and I took it away.

And she went back to bed smiling happily when I promised her I'd try to have a dream where I'll give her a new one. Big Grin

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
That is the PERFECT answer, Tis!

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
So, last weekend I bought a whole roaster and portioned it into its parts to freeze - first time I've tried it, but I've watched videos and read quite a bit about it.

Brandon was fascinated, particularly by the loud chopping noises and sawing sounds, but he also wanted to know what the different parts were that I was portioning.

I separated a leg in the traditional fashion - pressing down on it until the bone pops out of joint and then cutting at the joint - and held it up and said, "And there's a chicken leg."

Cut to two days ago, when Brandon comes in off the porch saying something most incomprehensible, but obviously a bit upset. He's holding a small jeep with a bent axle and broken wheel. I bend it back into shape and reattached the wheel, all with Brandon saying the same phrase over and over. Suddenly, it dawns on me. He's saying, "We have a chicken leg."

A wheel snapped off, a leg butchered. The kid's making connections.

- G.K. Chesterton

Calumny and dragones be there here
Picture of Fiori
posted Hide Post
My roommate's daughter is really starting to babble. It's awfully cute. Over the weekend she looked at her mother and said, I swear, "I am the devil".

She hasn't started spewing pea soup or anything and hasn't repeated the phrase so we're taking a "wait and see" attitude. (She also hasn't said any other comprehensible sentences so we're still pretty worried).

and when I said "hammer" I meant my..." - Captain Hammer

"The orange of your mind tastes like sunshine" - Furious

Posts: 507 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Graeme and Christy are currently working on a sudoku in the other room.

I always knew that eventually Graeme would be capable of things that I'm not capable of. I just hoped it would happen after he got into grade school.

- G.K. Chesterton

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
My middle kiddlet is taking her Grade 2 piano on Saturday and her Grade 5 flute on Sunday - and is in a tis! (sorry Tis!)

She played flute for a year age 9, and started again at secondary school, a year ago. Saved up to buy a flute (well most of it) skipped grades 1 & 2 and took grade 3 and got distinction after six months. (clever girl) She started piano six months ago and skipped
grade 1.

Now she's complaining that she'll never be child progedy because I didn't make her play instruments when she was younger.

You can't win can you. Push 'em and be damned, don't push 'em and be damned.

Keeping my fingers crossed for her on both days anyway. Hope she enjoys it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
Tori is exploiting her new-found ability to speak in complete sentences. To be a horror.

In the car:
Tori: *starts bouncing in seat, which is strictly forbidden*
Tori's dad: "Stop that or I'll put you out of the car"
Tori: *stops bouncing*
Me: *sits and minds my own business*
Tori: *points at me* "I think you should put her out of the car!"
Me: "Wuh?"
Tori's dad: "What?"
Tori: "Out of the car! Out of the car! Out of the car!" *recommences bouncing*
Tori's dad: *headwheel*

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
The kid's making connections.

I LOVE watching that happen Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
Oh, the joys of Geek parenting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
i'm not laughing...really, i'm not.

my brother's 2 year old potty training son was left unattended for a very brief time without his nappy on...he, erm, pee'd on my brothers xbox!

nope, not laughing *wipes away a tear*

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by other ladykatza:
Oh, the joys of Geek parenting.

I've just completed my first module for Graeme with very dumbed down d20 rules. Laserstick McGee vs. The Evil Lord of Pinatas. I'll let you know how it goes.

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Could someone fix the transporter so I can send my kid to Dweller's house?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
The pinatas drop candy. You want to eat the candy, don't you? Might make you stronger, might turn your laserstick into a rubber chicken. But you want to eat the candy, don't you?

Maeve, once I'm done typing it up and everything, I can send you a copy. If you have a twenty-sided die, a six-sided die and a large sheet of graph paper, you should be set.

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
All set? Like.. Set enough for someone who has participated in one roll-playing game? And I say participated, really I was just bored and in a room full of reasonably good looking men who honestly didn't know I would have slept with any of them, right then and there. Um. So my plan failed. Did I mention that it was a Cthulhu game? That whole night was surreal. Smile

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
All set? Like.. Set enough for someone who has participated in one roll-playing game?

hehehe ya n00b Razz

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm too clueless to even be a noob! What level is below that?