Tools

Music Talk
 Login/Join

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
Totally grooving on an African groove right now. Fela Kuti, Sun Ra, Tony Allen with Africa 70, Habib Koite. Fun fun stuff, very groovy Smile

How about reggae recommendations?

Reggae: you need to get the old Jamaican stuff, old-fashioned ska and reggae. Try to get the Best of Studio One, or similar compilations (from Studio One, or other labels like the Trojan Box Sets for example).

Some good individuals tracks:
The Skatalites, "Guns of Navarone"
Prince Buster, "Al Capone" and "One Step Beyond"
Junior Murvin, "Police and Thieves"

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lately, besides just listening to the new Wussy cd to death, I have been listening to a lot of 30s, 40s and 50s music. I am putting together a playlist for my wife's parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Anything in particular you'd recommend I check out? 20s and 30s music is something I enjoy when I hear it (in movies) but don't know much of anything about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tag
posted Hide Post
Them Crooked Vultures is a supergroup that is about to release an album it should be uber-good it has Josh Homme(singer and guitarist from Queens of the Stone Age, my 2nd favorite band), Dave Grohl (Drummer from Foo Fighters which I don't listen to but he was also in Nirvana which I like alot), and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin bassist).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...MXDY&feature=related

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
FAO ye Londonistas: Amanda Palmer is playing a wee, late-night gig at the World's End.
quote:
i know some rad people in camden (namely Julie & Mike) who manage a bar/club called The World’s End.

so i stopped by the other day and asked if i could invade their house for a late show after one of their scheduled shows.

their answer: FUCK YES! have a pint.

so here we go, yo:

i’ll be playing starting at 12/midnight late sunday the 13th, the night after the second union chapel show.

there won’t be any support.

i have no idea how long the show will go…probably until i get too plastered, and/or - more likely - too sleepy.

most likely it will be an all-requests fuckshow of love. i’ve been brushing up on lots of old songs and i know i won’t play half of them at the union chapel shows since we have a REALLY tight curfew there (10:30).

since the venue loves me i’m hoping everyone will have a kick-ass time….Julie let us have a lock-in bar party there after the electric ballroom show & it was awesome.

they have a fire!

since i know what people will ask….

yes, i will have/sign copies of the book at the show.

yes, neil will *probably* be there and sign too.

Tickets here and here. Sounds like a blast, and I need someone through whom to live vicariously.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tag
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]I was surprised as to all the genres of metal.[end of quote]

Dude, System of a Down... listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6DhfGHmpY

(alt. metal)

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
SoaD aren't bad, but I liked Toxicity better - the latest two records have so much 80s trash throwback, not to mention the silliest lyrics this side of Interpol.

Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aisha:
FAO ye Londonistas: Amanda Palmer is playing a wee, late-night gig at the World's End.
quote:
i know some rad people in camden (namely Julie & Mike) who manage a bar/club called The World’s End.

so i stopped by the other day and asked if i could invade their house for a late show after one of their scheduled shows.

their answer: FUCK YES! have a pint.

so here we go, yo:

i’ll be playing starting at 12/midnight late sunday the 13th, the night after the second union chapel show.

there won’t be any support.

i have no idea how long the show will go…probably until i get too plastered, and/or - more likely - too sleepy.

most likely it will be an all-requests fuckshow of love. i’ve been brushing up on lots of old songs and i know i won’t play half of them at the union chapel shows since we have a REALLY tight curfew there (10:30).

since the venue loves me i’m hoping everyone will have a kick-ass time….Julie let us have a lock-in bar party there after the electric ballroom show & it was awesome.

they have a fire!

since i know what people will ask….

yes, i will have/sign copies of the book at the show.

yes, neil will *probably* be there and sign too.

Tickets here and here. Sounds like a blast, and I need someone through whom to live vicariously.

Ooh, that does sound quite fun. I'm tempted...

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pierre.:
SoaD aren't bad, but I liked Toxicity better - the latest two records have so much 80s trash throwback, not to mention the silliest lyrics this side of Interpol.

SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHE CAN READ SHES BLACK.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Hey Captain...

I still listen to Blueberry Boat every so often thanks to you. What's your "pick" for this year?

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
Hey Captain...

I still listen to Blueberry Boat every so often thanks to you. What's your "pick" for this year?

I have many picks.

Current rotation atm is the new Mountain Goats album, due out in a few weeks. Great interview on the fork today about the albums biblical theme actualy: http://pitchfork.com/news/3640...ats-biblical-new-lp/

Money quote: One way you can get really close to God is to sin as hard as you can.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
No Jah Wobble, though Frown

Rumble Fish
posted Hide Post
right now i'm rocking to the awesome sounds of Immaculate Machine - they're an indie rock group out of Victoria, BC., and the bookstore where i work is presenting them at a concert on Friday Smile they are really great, i invite one and all out to Chilliwack BC to see them Smile

Posts: 3140 | Location: amongst the stacks | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Grabbed a bunch of jazz lately. 8 Bold Souls is good stuff, maybe leaning towards NOLA sound, brassy, big sound, up beat. Chicago Underground Trio is good, think Weather Report on a smaller scale, avant trio/quartet stuff, with and edge of dissonance to them. Also picked up some Dizzy Gillespie which has a great big band old time sound.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of champagneeyes
posted Hide Post
I have been on a Beatles kick. They were my first musical love aside from classical (I played violin as a kid) but my old Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Abbey Road tapes have gone the way of all flesh but I now have all those on CD and on my iTunes as well as the Beatles 1 "best of" and The White Album. I'm really enjoying them.

On a more modern note, I'd like to get some more Fleet Foxes and the new Mika album.

Thou art so true that thoughts of thee suffice
To make dreams truths and fables histories...
~John Donne

Posts: 176 | Location: In the pines, in the pines... | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
been wanting those Beatles reissues too, but I wish the early records were available in the mono mixes.

Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who's a big Beatles fan and collector. He probably knows where to find that stuff. Want me to ask him?

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Calumny and dragones be there here
Picture of Fiori
posted Hide Post
I've been listening to the Reverend Horton Heat. Helped tremendously in writing a song for Lester's new album. Wink

Hard to pick favorite tracks, they're almost all fantastic. After seeing them live, it's even harder--they were incredible performers and I'd pay just about anything to see them again.

and when I said "hammer" I meant my..." - Captain Hammer

"The orange of your mind tastes like sunshine" - Furious

Posts: 507 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Zombie:
I know a guy who's a big Beatles fan and collector. He probably knows where to find that stuff. Want me to ask him?

I appreciate it, but I probably can't afford it anyway. I should have phrased that as "I wish the early records had been re-issued in cleaned-up remastered mono mixes and they gave me a big fat raise at work".

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Anyone can tell me anything about Echo and the Bunnymen?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr