Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    We'd better have a sodding Christmas thread, eh?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We'd better have a sodding Christmas thread, eh?
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I'm stealing Lester's Santa hat to put on my avatar.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
Lester, you're awesome. Big Grin

Indeed he is.

(I may have to print out this year's Lester Card.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weeblegeddon:
Lester, dammit, may I share that on FB?

Share away.

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
How about this for a festive lawn ornament?

It's from this "worst nativity sets ever" blog, but it's, uh, not a nativity. No, indeedy.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
Is anybody else really creeped out by the Elf on the Shelf?

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of Elf on the Shelf, but after reading some of the comments, it's way creepy!

Why is it so difficult a concept that children can be taught to do the right things without resorting to spying and tattling?

ETA: this was one of my favourite weird displays - this was local and if I wanted to go almost anywhere I would see it at least twice.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Puck's God-Child
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or does Santa look like he's a little pissed off? Almost.. plotting..

I am here under duress. Save me!

Posts: 3912 | Location: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: December 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
I'm just confused as to why there's an albino palm tree hovering over baby Jesus.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smalltown:
Is anybody else really creeped out by the Elf on the Shelf?

YES! I both know about this, and am DEEPLY creeped out by it!

----------------
Never stare into a car's headlights and freeze, because you'll either be run over or shot.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Everywhere you wanna be. Like Visa. Or is that American Express? | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
now available in colour!
Picture of Liliaharas
posted Hide Post
What does said Elf on Shelf do???

~credo quia absurdum est
I believe it because it is absurd~

~bibamus, moriendum est
Let us drink, for we must die~

Posts: 2632 | Location: Londinium | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
It comes with a book, and you read it and tell your kids that Santa has an elf that he sends into their house to watch them and that's how Santa knows who's naughty and who's nice. Then you put the elf on the shelf, and every night, after your kids are sleep, you move the elf, so your kids will think they are constantly being spied on. Then the elf gains consciousness and kills you all in your sleep.

----------------
Never stare into a car's headlights and freeze, because you'll either be run over or shot.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Everywhere you wanna be. Like Visa. Or is that American Express? | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
now available in colour!
Picture of Liliaharas
posted Hide Post
because veuyerism needed to be introduced to children's lives at an early age.

How many of those elves are rigged with nanny cams?

~credo quia absurdum est
I believe it because it is absurd~

~bibamus, moriendum est
Let us drink, for we must die~

Posts: 2632 | Location: Londinium | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
It's not just the creep factor for me - it's the parenting style. I don't want my (hypothetical) kids to be good just because they think some imaginary being is watching their every move. I want them to be good because it's the right way to behave. And that is something you have to teach children by living it - which of course is much harder than telling them that "someone" is watching and will punish you.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
Tell you kids about the elf while you are sitting in your car with the stereo playing. Make sure to tell them never to mention the elf in the house because the "MAN" is always listening.

Also while you are at it put a couple of clown pictures in their room. Nothing is more relaxing and comforting than clowns. *shudder*

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
Today I stood 45 minutes at a freezing fucking depot picking up presents because we have an outside door that is far from our main door and there is no bell. So the drivers don't have phones, so can't ring. BUT 45 MINUTES.

Fucking Yodel.

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caspian:
It comes with a book, and you read it and tell your kids that Santa has an elf that he sends into their house to watch them and that's how Santa knows who's naughty and who's nice. Then you put the elf on the shelf, and every night, after your kids are sleep, you move the elf, so your kids will think they are constantly being spied on. Then the elf gains consciousness and kills you all in your sleep.

This. It already looks creepily related to Chucky. I've never even WATCHED a Chucky movie and the very idea gives me nightmares. No Mahalo, very much!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Chucky

This sucks compared to Lester's Baby Cheese's but, it DOES hold the promise of Holiday Pumpkin Mosh Pie.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
This weekend is cookie baking weekend!

Unless I just nap the whole time, which totally might happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
it's the parenting style. I don't want my (hypothetical) kids to be good just because they think some imaginary being is watching their every move. I want them to be good because it's the right way to behave. And that is something you have to teach children by living it - which of course is much harder than telling them that "someone" is watching and will punish you.

Yes indeedy. This to me is part of the creep factor. I think the idea that you are being constantly spied on and that's your motivation for acting well is really creepy.

Not to mention: has any parent EVER in the history of EVER cancelled Christmas because their kids behaved badly? I guess terrible parents.

It is a textbook idle threat.

----------------

Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
More sodding.
All lit up for Xmas.

IMGP9960 by Lester Z, on Flickr

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post