Tools

Welcome JJWeir!
 Login/Join

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJWeir:
I'm glad you asked, my EPQ is about the differences in the ways that Snorri Sturluson and Neil Gaiman present Odin in The Prose Edda and American Gods and examining the ways in which the character changes and the reasons for the changes that are made. I'm handing it in soon!

OOoo that sounds very interesting. Then again, not entirely surprising that the All Father would present different aspects of himself depending on the narrative he found himself in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12402 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been great fun, Odin as a shaman/warrior/ruler is such an interesting character, best shown in my opinion by his quest for Suttung's mead (which I believe can be found in the Gylfaginning)

edit: typo

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
Hello and welcome!

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
Hello, JJWeir.

Posts: 6055 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia's Vengeance:
quote:
I'm glad you asked, my EPQ is about the differences in the ways that Snorri Sturluson and Neil Gaiman present Odin in The Prose Edda and American Gods and examining the ways in which the character changes and the reasons for the changes that are made. I'm handing it in soon!

OOoo that sounds very interesting. Then again, not entirely surprising that the All Father would present different aspects of himself depending on the narrative he found himself in.

ah love it. that's the sort of thing i would tend write about in college. except not specifically, as i'm not super sharp with norse mythology.

speaking of which, any expectations of neil's new norse mythology book coming out soon?

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fluffyllama:
speaking of which, any expectations of neil's new norse mythology book coming out soon?

I'm glad you like it! I could post it if any of you were interested enough to read 5000 words? (oooooh does that count as it being peer reviewed?) Anyway, I haven't read much about it beyond the announcement, so I just expect a sort of blur of academic discussion and Gaiman's fairly inimitable story telling. Looking forward to it either way!

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has been great fun, Odin as a shaman/warrior/ruler is such an interesting character, best shown in my opinion by his quest for Suttung's mead (which I believe can be found in the Gylfaginning)

edit: typo

I need to read the sagas and such with his stories. Maybe after my AG re-read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12402 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Welcome (I'm a bit late - story of my life)
You sound like a solid fan. sorry I can't join in the conversation, I haven't read these yet, but have another Pop! balloon or two.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post