Find
Notify
Tools

Music Talk
 Login/Join

has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
Well, though they're playing under that name because they have to play under something, Albarn insists that the band doesn't have a name, and that's just the name of the record.

Anyway... I thought it was very good, if a bit overwrought at certain points. I've only listened through once so far, though.

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I've only given it one listen too, on computer speakers even, but I really liked it.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
I'll be popping it into my work comp momentarily to rip/listen via headphones.

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard the new Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album? I just read a ton of negative reviews for it -- is it that bad?

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rogue Tomato
Picture of Yepa [Holdingpillow]
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
I might have to pick up the Regina Spektor cd.

I really like the song "On the Radio". I am not sure that is the exact title.

I've only been listening to Regina Spektor and Sarah Slean lately.. I love them both hugely and with great intensity!

You should be fencing, and I should be banging coconuts!

"No more! The Earth's a burrito! We're done!"
-The Snazz-

Trying to take over the world, one nude cook at the time

Posts: 6217 | Location: Vikingland | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Scoundrel:
Has anyone heard the new Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album? I just read a ton of negative reviews for it -- is it that bad?

Pitchfork gives it a 7.2 out of 10, which isn't too bad. But it's Pitchfork.

Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
It's not new new but I just heard Joanna Newsom's "Monkey and Bear"
Very cool. Mellow and melodic, I liked it.

Any thoughts?

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan. Psyko sent me Only Skin and I loved it. I've since bought the album.

Actually some similar vocal qualities to some of Regina Spektor's stuff.

Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to add that to my long "want" list. *sigh*

I wish I was more irresponsible and spent more money on music. Smile

I have liked all the Regina Spektor that I have heard on WOXY. I almost bought "Begin to Hope" last week.

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
the new ipod commercial plays this song that's vaguely punk, very catchy and I kept meaning to google it, finally remembered it this morning.

the song is Flathead by The Fratellis on a CD called Costello Music.

amazon doesn't have any "listen to this" blurbs. Has anyone heard any of these songs? I hate to buy a CD and then only like one song.

hmmm, maybe there are sound bites on the amazon UK site.

sigh. there's just far too much music I want to buy and not enough dollars to do it.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rogue Tomato
Picture of Yepa [Holdingpillow]
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
I guess I have to add that to my long "want" list. *sigh*

I wish I was more irresponsible and spent more money on music. Smile

I have liked all the Regina Spektor that I have heard on WOXY. I almost bought "Begin to Hope" last week.

*reccommends it*

If you're going to spend money on an album, that one is worth it! Trust me.

You should be fencing, and I should be banging coconuts!

"No more! The Earth's a burrito! We're done!"
-The Snazz-

Trying to take over the world, one nude cook at the time

Posts: 6217 | Location: Vikingland | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Munk, The Wombat Confessor
posted Hide Post
I got chosen to do the Arbitron survey (it's like the Nielson ratings, except for radio). That means whatever I listen to, and note in my diary will lead to those stations getting paid big money by advertisers.

So thanks to you guys, WOXY's (actually, WOXY Vintage) gonna be seeing a spike in the ratings... Big Grin

Oh yeah, and I might just listen to Rush Limbaugh for once, just for kicks Razz

I can feel the power pulsing through my body and going STRAIGHT to my head. Pretty soon you guys are all gonna have to listen to the stuff that I want to.

"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
the new ipod commercial plays this song that's vaguely punk, very catchy and I kept meaning to google it, finally remembered it this morning.

amazon doesn't have any "listen to this" blurbs. Has anyone heard any of these songs? I hate to buy a CD and then only like one song.

sigh. there's just far too much music I want to buy and not enough dollars to do it.

i have costello music. i like it, but it isn't one of my faves. they are like the arctic monkeys (although better, in my opinion). songs they have released include henrietta, back stairs and chelsea dagger-do any of those ring a bell? nice and catchy, but imo nothing ground breaking

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Black Wings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fionchadd:
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:

i have costello music. i like it, but it isn't one of my faves. they are like the arctic monkeys (although better, in my opinion). songs they have released include henrietta, back stairs and chelsea dagger-do any of those ring a bell? nice and catchy, but imo nothing ground breaking

I keep seeing adverts for that album. Wondered what it sounded like. I don't like the Arctic Monkeys though, or any of the other brit-rock bands that are hip at the moment (unless you count Franz Ferdinand, I like Franz Ferdinand).

Does anyone like Ladytron? They were supporting NIN last night. Pretty good as support bands go, but it got boring.

----------------------------------

Black Wings loves all of you, even though many of you are new since he vanished for a year.

Boundless love for all!

Posts: 614 | Location: London, England | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
thanks fionchadd!

I think perhaps I'll just download the song I do like rather than buying the whole album and finding out I only like that one song. Which has happened far too many times.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Archus dracomagii
Picture of Chomiji
posted Hide Post
Anyone know any thing about Dr. Dog ?

- Cho

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
You are a Confectioner. Who can take a sunrise and sprinkle it with dew? Actually, that's Bob The Enchanter, two doors down on the left. But you make delectable treats, which is no simple feat considering Oompa Loompas won't be invented for three centuries. Not only do you delight with your sweets, but you've paved the way for a new profession: dentistry!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
the blog thing: From an Ayewards World ...

Posts: 2603 | Location: Takoma Park, MD, USA | Registered: June 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Da Freshest Prince
Picture of Cyan Sunday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chomiji:

- Cho

I saw they were playing Bonnaroo. I think they are in the Pavement-type mold, but not sure.

"Disappear, Vanish, Vanish, into the air, never really here"

Posts: 2075 | Location: Georgia, US of A | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Black Wings
posted Hide Post
Oh, any RATM fans? They're back together. If they tour Europe I'll die of happiness.

----------------------------------

Black Wings loves all of you, even though many of you are new since he vanished for a year.

Boundless love for all!

Posts: 614 | Location: London, England | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
posted Hide Post
Today begins my Month of Rock. It's actually slightly over a month, but whatever. And it's not all rock. My month of going to Seattle to see cool things in clubs and concert halls, I guess?

From today to May 4 I have:
TV On The Radio
Regina Spektor
Robyn Hitchcock + Venus 3
Decemberists
Ted Leo/Pharmacists
maybe The Frames
plus Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene (not music, but awesome anyway)

Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chomiji:

- Cho

i have their albums, toothbrush and easy beat. easy beat imo is better than toothbrush, but i like them a lot. wake up is my fav song on the album. nice and upbeat, a bit poppy, easy to listen to and fun really. i've seen them live too and they are cool Smile their lead singer had a throat infection so couldn't sing! but the guy that was singing instead was good.

i've not listened to their album ina while actually
*runs off to put it on*

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post