Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    We'd better have a sodding Christmas thread, eh?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We'd better have a sodding Christmas thread, eh?
 Login/Join

Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I decorated my corner of the office a little today (tinsel on the pot plants, a garland and a ceramic Santa).
Christmas wishes are trickling in from people. Haven't bought anything yet, but I Have A Plan. All books will be ordered from my beloved indie bookstore at work. They usually get them the next day, and I'll just pick them up on my way home. Everything else, unless it requires shopping around, I'll order from amazon to be delivered in one big package during the week before Christmas, when I'm off work and can schedule my time around the delivery.

But I completely forgot about Christmas cards (again)! Quick, who wants one? I don't have a lot people's adresses - so many of you have moved!
Ooh, or shall we do a Seekrit Santa Postcard Circle again?

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
here's the best Christmas tree you will ever see in the history of the universe, ever.

GODZILLA TREE! OMG OMG OMG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green-Robot:
so.... my in-laws just dropped by with a gigantic real Christmas tree "for BooBoo".
they also brought a tree skirt and a string of lights.
i have no tree decorations and no idea where we are going to put this thing... Confused
oh well, we have a tree!

I've got a biggish living room, but I like a big tree. What I do to reduce the tree's floorspace is to hack away some of the base foliage on the back of the tree - so you have the tree looking like it's going into the wall in the corner, a bit. Also, I find that removing the very bottom-most of the big branches on the tree means I keep the height and bulk of the tree, but again reduce (sometimes quite considerably) the floor area the tree takes up.

People only look at the front of the tree, anyway, so nobody notices! Or if they do, they are too polite to say anything. *I* don't notice, after I've done it and dressed the tree.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
We're (hopefully) moving some time in the next couple weeks, so no tree for us! I did get a wreath to hang on our front door though, since it's easily transportable.

GR, why not string some popcorn and cranberries? It'll be easy and cheap and look just as nice as ornaments. Or you could do paper snowflakes!

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
we put up the tree! took a trip out and bought some decorations and it's really nice Smile

TM chose our wedding colors for our tree's color scheme (our anniversary = 2 days before Christmas).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no maps for these places we're lost within
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2535 | Location: Happy Place | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
It's lovely!

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
I just bought this for Simon. I'm sure I'll regret it later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping Dev never sees that video!

We put up the tree last night and I'm hoping that my Jack dressed as Santa comes soon. I also have an Xmas Opus on the tree.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
What a brilliant idea Lady K! They're brilliant.

GR your tree looks beautiful!

btw That school fete I mentioned? I won 1st prize in the grand draw! (£250 vouchers) Do you think I should give my kid half - even though she wouldn't even come with me? (in the spirit of Christmas and all that?!!)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2705 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motley:
btw That school fete I mentioned? I won 1st prize in the grand draw! (£250 vouchers) Do you think I should give my kid half - even though she wouldn't even come with me? (in the spirit of Christmas and all that?!!)

Congratulations! And no, it's yours Razz

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
ditto to Hive! Congratulations and buy yourself something splurge-y!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I wish I could remember how long a real cut tree in a heated room lasts without going too crispy. Anyone any ideas?

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
I wish I could remember how long a real cut tree in a heated room lasts without going too crispy. Anyone any ideas?

Trying setting fire to a small portion of a tree, just a branch or two. If it smoulders, then it's good for another week or so. If it catches fire, then you have only a few days left. If it incinerates the entire tree and catches your flat on fire, then I will delete this post.

(Typically, four to six weeks, so long as it's a good proper tree and you keep the roots watered)

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember watering it once a day? And we have a woodstove to heat the house, so it gets pretty dry in this house.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you two. I think I'll hold off buying it for a bit longer, so it's still springy at christmas. (And I'll try to remember to water it, but that belly-wriggle slide on the floor with a watering-can, under an increasingly crispy tree, is one I often forget to do.)

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
That and sneezing/watery eyes/chest congestion from the pine smell is why I got a fake tree.

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
- real tree
- cat

NOPE

btw if we do a 2nd tree upstairs, it's getting decorated in Pez, because Pez.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I saw Lord of the Rings Pez and thought of you, Furi.

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I saw Lord of the Rings Pez and thought of you, Furi.

Believe it or not, I don't want them. They look a bit off.

And no Sauron? Boo...

EDIT: Wouldn't mind the Presidential Pez set though, especially with the possibility that a Richard Nixon Pez will be made in the future.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
The one I saw had Sauron in it. Well, Sauron's Eye and yeah, they did look weird.