Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
Page 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 ... 174
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
 Login/Join

Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Graeme came downstairs this morning with a pair of track pants, T-shirt, socks and underwear. He told us he decided to go with a plain pair of underwear instead instead of his "lacy ones."

He's six. He has no underwear beyond the purely utilitarian. We asked him to produce the "lacy ones," which turned out to be a pair of Christy's.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAAA OMG *WHEEZE*

That's about as funny as watching my Dad swear a blue streak about his 'shrunken jeans' while hopping about on one leg until Mom stopped laughing long enough to point out they were MINE. (Back when I weighed MUCH less, not to mention he's over six feet tall)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Very often Christy ends up taking over my T-shirts after they've been washed a few times and the cotton shrinks.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Okay, last night, putting kidlet to bed on the eve of his eighth birthday, and having a little chat, as we do. We'd seen his dad (at his grandma's), and kidlet asked me to tell him how his dad and I had got together, so I did. He knows babies are made with a seed from the daddy and an egg from the mummy of course, and knows where the seed emerges from and where the egg lives, but he didn't know how the two actually made contact, so asked about that for the first time. So I told him.

He collapsed in helpless laughter, and laughed for ages. Not embarrassed giggles at all - full-out belly laughs at the utter ridiculousness of the whole process. When he was done, he looked at me fondly and said "You're funny."

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
Well, in fairness to the child, helpless giggles is a perfectly reasonable reaction when you actually think about it...

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
Big Grin that is awesome!

My parents gave me an Educational Book with Diagrams and told me to contact them if I had any questions or needed clarification.

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember my science teacher teaching us sex-ed, but I remember at the time already knowing about sex. I can't remember how I found out though.

I remember someone asking my science teacher if sex felt good and he was somewhat enthusiastic in his confirmation.

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
we had a vague idea, thanks to Emily A, and Emily A's Big Sister. I think I was more surprised about how the babies got out than how they got in - I thought it was all done with operations.

Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I learned it all in kindergarten from two brothers. They were the youngest out of six children in a very open-minded physicians' family in a house with thin walls. I imparted my newly found knowledge to my older sister at the dinner table... she was completely shocked and asked my Mom if it was true that a boy had to pee in her tummy to make babies.
Something got lost in translation there...

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I know we've had this discussion before, but I need to have it again. I'm looking for good "pop music" appropriate for for a Kindergartner. Any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
I learned it all in kindergarten from two brothers. They were the youngest out of six children in a very open-minded physicians' family in a house with thin walls. I imparted my newly found knowledge to my older sister at the dinner table... she was completely shocked and asked my Mom if it was true that a boy had to pee in her tummy to make babies.
Something got lost in translation there...

*falls out of chair laughing*

@JP - Honestly, I'm not big on the whole age appropriate thing. When Simon was in Kindergarten his favorite song was "Days of Swine and Roses". Right now its "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo. I usually only edit for songs that convey a violent message and swearing for the purpose of swearing (example a: Fatboy Slim is F***ing in Heaven). So far both our kids like The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Souxie and the Banshees, Oingo Boingo... others I can't remember.

Unless you just want POP music, or maybe something she can dance to? There's a "Kidz Bop" cd running around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. Ro can sing Katy Perry and Scissor Sisters songs. Pretty sure several of those aren't age appropriate.

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
It's not so much age appropriate in the sense of it needs to be cutesy or something only a kid would listen to (one of her fave songs is Blitzkrieg Bop, she loves dancing to the "Mojito", and enjoys Let's Get It Started by the Black Eyed Peas (who I hear are definitely NOT for young ears if I listen to other songs?) not exactly 'kids music').

No, what I'm talking about is Pop Music that isn't Taylor Swift, for example, which if you listen to the lyrics of some of her songs are very high school themed and definitely not what I want M listening to right now. Yet she knows of Taylor Swift from kids at after care, and while I know she's not really listening to the words to understand them as much as to memorize them so she can sing them, I just don't want my kindergartner singing it. She got Camp Rock last year, and the songs she likes off it are perfectly fine for her to listen to and learn and sing. Even a few of the Hannah Montanna songs I've heard her sing are cute/fun and very poppy. But then there are artists, like Taylor Swift, I think 'nuh uh, no way'. Call it a gut reaction, a knee jerk, but there's something different about that. So it's gotten me on a kick for fun pop music that doesn't have anything to do with understanding you better than your girlfriend does, and we should really hook up, and if you could only see that I love you, swoon swoon. Smile

Anyhoo, maybe this is full of contradictions, I don't know, but I'm looking for music that she'll readily accept in place of the Taylor Swift CD that she is definitely not getting from Santa for Xmas Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
So yeah, I was typing after you edited your post, Lady K, and hi, Jen! As you can see, I'm looking for Pop Music.

This isn't about exposing her to other music and finding other stuff she likes. I listen to a whole bunch of stuff in the car or on WOXY that she enjoys hearing in the car and dancing to around the house. We listen to a lot of alt/indie rock stuff, and jazz, and classic rock, and Madonna, and Sting and whatever. No, this is very specifically about "modern pop" Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
I'm a HUGE Taylor Swift fan so I guess you're not getting any help from me! I sort of understand what you're saying about her lyrics but in 10 years you'll be thrilled if she's listening to music that says that boys aren't the most important thing in high school rather than "I'll smack your ass, bitch!" :P

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Dev demands to hear the Commentary songs from Dr Horrible, he especially loves NPH's song, some of the lyrics that he cheerfully belts out at the top of his voice are: I'll charm the chicks, Are those things real? and I asked him what he thought the song was about, he doesn't have a clue. He also loves The Ramones and I'm really quite happy with him not being able to understand what they're singing. Smile

So yes, it can be very disconcerting to hear adult-themed words and phrases coming out of them, but it's really just because they like how the song sounds.

And I'm afraid I am not help at all, 'cos I don't listen to pop music, I groove to alternative and there aren't many stations around here that play it, so I have to hunt down new music on my own. Sandra Boynton's Philadelphia Chickens can be listened to for free at that link, but the book is sooooo much fun and also has the music written out, in case anyone is musically inclined. Dev used to love listening to the songs and flipping through the book.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
We accidentally taught Tori 'If I had a million dollars'. She seems to like it...we have not told her the name of the band, though, for the sake of her playgroup teacher's sanity.

I dunno, kids in my family just get everything in the collective repetoire thrown at them until something sticks. Brendan's currently on a Kila kick and I'm plotting to introduce Becca to Tom Petty.

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I just play music. I'll skip over some songs for content, particularly romantic content. Not just sexual, but romantic - I really don't like the boyfriend/girlfriend thing that happens in grade school.

Beyond that, I don't really pay much attention and Graeme eventually finds the stuff he likes. He loves Death Cab For Cutie and Barenaked Ladies more than anything, but occasionally asks for Mike Doughty or Bruce Springsteen.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scourge of the Lower East Side
Picture of Nel Gurgle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I know we've had this discussion before, but I need to have it again. I'm looking for good "pop music" appropriate for for a Kindergartner. Any suggestions?

You ever check out Tom Chapin after our visit? I don't know if it's 'pop', but it's damn catchy and not uber annoying to adult aural sensibilities.

----------------------------
Official Pineapple Master General of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination

He said 'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it....

Posts: 14738 | Location: 'burbs of Chicago | Registered: September 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I used to listen to Tina Turner when I was little - it was the first music I really liked, and I got the CD out of my dad's study. Noooo idea what any of the songs were about, but did grow up with the vague idea that if you don't have anyone to dance with at a disco, you can hire someone so you don't feel lonely.

meticulously avoids clarity
Picture of NicoleH
posted Hide Post
JP, have you checked out the new They Might be Giants release 'Here Comes Science'? That could be good. Ummm. The Glee soundtracks would probably be poppy and inoffensive, too! Also I recall the CBC Radio 3 podcast doing a kid's special with lots of Canadian indie music, which was awesome and could be a good starting point!

----------------------------------------------------------
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2642 | Location: Tronno | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post