Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Abuse: Breaking the Silence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abuse: Breaking the Silence
 Login/Join

stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted
Abuse: Breaking the Silence.

Watched this documentary on iplayer, and I would thoroughly recommend it. It's another sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church. But the familiarity of the story - priest abuses, boys complain, the priests are moved, the boys ignored and so on - doesn't prevent this being a powerful documentary, with the various men involved having different motives, different ways of seeing the case.

And to an extent the reaction of the head of the order was admirable. It's nuanced, fair, and devastating. I would really recommend it, though it's not easy watching.

eta: A friend's reaction to Cunningham's abuse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mischief the Polarbear,

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
"Not available in your area." Frown

I was raised nominally Catholic (then born-again later on) but priests were always remote authority figures that I only got proximity to during actual communion. That seems to be the norm here, but I've wondered what the abuse statistics might be in my very Roman Catholic country.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post