Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    The Gardening Thread
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gardening Thread
 Login/Join

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
GREEN THUMB 2012 EDITION

I, for the first time since living on the farm back in 1997, have started planting things!

I have transplanted the radish seedlings and half my beetroot seedlings (thanks to Domitella for the seeds). I then ran out of dirt.

I have planted some cauliflower seeds.

When I get MOAWR DIRT I will:

-transplant the rest of the beetroot
-plant peas
-plant onions
-plant parsnips

What else should I grow? I have a tiny garden that is mostly
shady and ALL CONCRETE. So all you city planters, let me know your secrets.

(I am excited about my plants)

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
flowers!

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Herbs? Fresh herbs are awesome, especially basil and cilantro. And dill if you like ranch type seasonings.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by general punk, MA:
GREEN THUMB 2012 EDITION
What else should I grow? I have a tiny garden that is mostly
shady and ALL CONCRETE. So all you city planters, let me know your secrets.

In our tiny backyard garden, spinach and kale totally thrived in the shadow. I recommend! Definitely something worth repeating - so much freshness to eat.

I'm going for random flowers in the garden and herbs on the balcony this year. And we're seriously considering a couple of backyard chicken!

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Domitella:
flowers!

I can't eat flowers!

quote:
Originally posted by Maeve: Herbs?

I forgot that I have cilantro/coriander as well but duly noted

quote:
Originally posted by Tismalleen: Spinach and Kale

oooo....i like both those things...

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
flowers serve a purpose, though - they get insects into your garden which is good for Nature, and also if you're growing anything that likes being fertilized.

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
now available in colour!
Picture of Liliaharas
posted Hide Post
i seggest chives sage and garlic for shady places, they are all growing well in my little pots. my most successful window plant has been the chillie plant (6 chillies!) I have seeds for chives and chillies if you want.

~credo quia absurdum est
I believe it because it is absurd~

~bibamus, moriendum est
Let us drink, for we must die~

Posts: 2632 | Location: Londinium | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
The gardening thread has been bumped! It must be spring!!

Tried to grow some herbs at the aptment last year. didn't work. don't want to try this year incase we move. I shall read your posts and dream.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by general punk, MA:

quote:
Originally posted by Tismalleen: Spinach and Kale

oooo....i like both those things...

Oh, and chard grew like crazy in the shade as well. And it looks very pretty, with the red stalks and green leafs.

I don't usually know what I'm doing when I'm gardening, but I think leafy things in general stand a chance in shady places?

Although last year a pumpkin seed had somehow found its way into the compost heap in the darkest corner, and when we came back from our vacation, the vine had climbed onto the roof of our next door neighbour's garden shack, where it was happily basking in the sun, pushing flowers and gourds. I felt a whole new respect for the enterpreneurial spirit of the Nature.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tismalleen,

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
Certain kinds of strawberries too!
At least in theory.
What works on my balcony:
Russian taragon,
Lovage,
Parsley,
Celery,
chervil.
My laurel tree is doing pretty nicely too.
Pirateboy-garden-plan
Garden:
Lovage,
parsley,
taragon,
celery,
and if i can get it through congress an apple tree.
Deck:
strawberries (and they're thriving!)
Chili peppers,
cherry tomatoes,
Dill,
cilantro,
holy basil.

If you like i can write a blogpost on it....

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
I planted tulips this year that are finally starting to pop up!

We're also going to try some snap peas and various herbs on the back porch.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
Ivy is taking over my yard like kudzu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ladykatza:

Yours too? We call it the green monster, and we've been at war for years now just to contain it. I'm starting to hate the regenerating bugger with a vengeance. It probably uses up a huge amount of soil nutrients, too.

Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of getting some rain gutters from the hardware store, nailing them to the fence, and filling them with dirt. Vertical planters!

Since container gardening is all contained, you might try growing mint in your garden - it'll take over the world when it's planted in the ground, but it'll thrive pretty much anywhere, including in pots. I think I'll have a rain gutter full of mint. And then you can make mojitos with it!

Strawberries are another good one, but we have a squirrel that comes and eats them. My rosemary is doing okay in the shade.

I'm stealing the spinach and kale idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ladykatza:

Kudzu is all over MY yard like ivy! I know it eventually kills what it covers and is invasive, etc.... but I kinda like the dappled light that comes in and how it just drips off the trees.

I am trying my hand at gardening this year! In the very lamest sense. A coworker gave me a young guava tree. If I can keep it alive over the summer, I'll let myself get something else next year. I am INVESTED in keeping this thing alive.

And my neighbor tossed some bulbs over the fence to me last week. I don't know if I buried them deep enough or positioned them right, but green things are coming out of the top. I honestly don't even know what they are. My neighbor says she thinks they're lilies of some sort. We'll see.

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
(Neat! A whole page with kudzu-covered houses!)

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I'm not really into gardening (we had mandatory gardening lessons in school and I developed a fiery hatred of weeding and digging and stuff), but both my parents have gardens. Mom is more into flowers and herbs, Dad into fruit & veggies - this year he's planning on potatoes, spinach, beetroot (which were awesome last year!), different salad leaves, red and white currants, gooseberries, strawberries and some herbs. It is A LOT of work. But I'm glad he's keeping himself occupied.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jocelyn:
I'm thinking of getting some rain gutters from the hardware store, nailing them to the fence, and filling them with dirt. Vertical planters!

Since container gardening is all contained, you might try growing mint in your garden - it'll take over the world when it's planted in the ground, but it'll thrive pretty much anywhere, including in pots. I think I'll have a rain gutter full of mint. And then you can make mojitos with it!

Strawberries are another good one, but we have a squirrel that comes and eats them. My rosemary is doing okay in the shade.

I'm stealing the spinach and kale idea.

Update! Rain gutter full of mint and oregano is going strong. Rain gutter full of parsley and thyme seems to be doing good. Rain gutter full of basil has already been eaten up by the squirrels.

*Fist shaking at squirrels*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
And I got to use duct tape on them to close off the gutters!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Flinchy!,

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:
(Neat! A whole page with kudzu-covered houses!)

I think I recognize some of these kudzu patches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post