Picture of Nymeth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yepa:
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
I guess I have to add that to my long "want" list. *sigh*

I wish I was more irresponsible and spent more money on music. Smile

I have liked all the Regina Spektor that I have heard on WOXY. I almost bought "Begin to Hope" last week.

*reccommends it*

If you're going to spend money on an album, that one is worth it! Trust me.

*recommends it too*

See if you can find the edition with the bonus disc, though - that little EP is pure bliss.

Posts: 188 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
I just got Jesse Malin's new album, which I'm almost certain is fabulous, and I can't listen to it properly (as in, loud, the way it wants to be played) yet because Kevin's only in off a night shift. *flail*

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by supersnazz, guerrilla nerd:
Today begins my Month of Rock. It's actually slightly over a month, but whatever. And it's not all rock. My month of going to Seattle to see cool things in clubs and concert halls, I guess?

From today to May 4 I have:
TV On The Radio
Regina Spektor
Robyn Hitchcock + Venus 3
Decemberists
Ted Leo/Pharmacists
maybe The Frames
plus Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene (not music, but awesome anyway)

Oh, go to the Frames. They've got an album and a half's worth of new stuff, plus they're having an attack of playing Mic Christopher. Should be good. Hell, go for Colm's playing, if nothing else. Smile

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
dude... TVotR rocked my face. Hardcore.

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
just a quick question...

does anyone here know Tina and Ike Turner's music very well?

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
Not particularly well. I've listened to a bit, but am far from a scholar of any sort.

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
i've just fallen in live with 'the game of Love', and i was just wondering if you know of any tunes that are in the same vein.

and here was me thinking of Tina Turner when she was a ridiculous caricature.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
no, in her younger days Tina was pretty damn awesome. probably her biggest hit from those days was her rockin' version of Proud Mary, but even before that, she rocked. Back when her hair went down, instead of out.

Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
got any recomendations for other acts that have that same vibe?

---------------
*is currently impressed*

has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
umm... no.

There was a radio show that my mom's friend in Cali loved called Rhapsody in Black, that she taped a number of installments of and sent up. That's where I heard the earlier Tina stuff, as well as similar things, but alas I remember very little in the way of artists. It's just a lot of the old-school Rhythm & Blues, Motown stuff.

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
'retha. All 'retha all the time!

Aretha Franklin. Cool

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
oh, i got love for Urethra, no doubt! Save Me is one of my desert island disks

can i try to get y'all to listen to my fave northern soul track, just cos?

Chairmen of the BOard - When will she tell me she loves me

---------------
*is currently impressed*

has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
I dunno how helpful this is, but here's A few years' worth of playlists from the Rhapsody In Black show.

I never heard anything I didn't like on there. And it's all 50's and 60's R&B... From Tina to Little Richard (likewise before he was a joke) to people you've never ever heard of

Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
that will do very nicely.

thanks very much.
I've always said you were a man of wealth and taste, snazz.

*doffs hat*

---------------
*is currently impressed*

has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
Please allow Murphy to introduce my self... he thinks I'm a man of wealth and taste.

Well... 50% ain't bad.

Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
pfah... money isn't the same as wealth.

you are wealthy in the ways that count.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
*dances to the Aretha Franklin in her mind*

*dance*

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
and the devil bunny goes mental.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
goes?

has a partial eclipse of the heart
Picture of Silk Underground
posted Hide Post
Snazzster, I think you should get into Autolux.
I dunno if you know Failure but 1/3rd of this 3 person band is from Failure and they are Failure-ish.

and the other message board I post on is "theirs" (it's now unofficial because we hardly ever talk about them) and a few membars of it live in Seattle. we could have a meat when I one day come to visit.

-Captain Silky, Queen of the Heartless Bitches

YAHR! (by popular demand)

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post