Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Wedding Proposal Stories
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wedding Proposal Stories
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
awww, Circus, your story made me grin! (my eyes are slightly teary from allergies, I swear.)

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25165 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
I enlisted the help of certain board people to surprise Jocelyn.

*Looks around shiftily*

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12864 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Booknutt
posted Hide Post
I proposed on stage during one of our favorite bands concerts. Talk about nervous as all get out. Had a speech written out and everything, but once I got up there under the lights & in front of everybody, I was so nervous I just winged it.

Most have winged it pretty good, she said yes. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That which we manifest is before us; we are the creators of our own destiny. Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves"
— Garth Stein (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

Posts: 185 | Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern US. | Registered: June 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
I'monna paste the story from my engagement announcement thread :
quote:
TLOML calls me after work and tells me he's had a crappy day and that he demands beer and meat, specifically a burger only available at a restaurant downtown. He tells me that he's already arranged to meet with his buddy and his buddy's girlfriend, and I should be ready to go when he gets home. I give a sidelong look to the pile of laundry we have to do before we go to Baltimore this weekend, shrug and say m'kay.

So the thing about this restaurant is that it's around the corner from our friends' old apartment---the apartment of the dinner party where we met. Backstory time: The night that TLOML and I met, I was supposed to be set up with a different guy, but TLOML decided I was meant for him, so we flirted all night and when we parted ways after the dinner party, he told me how he liked hanging out with me, and that we should do it again, and I was in agreement, and then we parted ways and...d'oh he realized didn't ask my number.

Okay, so back to the restaurant. We sit down and he checks his phone and says his buddy just texted him, they haven't left yet, and to order with out them. So we do. And we sit and chat, and laugh and his buddy doesn't appear to be joining us, and he tells me that he's glad because we haven't had a date in a while. We get the check, and he says he'd like to get some dessert, so we walk around the corner, past a couple of homeless dudes, and stroll in front of the door to the old apartment building.

"Well, I've had a great time with you. We should hang out again." I say jokingly.

He stops, smiles, and says "This is what I should have said the first time I met you:"

Then he got down on one knee, pulled the ring out of his pocket and asked me to marry him.

Then I did a happy dance, I think my first words were "Shut. Up." and then I kissed him and said yes, yes, definitely yes that I would marry him.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
me and Dan went on a weekend away to Paris via the eurostar train.

We were having an awesome time, cycling everywhere seeing stuff eating great food.

We cycled up to montmatre one evening and went for dinner we then watched some fire poi dancers in front of the church up on the hill, we then wandered through the crowds and tourist shops and then found a park bench to rest on for a bit in the moonlight.

I was fishing for his opinions on marriage and asking what he thought about it. He said: Do you wanna get married, to which I replied well someday.

He then asked "well will you marry me?"

To which I sat there stunned for about 5 mins, looking nervous, before replying in the positive.

I also have a photo of the spot, which i took cause it's purdy!

Posts: 9889 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
I think Matrix enjoyed making me be semi-traditional with this. It was our 1-year anniversary, we went to dinner on the waterfront (the Italian restaurant was unfortunately closed due to a kitchen fire, but we found another place), and then took a walk down to the pier. It was misty/sprinkling, as often happens in Tacoma, and I remember realizing that Something was happening when he knelt on the wet pier. He slid the ring onto my hand and covered it(fear of dropping it in the water!) and THEN asked me. I finally stopped trying to get him to stand up out of the rain and wet long enough to say "Yes" because he wouldn't let me see the ring until I did! Smile

Oh, and I just remembered that since it was wet and rainy I think I wore jeans and a sweater instead of a skirt or dress. I swear I would live in jeans if I could! Big Grin

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5269 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jena:
I swear I would live in jeans if I could! Big Grin

Me too! I've recently had this discussion with a friend on another board about why I hate wearing skirts. Apparently I suck at explaining because she doesn't understand.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25165 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
*snicker* The only GOOD thing I can think of about wearing skirts is easy access... Wink

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5269 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domitella
posted Hide Post
I like skirts, I can just never get sandals that don't rub so I never have anything to wear with them.

Rome wasn't built in a day. But I wasn't on that particular job. - Brian Clough

Posts: 20846 | Location: Lon-don | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
A few months before proposing, I was driving us home, and Tongster looked really nervous and blurted out "I don't know what kind of rings you like."

And I said "What?"

And he said "I've been trying to figure out what kind of rings you like, but I can't."

"Um. I've been avoiding that section when we go into jewelry stores so you don't feel pressured."

"Well, stop it."

"Okay."

And we drove for a while. And I said "We could go look at rings next weekend."

"Sure. I wanted to surprise you, but I don't know what kind of rings you like."

"Okay. You know that's not a proposal, right? Because I'll say yes, but you have to give me the opportunity to say no."

"Yes, I know."

So we went ring shopping and talked about it, and we ended up designing a ring together. I figured that this was all a ploy to buy time, and that he wouldn't actually get the ring and propose for like, a year. Because that's pretty normal.

Tongster proposed to me on my birthday weekend, which was a bare two months later, way earlier than I was anticipating. He was very sneaksy. Here's my blog post of how he surprised me with the birthday get-away (t-minus twenty hours to proposal):

quote:
Originally posted by me on my blog:
So, for the last... over a month... Chris has told me that he had to work in St. Louis this weekend. For the whole week, actually. That he'd be out of town for my birthday, and that he was so sorry, and "Honey, you still love me, right?" And I said "That's okay, dear." and "Maybe I could go along?" and "I'll find fun stuff to do in St. Louis - we have friends there."

I made someone send me something so I could give it to JP in person. Then JP said he'd be out of town, and I was generally pissy about having to spend my birthday weekend in St. Louis without him and Rae, with Chris working and ignoring me, in the heat and humidity (though I was still psyched to see CancerDusk).

So today, I got packed, and I got my suitcase, and I got in the car and Chris drove us to the airport. Which I thought was a little weird, because he usually gets me to drive. And he kept on looking at directions, and the airport is really easy to get to, but I thought he was trying out a different route. In fact, he told me he was trying a different route. And the road we took was really small, and crowded, but again... different route. He kept on saying "I love you, Honey." and I thought he was saying that because I was being so nice about the St. Louis thing - I hadn't yelled at all, hardly.

I didn't realize he'd pulled one over on me until we were in San Rafael (North of San Francisco - not in the direction of the airport at all) and he mentioned that we were close to Tiburon. And I said "Honey, isn't that North of San Francisco?" and he started giggling. "We're not going to the airport, are we?" and he kept on giggling.

We were practically on top of the B&B we're staying at this weekend before I figured out we weren't actually going to St. Louis.

(He did this last year, when he and Noelle plotted to fly her out from Albuquerque for my birthday and I didn't know until she walked through the door. Noelle has such a hard time keeping a secret, she just didn't call me for three months. I was living with Chris, and was still totally shocked, he didn't let it slip at all. So, I think the question is... am I actually living with an international man of mystery? Chris could be James Bond, and it appears I wouldn't notice until the credits rolled.)

I had no idea at that point that he was going to propose the next day. That night we went out to dinner and were walking up and down the main street of the little town, and we stopped in at a jeweler and Chris asked me if I saw anything I liked better than the ring design we'd been talking about. (He later said that was a strategic move on his part, to throw me off. He had my ring in his pocket that night).

The next day, we went up to China Beach and walked around and had a picnic and went for a walk on the beach. And we sat down on the rocks and were watching the ocean. And he pulled something out of his pocket (I didn't notice, I was watching the ocean) and he said "Jocelyn?"

And I said "yes?" and looked over at him. And he looked really nervous.

And with his voice shaking a little, he said "I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" Actually, I'm not sure that's what he said, it was a little bit longer, but I was laughing at the thought that he would be nervous and don't recall what he actually said. Why would he be nervous? I'd already told him I was going to say yes. And I was so happy, that made me laugh harder. I laugh when I'm extra happy, because the joy won't stay in, but I felt a little bad and tried to rein it in. And he opened the box and I didn't notice because I was looking at him and he was so handsome, and I said:

"Yes, of course I will."

And he said "What?" because the ocean was loud and I was still laughing a little.

"Yes of course I'll marry you."

and he waved the box at me a little bit because I was still staring at him like an idiot and saw nothing else. And I gushed over the ring and we took this picture:

And then we walked along the beach cliffs a little more, but the beach was rocky, so we went back to the hotel. And after a while, I called a bunch of people and they all asked if he got down on one knee and I explained to them all about the rockyness of the beach, and Chris laughed at me for a change.

Posts: 8059 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
I posted about this a few years back when it happened, but a retelling is always fun.

After Daniella and I had lived together for a few years, we started talking about getting married, and this lead to talking about rings. As we are both just a wee bit on the opinionated side, the discussion about and search for a ring was quite fun. I was on the side of wanting a complete surprise, she was on the side of picking everything out ahead of time as she wanted it to be perfect and such. We compromised in that we found a couple bands that we both liked, but I would pick one of the bands and the stone (I am not a fan of white/clear diamonds [which she didn't want anyway], so she knew she was not getting one of those, but had no clue what stone she would get.) This gave me the chance to have some fun with the surprise proposal bit.

So after buying the stone and ring, I had the night all planned out. I would take her to a show at the Ordway Theater in downtown St Paul and propose afterward in Rice Park amid all of the ice sculptures from the winter carnival.
Well, the ring was potentially going to be late, so I missed the weekend I wanted. Then we had a weird warm spurt where it actually got above freezing, so most of the ice melted. During this stretch the ring arrived, and I decided I really thought Rice Park was still pretty enough even with all of the melting ice, so I bought some chamber orchestra tickets for the next weekend.

We went out to a nice dinner (nothing too fancy as I didn't want her to know anything was up), and then off to the orchestra. After the show I suggested a martini at Kincaids (across the park from the theater). On a side note, the warm spurt had ended a few days earlier and the temperature had plummeted to somewhere around -18F with a wind chill down around -30F. As we were walking across the park, I stopped her and said I had something to ask. Her initial reaction to me stopping was something to the effect of confusion meets freezing, but then I went down on one knee and asked her to marry me, and the cold seemed to go away for a bit.

Oh and I went with an orangey-brown diamond, and it turned out pretty well I think:

-Ivan.

Posts: 1945 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
Wow...those rings (hand pic', tawny stone) are gorgeous!

Mary Ann's engagement ring was/is less (many things) than I would have hoped, being as poor a saver as I am; our wedding bands were more of a joint decision / special selection.

I did leave out the part about calling her dad the night before, not for permission of course, but as part of 'the process'. He was amused by that. Smile

(not his real name)

Posts: 6848 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome ring!

the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Dug this thread up from the olden days of 2009, but found the entries to be touching still, and wanted to add ours to the lot.

I waited until m'lady went to work and painted a cloudy purple skies onto our restroom ceiling, finishing an hour before she arrived home. There were flowers leading the way from the door to the spot and in the far corner I used a post-it note to write the words, "Marry Me Brynn"...

She was so surprised to see the ceiling that she almost overlooked that corner note, and while she was off-center I was able to tell her that I could not offer the moon and stars, but I could give her the sky and clouds at the very least, and presented the ring as I took a knee before her.

THAT is the way that I was able to marry above my class, and I'm certain that she still wonders how I was able to talk her into it. Wink

Posts: 2643 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
holy thread necro batman!
it is a good one though.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1945 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
I didn't think it was Necro until it reached the last page before Archival.(had 2 pages left 'til then!) -But thank you Sir! Wink

Posts: 2643 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Heh, this is awesome. Thanks for the revival, Artguy!

My story. Rae and I had dated through college. The summer before our senior year we got to talking about getting married, and started looking at rings. One summer weekend Rae went to the mall with a few of her girlfriends, and while shopping around she found Her Ring. And bought it. Then called me and told me she had her wedding ring. A weekend or two later I went down to visit and she showed me the ring. I told her to take one last look at it, that the next time she would see it was when I would ask her to marry me. That was August. Her birthday passed. So did Christmas. I asked her to marry me on December 29 so we were engaged when we joined all of our friends for our annual New Years party. The only awkward part of engagement night was having the ring in my coat pocket and the hostess of the restaurant pressing me to check my coat before sitting. I was NOT leaving the ring in my coat and had no easy way to get it onto my person without being obvious. So I kept my coat. Apparently that didn't give anything away, and the engagement later at our favorite park was a complete (and cold 29-degree) surprise Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22746 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, the ol' hide it in the coat-pocket' trick!

Kudos also for choosing a perfect date to pop the question! It is highly doubtful that you will EVER forget your anniversary with a date like that one!!
(not that you ever would of course).

Well played Sir!