Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    The Gardening Thread
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gardening Thread
 Login/Join

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
We're on the eighth floor, but grew a whole load of lettuce on the windowsill for a local sustainability lunch last week. We've still got radishes (in old starbucks cups) growing away, have planted more lettuce (in old icecream containers) for ourselves, and my breakfast this morning was a sandwich filled with fresh-cut mustard leaves, grown on kitchen paper in an old tray. My pea shoots, in a sprouter, are getting very big.

Kidlet has also just chosen chives to plant (for us) and chili (with the hope that it will grow enough in time to be his birthday present to his dad in July).

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I've got beetroot coming uo strongly outside, and sprouts and spring onions planted. Hopefully they'll appear at some point...

Then I've planted some caulifower seeds inside (in a grape carton) to start them, as they'll then go out into the container the beets are in now. And I've got a butternut swuash and a pea, which haven't come up yet! And a chilli plant and two chilli seedlings and four tomato plants and a coffee plant.

I'm probably most hopeful about getting sprouts for Christmas!

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Domitella:
And a chilli plant and two chilli seedlings and four tomato plants and a coffee plant.

I'm really curious about the chillies and coffee!

Anyway, it appears our balcony and stairs are officially a lethal trap waiting to collapse under someone. And the fence needs to be mended, too, because one more winter and there won't be much left.

In short, we're looking at a summer of men in overalls trampling all over the place, which is putting a damper on any gardening plans. It'll mainly be salad, arugula and herbs in pots and containers.

For the rest I'm just hoping that the plants in Immediate Danger Zone (my red currants... and the kids' peas!) will survive the coming upheaval. The scrawny little rhubarbs that made it through the winter should at least be safe, they're a little out of the way. Sigh.

But if everything goes according to my master plan, I'll get a coop and a couple of backyard chicken in August. I can't imagine anything more relaxing than watching two plump little birds gallivanting around.

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
Chillies are super easy to grow inside, and I've never had a problem with yield. They are also really easy to propagate from cuttings - I've done it before with no rooting powder or anything. You can even plant seeds from fresh chillies you're using to cook with.

The coffee plant was from Liliaharas, and I'm not sure whether/if it produces coffee! But it's fun to have, and I had one before which did NOT like being outside at all and died the first time a breeze broke it's leaves.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
The other nice things about chili plants is that they really are rather attractive as houseplants.

(Which isn't the case with other stuff you can grow inside: tomato plants, in particular, are really unattractive by the time you take them down, and are *not* an ornament to my living-room.)

Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tismalleen:
quote:
Originally posted by Domitella:
And a chilli plant and two chilli seedlings and four tomato plants and a coffee plant.

I'm really curious about the chillies and coffee!

Anyway, it appears our balcony and stairs are officially a lethal trap waiting to collapse under someone. And the fence needs to be mended, too, because one more winter and there won't be much left.

In short, we're looking at a summer of men in overalls trampling all over the place, which is putting a damper on any gardening plans. It'll mainly be salad, arugula and herbs in pots and containers.

For the rest I'm just hoping that the plants in Immediate Danger Zone (my red currants... and the kids' peas!) will survive the coming upheaval. The scrawny little rhubarbs that made it through the winter should at least be safe, they're a little out of the way. Sigh.

But if everything goes according to my master plan, I'll get a coop and a couple of backyard chicken in August. I can't imagine anything more relaxing than watching two plump little birds gallivanting around.

From experience, you want at least three. Less than that and they tend to get lonely and don't really lay eggs. We're fighting county ordinances here to let us have chickens. You have to have at least two acres and we only have one. We've had multiple neighbors have chickens and no one has complained, but my husband doesn't want to risk the fine. *sighs*

Dad has a portable chicken coop plan, too. Its really cute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
Hey, you know stuff about chicken! I'll so be bugging you with questions later on. Smile
(Such as: do they eat snails? Can they break the shells? Because it's an infestation here, and it would be great to recycle snails into eggs. Big Grin )

I'd really like to get three, but the backyard is quite small and I'm thinking of a large breed (do you know anything about chicken breeds?), and I want to make sure the ladies feel comfortable.

I'm not so much greedy for daily eggs (actually, I worry a bit about dioxines and salmonella... because I'm like that) as just keen to have a bit of life in the yard. Also, recycling! One chicken can consume 50 kg of organic household waste per year! That, and they look funny.

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
That, and they look funny.

Get a silkie! Silkies are amazing. Cuddling one is like having a rabbit on your lap. And they are so pretty to see clucking around, and they are really docile and friendly - two roosters won't fight with each other, unlike other chickens.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
This year we have strawberry plants on an ever raising table and some rhubarb and blackberries (because they don't die).

Its not worth us planting any other plants whilst puff pastry considers our garden his home.

puff pastry is the name given by my husband to the rabbit that has a cage in the garden next door, which nobody next door ever considers he should actually *live* in ...

le sigh.

Ah well, I suspect hubby would be too busy this year with boat stuff to consider looking after the garden anyway ... and I have no interest at all in doing anything other than eating the results Razz

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, you know stuff about chicken! I'll so be bugging you with questions later on. Smile
(Such as: do they eat snails? Can they break the shells? Because it's an infestation here, and it would be great to recycle snails into eggs. Big Grin )

I'd really like to get three, but the backyard is quite small and I'm thinking of a large breed (do you know anything about chicken breeds?), and I want to make sure the ladies feel comfortable.

I'm not so much greedy for daily eggs (actually, I worry a bit about dioxines and salmonella... because I'm like that) as just keen to have a bit of life in the yard. Also, recycling! One chicken can consume 50 kg of organic household waste per year! That, and they look funny.

Three chickens take up as much room as two, and you really only need two nesting boxes cause they rarely ever lay at the same time. Also, make sure you have an off ground (just a few centimeters is fine) perch and that you slant the top of the nesting boxes so they don't use them. Otherwise you end up scraping chicken poo off of them all the time. >.<

I'm partial to Rode Island Reds and Araucanas. Both are fairly attractive and Araucanas lay blue and green eggs, which are just cool. Also, you don't need a rooster as long as you have a fully enclosed cage, which makes the eggs unfertilized and vegetarian friendly. And chickens are the goats of the poultry world. They eat just about anything, but are particularly fond of cooked spaghetti noodles. They think they are worms and fight over them, its kinda funny to watch.

Oh, and one other thing. I didn't eat store bought eggs until I was a teenager and I'm just fine. Just wash the eggs off with a warm cloth before putting them in the fridge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I have a question!

I have bulbs (grape hyacinth) outside at the moment, and I want to keep them over winter - can I just leave them in the pots, or do I need to keep them inside/dry them out/ whatever. Do I still need to water them over the winter? Am I missing something really obvious?

I also want to keep a regula hyacinth bulb which I got for cheaps, half climbing out of it's pot, so it's gone over pretty early. I don't know what to do to keep it alive when it's just, you know, a bulb again!

Anyone know?

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
I think we had Australorp's

It might be best to just get whatever breed a local breeder recommends as breeds are fairly country specific

Ditto on not getting a rooster, you get nasty surprises in eggs with a rooster around (my mum still always breaks eggs into a separate bowl prior to addition to the cake batter due to one unfortunate incident!)

My ones used to eat snails, also they need sea shells (calcium suppliment) occasionally to give them enough dietary calcium to make their own egg shells.

They will also eat any veges in the garden if they aren't fenced off.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
@Domi --

I have tulips growing in the back yard, which are also bulb flowers. The instructions I received were to top (cut off) the bloom once it starts to die so that all the energy goes back down into the bulb for next year. It's ok to leave them outside as long as they're buried below where the frost would get them come winter. The local squirrels and chipmunks love them though, so I may have to get some chicken wire or similar to bury over them so they can't be dug up.

I hope that helps?

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
It does! We don't get squirrels up here (or much of a frost in London) so I'll not worry too much!

I'll start with the ones I kept indoors, they didn't like that at ALL so the flowers have gone already.