Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    E3 2016 impressions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E3 2016 impressions
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted
Now I was playing video games back when TV screens were round, so my feelings about the latest round of button mashing stuff are, uhm,... obsolete? Razz

Disclaimer: I own a Microsoft Xbox 360, Xbox One, a Nintendo Wii U, a broken GameCube, games I don't have consoles for, random retro crap, and about a hundred Steam, Origin, and gog.com games or the PC. Linux Mint is my favorite OS.

Microsoft is releasing a new system! And another one next year! (wut?) So you have the option of spending money now on a system that's not compatible with 4K (Xbox One), one that is (Xbox One S), and one where you don't need a TV at all (codename Scorpio). Oh, and every game you own? Updated versions. Nothing new under the sun except for We Happy Few, which looks like The Stanley Parable meets Bioshock meets The Matrix, which is high praise from me unless the game sucks.

Sony is going deep --balls deep-- into VR on their PS4 and upcoming sorta-kinda upgraded PS4 Neo consoles, and once again the upgrade is so people can play MOARBETTER on the 4K TVs they don't have. In comparison to Microsoft and Nintendo, Sony appears to to have a larger batch of new IPs coming out like Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn. They also have the usual glut of remakes coming out, but some's going to be in VR,... I'd wait a year or two to buy a VR headset. They're kinda overpriced right now and if your patient you'll be able to pick up any AAA VR titles from now for $20. The patient gamer gets everything for cheap... unless he's too patient, then the friggin' prices go back up. Mad

Nintendo is releasing a new Zelda and Pokemon games. Aaaand that's about it. *shrugs* They got nothin' but their Nintendo Fun Formula and THEY'RE STICKING TO IT.

So the big questions I have are, does a gamer invest heavily in VR or a 4K TV? And since the next-gen games will be larger, are the companies making the next-gen consoles powerful enough to overcome low framerates and loading times on higher resolution screens?

The winner of E3? Whichever company starts sending me 'evaluation' hardware and software. This junk is getting expensive... Razz

Posts: 32868 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post