Find
Notify
Tools

Music Talk
 Login/Join

Calumny and dragones be there here
Picture of Fiori
posted Hide Post
I have loved Cocteau Twins and DCD for years. In fact, I was just thinking about DCD yesterday and how I should write myself a note so I remember to download some, since my stinkin ex-husband took more than 2/3s of our immense cd collection so I don;t have them anymore. Frown

and when I said "hammer" I meant my..." - Captain Hammer

"The orange of your mind tastes like sunshine" - Furious

Posts: 507 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saharial
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by InfinityCircuit:
I have loved Cocteau Twins and DCD for years. In fact, I was just thinking about DCD yesterday and how I should write myself a note so I remember to download some, since my stinkin ex-husband took more than 2/3s of our immense cd collection so I don;t have them anymore. Frown

awww that really sucks to have that taken Frown
i love dcd - first heard them with 'into the labyrinth' i love lisa's voice - when she worked on gladiator i recognised it immediately!

not heard much of Brendans solo work - is it any good?

------------------------------------------
A giant frog chased me and it had teef!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2139436 - for all the books i've read and am reading/reviewing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saharial/ - for my photography ^^

Posts: 466 | Location: Duma Key | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:

Ojos De Brujo - Techari -
quote:
Ojos de Brujo ("Wizard's eyes" in Spanish) is an eight-piece band from Barcelona. The band describes its style as "hip-hop with a little flamenco", and is comprised of guitarists Ramón and Paco, singer Marina, percussionists Xavi and Max, DJ/keyboard player Panko, drummer/percussionist Sergio, and bassist Javi. The band has received several awards, among these the Radio 3 World Music Award for Europe in 2004.

This one sounds intriguing... I might need to look that up.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saharial:

not heard much of Brendans solo work - is it any good?

I really like "Eye of the Hunter". It's a lot folksier and more restrained than DCD, but it's pretty good.

Picture of alt text
posted Hide Post
I'm on a major hip-hop trip at the moment. I've had Deltron 3030, Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor, and Doctor Octagon among others (ala Nas's Illmatic) on constant rotation.

Of course, since I've gotten into this mood of mine the only other music I can listen to is stuff like Belle & Sebastian and the Shins.

I go from one extreme to the other.

I am going to Austin City Limits this year and it is going to be amazing, please. I'm really liking the band list they have. So much good music. Some better than others.

Posts: 38 | Location: guttertown, usa | Registered: May 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theirishboy
posted Hide Post
Recently, I have been playing the heck out of a live version of Jennifer Lopez by Xiu Xiu. It's just Jamie and Panda, so instead of the cello and twitchy drum beat, they use a massive rave bass line and some rather pounding drums ... with a Harmonium.

The other song I've had on repeat a lot is called Mad Skillz by TWELVE. A friend from another forum gave me a link to this mix tape about 18 months ago, and I completely lost all the tracks in my iTunes library. I wish I had the track listing, because I keep stumbling across the tracks and they're all solid gold. This one is really creepy Hip-Hop, sounds a bit like DJ Shadow doing Dubstep.

Lastly, today I was tidying up my flat to Joy Division and Kate Bush. I was quite pleased with the Kate Bush. My first flatmate had a copy of Hounds Of Love he'd stolen from his Mums record collection. It sounded amazing. When we went our separate ways, I bought the remastered CD version and it just made the album sound really crap and 80's. About 2 weeks ago I came across Hounds Of Love on record in a charity shop, and so did my bit and treated myself to the original Vinyl version. It sounds incredible, even on my crappy little speakers!

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
Listening to the new Depeche Mode, Sounds of the Universe. My best description after one listen through is Music for the Masses meets Ultra. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I'm going to see Gogol Bordello the end of July! I can't wait!! I need to get another album or two from emusic Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Passed on any new Gogol for now, instead got a second album from a DJ called Daedelus (I really enjoyed Invention and just picked up Of Snowdonia) and in honor of The Fourth, I got Springsteen's We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions. Sounded like fun stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
That Springsteen record is great, JP. I don't even really like Springsteen all that much, but that one is really good.

here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
The Seeger Sessions album was one of the best things, Springsteen or otherwise, I've heard in ages.

If it wasn't on a Sony label, I'd have bought two copies, one for me and one for my mom.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Calumny and dragones be there here
Picture of Fiori
posted Hide Post
Bought tickets to see VNV Nation on July 30.

I know, I know, it's just a fancy karaoke show. But, I love Ronin's voice and they seem like cool guys. And I dig the Marquee theater in Phoenix, it's a nice venue.

Missed The Rev on Friday night, the Mr. had to work and I didn't want to drive to Tucson, get tired, and have to drive 90 minutes home alone. We saw them...two years ago and they were awesome so if you get the chance *go see the Rev*.

and when I said "hammer" I meant my..." - Captain Hammer

"The orange of your mind tastes like sunshine" - Furious

Posts: 507 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Totally grooving on an African groove right now. Fela Kuti, Sun Ra, Tony Allen with Africa 70, Habib Koite. Fun fun stuff, very groovy Smile

How about reggae recommendations?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
I don't usually like reggae, but I'm really into a guy called Matisyahu right now. It's excellent, chilled-out stuff. I've been listening to "Shake off the Dust... Arise", can't comment on his other stuff. Yet.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Alas, emusic doesn't have Arise (his first) but do have two subsequent releases ... am pondering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Listening to samples of Britte Orca by the Dirty Projectors. Interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Now am exploring more Ted Leo. I only have Shake the Sheets, am trying to find another album or two of his. Thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of Alex Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alt text:
I'm on a major hip-hop trip at the moment. I've had Deltron 3030, Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor, and Doctor Octagon among others (ala Nas's Illmatic) on constant rotation.

Of course, since I've gotten into this mood of mine the only other music I can listen to is stuff like Belle & Sebastian and the Shins.

I go from one extreme to the other.

I am going to Austin City Limits this year and it is going to be amazing, please. I'm really liking the band list they have. So much good music. Some better than others.

That's about exactly where I'm at. Deltron 3030, Black Star, Talib Kweli, and Common are getting a lot of listening done on my ears right now. It's nice to find hip-hop with actually decent lyrics.

_____

"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Posts: 334 | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of opeth
posted Hide Post
I like Muse, U2, The Killers and Opeth (of course).

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Hello opeth. Smile

I have a co worker that is really into Opeth (the band not you) Smile

St.CountZero is also a big fan, I believe.

I have been given some of their stuff. I have not really given it a good hard listen yet. I am not big into metal. I like the music, but I can't get into the vocals too much. I was surprised as to all the genres of metal. My co worker was giving me the rundown, and I am impressed with the facets and the history of it all.

Lately, besides just listening to the new Wussy cd to death, I have been listening to a lot of 30s, 40s and 50s music. I am putting together a playlist for my wife's parents 50th wedding anniversary.

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post