Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
Page 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 174
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

not at all to do with Gaiman, or any of you
 Login/Join

the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Our nephews LOVE the Webkins.
They seem to get a lot from their investments.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
A few friends had their kids buy a WebKinz without knowing about the whole expiration of subscription thing, until their kids tried to long on and the lovely home for their orangutan was just gone.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
So tomorrow, what do I tell a little girl who still believes but who didn't get The One Thing she wanted from Santa? Rae tried to talk with her about it today, because she (Rae) is upset that Santa is going to really let M down this year. In the course of their conversation the list got shorter and the phrase "because Santa can do anything" and "I hope I've been good enough this year to get it" popped up. I've done what I can to set up realistic expectations, to talk about a wish list, not a shopping list. I'm sure I sound like a schmuck here, that "she'll get over it" and all that, but it doesn't feel good to disappoint your kid, especially one that isn't as materialistic as she might sound in this instance, and really doesn't ask for a whole lot from us. Still, maybe she'll realize the few smaller things that were on her list, and think the things not on her list are still pretty cool.

Sorry for the ramble, just an evening mood is all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Kidlet loves Christmas, but I'm glad he loves Halloween even more!

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
JP, at this point, I'm not sure there's much you can do other than wait and see and respond appropriately.

Kids are empathy sponges. If you and Rae are nervous and on edge, she'll be nervous and on edge. Be relaxed and calm, wave off the fact that she didn't get her most wanted present like Santa's just going to get to it next year or later on, maybe he ran out of stuff . . .

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Based on your post in the "toast" thread, I'm guessing things didn't go too bad - how was it?

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Heh, pretty good, better than expected in many ways. She was definitely disappointed that she didn't get the iPod (as soon as she had assessed everything from Santa, she said aloud, but to herself, "It's ok, yeah, it's ok, this is cool"; I wonder if she knew she said it out loud), and the new winter jacket completely bombed (to the point that she'll be wearing her too-small winter jacket for the trip Roll Eyes) . The CDs she seemed to enjoy enough for a while, and the PC and the doll were big hits. She totally scoffed at the headphones, until I told her she could borrow my MP3 player for our trip, and use her headphones with it (playing her new music, of course) and that seemed to completely make her day. Between my player and her PC she kept herself pretty well occupied all day Smile

At one point she told us how happy she was that I was letting her borrow my MP3 player since she didn't get her iPod. Rae and I took the opportunity to talk about it, and M rationalized it that maybe Santa didn't think she was old enough or knew how to use one, so if she practiced on mine then maybe she could show him and she'd get one next year Smile She did mention that she wished she'd gotten the Taylor Swift CD, but that Hannah Montana would have to do Razz She didn't hide her feelings on the matter of presents but as I said, it seemed to be a successful Christmas.

Thanks for the support, and for asking. It was definitely one of these oddly stressful parent things, but we muddled through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Hang on JP - you got her a PC at the age of 5, and you were seriously expecting her to feel shortchanged?

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Well, the PC was a used one we got for $50 from Rae's office, and more to the point this was from us, not Santa. And this wasn't her feeling shortchanged as for what we were getting her, rather that she wasn't really getting anything on her list to Santa. The iPod and a Nintendo DS and a Taylor Swift CD were the top things on EVERY list she wrote this year (yes, she wrote more than one), and the iPod was the ONLY thing she talked about for the last week. She didn't ask for the PC, she only asked for the doll last weekend so it was new on the list and we weren't really sure how much she really wanted it or how much was an impulse "cool!" when she saw it. She didn't ask for any of the three CDs we got her (more appropriate than Taylor Swift), nor did she ask for the two shirts she got.

It's not that she's spoiled and doesn't appreciate the things she got. She loves the computer, and the music, and even the shirts. No, this was what do you say to a little girl who still believes in Santa, who has this amazing fantasy of magic and technology to explain how Santa does what he does, how Santa can do anything, and yet she's not getting ... well, really she didn't get anything on her list, except the doll and a few gifts that were more affordable/appropriate tangents. So yeah, she got a PC, but she didn't ask for it, and it didn't come from Santa, so the issue was still there. As I said, though, it seemed to have shaken out ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
Christmas turned out OK for the kids. Simon was disapointed at first and was REALLY confused when his grandmother gave him a Wii game. "But we don't have a Wii!" he exclaimed. So then I explained that I had ordered one (through a discount purchase program at work) but it had been too late to get here by Christmas. He was super happy about that. Oh, and Simon liked the jacket I made. It totally made him look like Ringo Star.

Felicity got her very own sewing machine, an old Singer Featherweight. Her Uncle made her a little table, even carved her name in the side. And Dad refinished my old icecream parlor chair to make it look good as new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we could buy Graeme a Blu-Ray DVD player and if it wasn't what he wanted, he wouldn't care a whit that we spent a ton of money on it. He's getting a better grasp on the idea of money now that he buys his own comic books, but it's still pretty faint.

Graeme and Brandon got . . . toys. I can't count or explain how many. They came from relatives in Calgary and Toronto and Guelph, from his grandparents in Burlington, from his grandparents in New Hampshire, and from us.

He got a little mini basketball game where you have to shoot the ball into a hoop with a little paddle, another massive Lego set, a bunch of Hot Wheels, a football, a magnetic marble set, a bunch of miniature things to add to his animal collection (which includes a griffin) and a ton of other stuff. Nothing huge or spectacular this year, apart from the the Lego pirate ship for his birthday.

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Awesome about the sewing machine. My folks have a couple of featherweights and I have a slightly older all-metal Singer (forget the year, early 50's maybe?) that I've used to do basic piecing and my mom has used to do some minor repair work on some clothes. Talk about they don't make 'em like they used to!

M just told me that she really loves her new backpack. I forgot to tell you all about the backpack Smile Found a plain brown canvas shoulder bag online for super cheap, and then had mom and pop embroider some patches - hello kitty, a peace sign, some hearts, the word Love - and sewed them on the large flap. While M was at the shop last weekend she saw a bag pattern and the sample my mom had made, it had rainbow rickrack around it and M said, Grandma, someday I want a bag with this around it. So my mom added it to her new backpack Smile She loves it so much she's made it her suitcase for our trip and has ALL of her clothes and some jewelry and small books (and my MP3 player Roll Eyes) packed in it. Good thing her clothes are still relatively small Smile Too cute. I'll have to upload a picture soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
My husband and I talked about the Wii for a good long while. We decided to go ahead with it because I like it and so do many of our relatives. So when when the money gets tighter (which it will) we'll have even more options for home entertainment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of cheap, cute games for the Wii as well. And perhaps a boardie game exchange program?

- G.K. Chesterton

Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
I kinda get freaked out by how much my niece and nephews get for christmas here!

They get 2 garbage bags fun of presents each, it's mostly the plasticy kind of junk thats gets lost or destroyed in a year, I can't help but see it as an imense waste of money that teaches the kids not to value their possesions, the 6 year old is onto his 2nd DS in 2 years!

They each got a book from us, as though they have a lot of books none of them are actually any good or age appropriate, mostly disney gumf. We are trying to correct this. Also I think we were the only ones to give the 3 year old girl not-princess related crap, as this stuff really gets on my nerves.

Edit: ah crap this is hal the christmas scrooge apparently

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5631 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I think we actually get more from our parents now than we did when we were little - but then we used to get presents from alllllll the relatives too, as well as our stockings (I think my parents might have helped Father Christmas with that?). Now we've called off the general relatives present giving (we really don't need that much stuff) and my mum and her sisters only get stuff for their child-age nephews and nieces.

We still don't *quite* get a binbag full! (but I got lots of warm stuff for Canada!)

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post

My Tori.

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
auuuggghhhhh

*dies of cuteness attack*

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
How adorable!

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Terribly angelic!