Find
Notify
Tools

Music Talk
 Login/Join

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I have been listening to the new Beirut record, which is pretty good is a slightly more understated mode, and I am going to see them in late October, which will be sweet

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
This song is totally embedded in my brain at the moment. This is the only version I could find of it on You Tube. The person took local concert footage and married it up to the album version of the song. I am loving the whole album. The band is The Seedy Seeds and the album is "Verb Noun". I am questioning as to how I am just now taking notice of this local band. Good combo of nerdy, adorable, geeky, folksy, poppy and quirky. For me it just works. Smile

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
Nice! Thanks for the link.

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I need some new music, and since I have an unrefined palate in music (and the fact that I stopped really paying attention to music after college), I need some suggestions.

All genres welcome, but the artists have to hit the "right notes" *shrugs*. For instance, here's a sample what I'm currently iPodding. I don't have the music vocabulary to explain why I like these artists, I just do:

Italo Brothers
Mercury Rev
Green Day
Gillian Welch
Bobby Darin
Iron & Wine
Soundgarden
Kate Rusby
Magnolia Electric Co.
Queen
Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/davidlynchofficial

David Lynch has recorded an album.

That David Lynch.

I think my brain is broken now.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
I need some new music, and since I have an unrefined palate in music (and the fact that I stopped really paying attention to music after college), I need some suggestions.

All genres welcome, but the artists have to hit the "right notes" *shrugs*. For instance, here's a sample what I'm currently iPodding. I don't have the music vocabulary to explain why I like these artists, I just do:

Italo Brothers
Mercury Rev
Green Day
Gillian Welch
Bobby Darin
Iron & Wine
Soundgarden
Kate Rusby
Magnolia Electric Co.
Queen
Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers

I like quite a lot of that list and like you I can't explain why. Some other bands I like that you might not hate:

Carbon Leaf, specifically the CD Indian Summer
The Fratellis
Derby, I heard them on a car commercial, tracked them down online, liked all their albums and bought/downloaded them.
The Heavy
The Shins, CD: Chutes Too Narrow

um, that's all my addled brain can think of right now - but I can offer up an invite to Spotify if ya like. At least you can listen to the whole album for free. well, maybe with some interruptions, but it's not that annoying.

@Dread Captain Psycko - that info broke my brain as well.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
It's not the info itself that broke my brain...

it's the song itself.

Did you listen to the song?

Because you need to listen to the song.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Oh dear. I'm going to regret this, I'm sure, but you all know I can't resist a click...

ETA: oh yegads. It was actually groovy until he started, well, wailing? I can't call that singing. I hit notes better than this and I suck.

I need some mindbleach and it's not even half over yet!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
CRAZY CLOWN TIIIIIIME.

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Going to see Widespread Panic tonight. Can't wait for the show! I've had minimal exposure, but I've really liked what I've heard, so expecting great things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
My favorite local band has a new album being officially released at the end the end of the month. I am hoping to make it to the release party.
I downloaded (legally and paid for) the album. I am really liking it.

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post

Wat.

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dread Captain Psyko:
Wat.

If that's the Lou Reed / Selloutica (Metallica) CD, I'm with you on the 'Wat'.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:

I like quite a lot of that list and like you I can't explain why. Some other bands I like that you might not hate:

Carbon Leaf, specifically the CD Indian Summer
The Fratellis
Derby, I heard them on a car commercial, tracked them down online, liked all their albums and bought/downloaded them.
The Heavy
The Shins, CD: Chutes Too Narrow

um, that's all my addled brain can think of right now - but I can offer up an invite to Spotify if ya like. At least you can listen to the whole album for free. well, maybe with some interruptions, but it's not that annoying.

Dad would like that Maeve. He got too busy with school and forgot to reply to your offer. Plus he's starting to refer to himself in the third person, which worries me. :P

Posts: 257 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Spotify seems to have taken away my invites. harumph. If they ever show up again I shall send a PM with a linky.

Picture of champagneeyes
posted Hide Post
I just thought I'd chime in to say that I'm a bit of a Folkie. I got to hear Mumford & Sons at the NOLA Jazz Fest back in May. They were excellent. I also listen to a lot of Van Morrison and Nick Drake.

Thou art so true that thoughts of thee suffice
To make dreams truths and fables histories...
~John Donne

Posts: 176 | Location: In the pines, in the pines... | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
I am going to go out on a limb and declare Macy Grays Covers the worst album of 2012.

It is a solid early entry in the competition for worst album of the decade.

http://www.rdio.com/#/artist/Macy_Gray/album/Covered/

Her cover of Maps is... it is astonishingly bad.

I think I might have had a seizure during the last 30 seconds of it.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I don't know what Maps is supposed to sound like, but I do know Here Comes the Rain Again and wow, I never thought that song could be turned into a dirge, but I think she managed it.

Way back when I first heard I Try I bought the CD and was disappointed to discover that I only liked that song, so Macy Gray doesn't do much for me.

Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
Here's the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU&ob=av3n

It's a pretty goddamned great song.

was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, NPR's First Listen is featuring Of Monsters and Men's new album: My Head Is An Animal

I just saw them in concert last weekend in Portland and they blew my mind. Definitely recommended.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post