Login/Join

Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by St.CountHaldir:
my latest obsessions are Gogol Bordello,

I keep meaning to buy some of them.

Today I went to my local music store and bought the Frank Black self-titled (I lost my old one yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaarrrrrrssssssss ago and I've been missing it) and another Tom Waits. Special-ordered Cheryl Wheeler.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
You can never have enough Tom Waits. And but Gogol Bordello's "Gypsy Punks (Underdog World Strike)" as it's their best one.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
psst. Amy i have that album on my computer gogol bordello rock

though i haven't had a chance to listen to as much music as i thought i would

at the moment i'm still addicted to a mix i have on my i-shuffle, garden state stuff as well as a fair buch of british indy and hiphop

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
and right now I have a bunch of Norwegian black metal on my pc, because I think it's freaking hilarious.

Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I have been listening to a pretty large mix lately. A few faves old and new are:
'Sondre Lerche'
'Of Montreal'
'Mull Historical Society'
'The M's'
'Built To Spill'
'The Flaming Lips'
And the new (and sadly last of) 'Grandaddy'
Oh and 'Wolfmother'

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
should only be taken in the dosage prescribed by your physician
Picture of CancerDusk
posted Hide Post
I haven't listened to that Rival Schools album in a long time, but I really like it. I've been so out of the loop. I did get a copy of the new Dresden Dolls, though, and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm still listening to a lot of Ted Leo, who's quoted in my current sig.

------
"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying 'yes' begins things. Saying 'yes' is how things grow. Saying 'yes' leads to knowledge."
~Stephen Colbert

Posts: 7088 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: July 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Lan- I love Built to Spill. Perfect from Now On is such a great album. I actually saw them live at a small festival in the country in Belgium, around the time Keep It Like a Secret came out. Them and Arab Strap were the two headliners, it was pretty good.

Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by St.CountHaldir:
Lan- I love Built to Spill. Perfect from Now On is such a great album. I actually saw them live at a small festival in the country in Belgium, around the time Keep It Like a Secret came out. Them and Arab Strap were the two headliners, it was pretty good.

The two songs that I like the most by them at first listen are 'Untrustable' and 'Goin Against Your Mind'. I am trying to give some other stuff of theirs a listen.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
needs a blanket very badly. The better to "yahr" you.
Picture of Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings
posted Hide Post
i just made a mix for a guy i work with, he said to stuff in whatever i wanted. i put in a built to spill track and he was like overjoyed cause it was from perfect from now on and he'd been loving that album for ages.

anyway, end of the mini-story. lately i listen a lot to the flaming lips myself. and of montreal. iron & wine. yo la tengo. and arcade fire.

"If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books." Roald Dahl
"I still love the book-ness of books, the smell of books: I am a book fetishist - books to me are the coolest and sexiest and most wonderful things there are." Neil Gaiman
"Even so, there is no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza." Terry Pratchett

Have you fed your adorable, lovable and huggable lost girl lately?
"Continued exposure to the Lost Girl's avatar causes people to forget how to count and to repeat things." Joe_3Heads

I obey the Alaura
High Priestess in the Alaurian Movement

Posts: 9940 | Location: under a big red blanket, somewhere in milano, italy, europe, earth | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
'Ice of Boston' is on my ishuffle good list, me like

are they actually from Montreal?

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
Listen to the Hold Steady
Go to www.theholdsteady.com
Download the two free tracks
See their shows
Listen to their new album, Seperation Sunday

Its like a pudgier Elvis Costello was an American Beat poet who could best express his Catholic faith through a rollicking concept album that combines a bar band Ramones meets Springsteen sound with hilarious, scary, and sad lyrics

Live they're just insane, and you can't hear the lyrics

Other stuff to find: Jens Lekman! Final Fantasy, the Arcade Fire violinist who based a concepta album on the 8? 9? schools of D&D magic

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings:
i just made a mix for a guy i work with, he said to stuff in whatever i wanted. i put in a built to spill track and he was like overjoyed cause it was from perfect from now on and he'd been loving that album for ages.

anyway, end of the mini-story. lately i listen a lot to the flaming lips myself. and of montreal. iron & wine. yo la tengo. and arcade fire.

I saw you on Last.fm! We matched!

Anyone else on that? I'm ChrisBrimstone

Edit: if anyone is really jonesing for some Sydney or Aussie music, the radio station I volunteer at (but don't DJ on) is streaming at fbi.org.au
It plays 50% Aussie and 25% Sydney tracks, plus heaps of general indie stuff

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:rattle:rattle:
Picture of When_lingers
posted Hide Post
Other that my current french faves (check out my blog for those ramblings) I've been listening to Redbird by Heather Nova, Joydrop and Cyndi Lauper's acoustic album.

Jeremy

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤
en boucle Claire Diterzi
"Come over here to where When lingers." Jig of Life -- Kate Bush
How's your jesus christ been hanging? Father Lucifer -- Tori Amos
Where When lingers and talks about music, books, art and life.

Posts: 1955 | Location: France | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:rattle:rattle:
Picture of When_lingers
posted Hide Post
And during our vacation, we dug into my old cassette collection and listened to some things I hadn't listened to in ages, and then I wondered why I bought such things. But we rediscovered old Depeche Mode. So they have become the new Erasure in our house these days.

Jeremy

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤
en boucle Claire Diterzi
"Come over here to where When lingers." Jig of Life -- Kate Bush
How's your jesus christ been hanging? Father Lucifer -- Tori Amos
Where When lingers and talks about music, books, art and life.

Posts: 1955 | Location: France | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lord of YARRR!:
Listen to the Hold Steady
Go to www.theholdsteady.com
Download the two free tracks
See their shows
Listen to their new album, Seperation Sunday

Its like a pudgier Elvis Costello was an American Beat poet who could best express his Catholic faith through a rollicking concept album that combines a bar band Ramones meets Springsteen sound with hilarious, scary, and sad lyrics

I have heard them on WOXY. I like the song Banging Camp. They did a Lounge act at WOXY last June. It was an all acoustic set and a small interview. It was kinda cool. The Lounge acts are all archived and can be listened to for free.(FYI)

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Thanks all of you. I'm making a list right now for my new music shopping spree today.

I knew there was a good reason for all that overtime. Big Grin

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fhionn
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else noticed that "The Flaming Lips" are scheduled to play the Minnesota State Fair? I was kinda shocked! I looked into tickets and nearly bought a pair, but unfortunately finances don't look as though any sort of holiday is in order for a spell yet. THAT would have been fun!
Fhionn
p.s.......Mark Burgess, former Chameleons UK $ Sons of God is doing a short solo USA tour coming up soon. Closest venue for me will be Omaha - same problem, can't go ;( Mark solo isn't the same as the Chams were live (NOTHING BEATS THAT imho), but he puts on a very good show........

The title of any book should always take precedence to it's author. Yeah, I'm a snob Smile

Posts: 182 | Location: middle of nowhere, man. | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
of the sparkly hair brigade
Picture of del74
posted Hide Post
ive been in a bluegrass/grunge type mood lately.....
nothing like poppin in the soundtrack to oh brother where art thou and then going into porch by pearl jam......
i know
odd isnt it?

The 75 Delirians?
Umm well, number 2 is off sick, 38 is suffering from a mild case of sanity, and 74 has

run off to the world of men to spread sparkly gigglepops to their drab civilization.
Is she nuts?
Oh yes, she scored very highly on the entrance exam!

Posts: 3128 | Location: springfield, il, 62703 | Registered: August 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
a friend of mine convinced me to get Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On. it took me a while to get into it, but once it seeps into your soul, it just latches on!

but I can't listen to it while driving! It's a rather good accompaniment to felting wool. 'cos you have to stand there at the washing machine and make sure it goes through several agitation cycles - it's deadly dull, Out of Site is particularly wonderful to groove to!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Now I need to go listen to BtS again.

And listen to LoN, Jens Lekman is really good. I love his song "Pocketful of Money" and that Calvin Johnson sample.