This topic can be found at:
http://neilgaimanboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/588609765/m/426600865

October 08, 2009, 05:57 AM
aisha
not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
Touché. Big Grin
October 08, 2009, 05:59 AM
Dweller in Darkness
It's rare for Graeme to concede ground like that but, really, he'd been outmanoeuvered at that point and he new it. I mean, three animals (and a chipmunk) on one is a tough battle.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.
October 08, 2009, 06:44 AM
aisha
Yeah, somehow his self conviction is all the more impressive for knowing when he's beat. You're bringing up quite a boy there - fearsome intellect combined with (even more dangerous) total sweetness.
October 08, 2009, 07:12 AM
ladykatza
So Simon and daecon were having a discussion about food. Mostly about Likes and Dislikes and Some Allergies. At one point in the conversation Simon says "But EVERYONE likes chocolate."

daecon points out this is not actually the case, that our friend J does not like chocolate. So with a sly grin on his face Simon says "That must be because J is choctose intolerant!".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not
October 08, 2009, 07:16 AM
Dweller in Darkness
That's a good summary of Graeme, aisha.

LK, daecon sounds like a clever one as well.

- G.K. Chesterton

October 08, 2009, 07:17 AM
ladykatza
quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
That's a good summary of Graeme, aisha.

LK, daecon sounds like a clever one as well.

daecon = my husband, and he certainly is. Simon is on his way there.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not
October 08, 2009, 07:24 AM
Dweller in Darkness
I typed in Simon initially as I know he's your son, but then thought, "Hrm, must be daecon's an alias." Blasted inability to read antecedents.

- G.K. Chesterton

October 08, 2009, 08:33 AM
Artguy C.
I would like to see about getting our kid onto the Tutor list to receive instruction from Graeme and Simon (whenever they start taking new students).
Dylan is only 2 months old, but I think that he'd do well to spend time with smart guys like these.
October 12, 2009, 02:15 PM
Dweller in Darkness
So, Graeme often walks up to the graveyard past my in-laws' place, usually while walking the dog with my mother-in-law. He likes the place, particularly all the tombstones which go from before the civil war to modern day. Apparently, every time he goes, he separates from my mother-in-law and goes off to a corner of a mausoleum. She asked him why. He goes there, he says, to pray for my grandmother, who died last year, and that my grandfather wouldn't be sad anymore.

Have I mentioned that I love this kid?

- G.K. Chesterton

October 13, 2009, 09:09 AM
Artguy C.
Okay,- that is precious!
October 14, 2009, 08:14 PM
Jena
My kid just took a pen apart. And put it back together. Correctly. She's 3. I don't think I could do that until high school!

Shit, we are SO screwed. Razz

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure
October 15, 2009, 03:17 AM
ladykatza
Simon has gotten really good at doing math in his head. Felicity asked me how many days 60 hours is and Simon said "Less than three, cause three days is 72 hours".

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not
October 15, 2009, 06:01 AM
Dweller in Darkness
quote:
Originally posted by Jena:
My kid just took a pen apart. And put it back together. Correctly. She's 3. I don't think I could do that until high school!

Shit, we are SO screwed. Razz

Christy's brother was much the same. He's now an engineer and a damned fine one, constantly getting headhunted. Word is he was an incorrigible one for disassembling things long after he knew well enough to listen to mom and dad, but he did get over it.

Very cool, though.

Is it just my perception, or are kids actually learning faster? Simon's got a great grasp of math, Graeme's 6 and can multiply double-digit numbers without paper, Jena's girl understands the works of things and Brandon, who's two, can read single single-syllable words.

- G.K. Chesterton

October 15, 2009, 06:14 AM
Maeve
I'm inclined to think your kids are brilliant. Dev's best was knowing the alphabet at age 2. He didn't know it merely by rote, he actually recognised the letters. And I was happily doing addition and multiplication in my head at Dev's age. I disliked subtraction and division. Dev is capable of larger number muliplication (like the other day I was factoring how big to make the to-be-felted purse and needed to know how many stitches, so I asked him to help me figure it out, 3x16=... and it took him a little while, but he got the right answer. He did have to write it down and he's still at the stage where 3x16 means that he adds 16 together three times, but... despite the road he follows to get there he eventually gets to the right answer.

And what is he doing in school? Time. or 9+3. Roll Eyes

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

October 15, 2009, 08:13 AM
Dweller in Darkness
What grade is Devlin in, out of curiosity?

I was astoundingly good at maths when I was young, but once we got past algebra I got lost very, very quickly. Only course I've ever failed was in trig.

- G.K. Chesterton

October 15, 2009, 08:43 AM
ladykatza
I'm pretty good with what my husband calls "intuitive math". In other words, I can formulate answers from something that's sitting in front of me. Daecon is very good with systems theory. Simon seems to have gotten those genes from both of us. We didn't give him a head start and he's already bored in school.

Felicity is already showing a great aptitude for things like sewing and construction.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not
October 15, 2009, 08:49 AM
Maeve
3rd grade.

I loved algebra, it was the teacher(s) I didn't like or understand. I do now and it's possible I would have understood back then, but no one even tried to explain it to me.

And while Dev is capable of figuring out the answers, I truly doubt he would be consistent at doing it. He quickly gets bored. But I do like giving him situations where math is actually useful.

So far his favourite subject is recess. Smile He says he wants to be an Engineer. I think he wants to make Transformers, for realies.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

October 15, 2009, 10:37 AM
ladykatza
Show Dev this, its even got a cool sound track.

edit to add: Less fluff, better robot

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ladykatza,

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not
October 15, 2009, 04:08 PM
Weeble
[off topic] I like your new avatar, LadyK! [/off topic]

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

October 15, 2009, 06:08 PM
ladykatza
quote:
Originally posted by Weeble:
[off topic] I like your new avatar, LadyK! [/off topic]

THANKS! (it fits my mood lately)

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not