Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    We'd better have a sodding Christmas thread, eh?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We'd better have a sodding Christmas thread, eh?
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't have a recipe - I never liked gingerbread and I suck at pastry decoration. Try the King Arthur site?

My Jack Skellington came yesterday and is perched jauntily on my tree top! It's larger than I expected.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mean Old Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:

My competitive little mind now wants to make - well, not this, but *something*.

Gingerbread Pompeii! Build a little gingerbread house, with a couple of little gingerbread men cowering under a little dessert-wafer table. Dust heavily with candy sprinkles and poppy seeds. Fill to the rafters with boiling treacle. Allow to cool for 2000 years. Serve.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
I've got a question. Do you guys have specific things that you bake every Christmas?

For me it's always got to be sugar cookies, chocolate turtle cookies, and hershey kiss cookies. Sometimes I'll make a batch or two of fudge to share too.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
I always make sour cream cookies, Hershey Kiss cookies (Smalltown, are yours peanut butter cookies? B/c mine are) and cardamom braid.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Other than Grandma's Super Seekrit buttery biscuits (UK definition), Cinnamon Clouds and Bremer Brot* are traditional in my family. I like to make the former, my dad the latter.

* I can't find the proper recipe or even a decent picture anywhere - I'll have to wrestle the recipe out of Dad somehow and post it here.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Every Christmas eve until she passed away my Grandmother would host a Christmas eve party for for her kids and all their family.
She would always make black walnut fudge, pecan pie, sugar cookies with MnMs, lemon meringue pie, cherry pie, rhubarb pie, chocolate cream pie and so much other cakes and stuff.
The pièce de résistance was her Jam cake. She would make one for each family.

I have a cousin who carries on the tradition and has recorded many of the recipes . Smile

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Christmas-shaped peanut-butter/macadamia nut cookies garnished with M&M's/Reeses Pieces.

YUM

Posts: 32868 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mean Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:

My competitive little mind now wants to make - well, not this, but *something*.

Gingerbread Pompeii! Build a little gingerbread house, with a couple of little gingerbread men cowering under a little dessert-wafer table. Dust heavily with candy sprinkles and poppy seeds. Fill to the rafters with boiling treacle. Allow to cool for 2000 years. Serve.
Oh, please? And document it with lots of pictures? Pleeeeease?!?!?!

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pelham Bleatwell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:

Christmas-shaped peanut-butter/macadamia nut cookies garnished with M&M's/Reeses Pieces.

Define "Christmas-shaped" in twenty-five words or less.

*poff*

Posts: 93 | Registered: October 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
It's the same shape as Jesus' birthday.

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pelham Bleatwell:
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:

Define "Christmas-shaped" in twenty-five words or less.

*poff*

Youknowthestandardpinetreeorthecandycaneorsantafaceorreindeerheadorgingerbreadmanthatoranyshapecoveredinredorgreensugar.

Razz

Posts: 32868 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Scarf!

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35348 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smalltown:
I've got a question. Do you guys have specific things that you bake every Christmas?

For me it's always got to be sugar cookies, chocolate turtle cookies, and hershey kiss cookies. Sometimes I'll make a batch or two of fudge to share too.

-Toll house chocolate chip cookies. My mom always made really strange cookies at Xmas, so I just try to make something normal.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post

IMGP9319-1 by Lester Z, on Flickr

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Zombie:

IMGP9319-1 by Lester Z, on Flickr

Most excellent! And Scrooge-y Big Grin

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
posted Hide Post
We have been sporadically picking away at our Lego advent calendar, what with 2out of 5 participants being out of town til next weekend. And Emma and I assembled a full (gallon) batch of eggnog on Monday(?), but otherwise bupkis. I picked up a few gifts ~a month ago, but way behind. (it'll be a smaller Xmas this yr anyway, or at least more smart-sized, last yr was a bit extravagant)

I think tree will wait til next week when we're all around to decorate; Chilly Willy can go up today, though.

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
posted Hide Post
And re: cards, I love to get 'em, but have proved myself utterly incapable of following up on plans to send cards out.

Stepmom & Pops have invited us to South Carolina; it'll be a circus, though, not sure how to politely decline.

(not his real name)

Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Lester, you're awesome. Big Grin

Dad finally called today with his wish, which I can luckily get very quickly on my way to or from work. Then I'm actually pretty much set, except for the few presents I'll be ordering from amazon (I want to be here when the package arrives, so the ordering requires precise timing).

Still haven't written any cards, but I bought some. I might do that today and post them tomorrow.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Lester, dammit, may I share that on FB?

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Lester, you're a Tom Waits Christmas song personified.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post