Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
Page 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 174
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
 Login/Join

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Where's it from?

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Where's it from?

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Edit to Add: So to make this more on topic. The character is called "the Major" and she's basically a human brain in a prosthetic body. Its not clear how old she really is, the story sometimes gets disjointed. But during the opening sequence she's doing a back flip off a building. My daughter was watching and said "Why is she doing that! Humans can't do that!"
I explained "she's really a cyborg".

"Oh, Ok, that's fine then."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ladykatza,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I hope my middle kidlet and her friends don't mind this here. If they do, I will remove it - but for the time being, they rushed to get a picture with a giant boobie! (all for cancer aid of course)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
my 3 year old niece decided that the 3 pink horses of various sizes were actually billy goat horses, so she really should build a bridge.

off she went to the kitchen, and came back with an armfull of invisible bricks, which she put down in front of the horses.

"what do I need now?"...
" I know! A Troll"

Big Grin

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
How cute.

I am looking forward to A reaching that super-imaginative stage and seeing what kind of stuff he comes up with.

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
That's when she went and got Aunt Smaug, right? *ducks out of thread*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Dragon, not Troll.

*breaths fire on JP*

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Calumny and dragones be there here
Picture of Fiori
posted Hide Post
Roommate's child has started playing pretend. This mostly entails going around pretending to give us all cake, candy, pie and cookies. Oh, and pretending to take a nap, then sitting up and saying "WAKE!" as loudly as she can. Which, at 2 1/2, is pretty loud.

and when I said "hammer" I meant my..." - Captain Hammer

"The orange of your mind tastes like sunshine" - Furious

Posts: 507 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
I now have random piles of wood all over my yard because Simon's idea of playing outside is to have his "peons" (read: the neighbor kids) play live action Warcraft III. I'm thinking "have them go mine some gold while your at it".

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hehehe

That Simon is one to watch. Big Grin

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I've passed it off for years, but Devlin really seems incapable of following verbal instructions. Simple, complicated, doesn't matter, he will stand there and do nothing and whinge that he can't find it/do it/is this is?

I can't understand why he can't follow directions and so I get more than a little snippy (which is something I shouldn't do), but how do I get him to follow directions?

Like, the other day at the grocery store, I stood in line and wanted a few more of these cool fold-up/take along bags. They were in a display at the end of our line. There was a woman in front of us buying her stuff. I told Dev to go around to that display (I pointed at it) and get us a blue one and a red one. He didn't understand 'go around'. I finally got him to understand to go through the empty aisle next to us and to the display stand. He got there and asked what I wanted. A red one and a blue one. A purple one? No, a red one and a blue one. .. sigh.

He finally got it, but honestly, there were a lot more ums and huhs in there and even the woman at the checkout was surprised at how many times I had to repeat myself.

And I just wonder if he's really challenged or if he knows that if he pulls this stunt often enough we get frustrated and just do it for him.

He's clever enough at other things, why not this? I know I'm not a great teacher, but... how do I teach him to follow directions? Obviously I'm not doing such a great job.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first guess would be that, seeing how smart he is otherwise, perhaps he's just being a kid and seeing what he can get away with not doing.

Being as you're the one who knows him best, though, if you suspect there's more to it I'd go with that. Don't know what to suggest, though. I haven't gotten to that stage with mine yet, since he's still a baby. And when I was a kid myself and pulling stunts like that, it was just obnoxiousness on my part.

Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I could be just him being bloody minded, and I think that's the most likely, but when I was a kid I don't know if I'd be able to keep that kind of psychological experiment up for long - especially if the parent was getting angry.

I dunno - as chickie says, you know him best, if you think he's genuinely unable to get what you mean then maybe it is something worth looking at.

It just does seem an odd area for him to have genuine difficulty in - it's not something that seems like it could be isolated, if you see what I mean? I think a learning difficulty or something would manifest in other ways too.

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
It does seem an unlikely learning disability, but he does it with *everyone* All of his teachers since pre-school have noticed it. And he really does just stand there and stare at you as if you're speaking a foreign language.

But howinhell do I get anything checked out? I mean, it's not a medical problem, so his doctor wouldn't be able to help. And I likely enable the habit by just doing it for him. sigh. He is only 9, so maybe those abilities will come later?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention it to the doctor at his next check-up. He/she might think of something you didn't.

enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
I have experienced similar things; in some cases, it's been ingrained by my/our just getting frustrated and doing what needs to be done; in other cases, there are cognitive issues involved.

Sometimes it's a matter of phrasing it differently..? "Hey, see those bags over there? I like the red and blue ones; can you go around and get 1 of each for me?"

There are actually quite a few steps to have to keep in mind in order to pull that off, and maybe it takes some people extra long to clear their buffer of extraneous bits and keep just the relevant steps, and their sequence, in mind.

Patience and practice (and not having it done for you/him) are the best I can suggest.

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Patience, oh dear, I'm all out. Smile

Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
Having him repeat the directions back to you first can also help. Some people are very good at looking like they are hearing you when their brains are actually fully absorbed with something else, even if that something else is imaginary/fantasy/whatever. (No, I'm not speaking from personal experience AT ALL on that!)

Also, I agree with Day. If it's something all his teachers have noticed then it's not just you and it couldn't hurt to mention it to a doctor or other resource at his school.

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
But howinhell do I get anything checked out? I mean, it's not a medical problem, so his doctor wouldn't be able to help.

Could it be something akin to central auditory processing disorder? I'd bring this up with your GP, just to be sure.

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
Reading a book called "A Mind at a Time", I have discovered there are types of auditory disorders, and problems with processing more than one direction at a time. I would try two types of experiments.

One: Give Dev a direction, have him repeat and then do. Once he completes that one, do the next direction with the same process. See how that goes.

The next experiment is to write down some instructions. No more than three steps for the first trial run. Don't forget to number them. Ex:

1)Go to bathroom

2) collect all towels.

3) Put all towels in dirty laundry (wherever you put them)

Its really a mater of figuring out where in the brain the information processing is breaking down and then learning to get around it. I have similar issues with Simon, though not quite so pronounced.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not