Tools

Music Talk
 Login/Join

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
AFI - new album - yeah!

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doddering stodger
Picture of Robbie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvinmarymac:

My current album-on-loop is Josh RItter's Animal Years. Although being as it was Blues on the Bay this weekend, I heard a lot of jazz as I wandered past pubs, and seriously need to dig out the Van Morrison cds. The man made his soundcheck sound good.

Animal years is a great album

Posts: 10241 | Location: sheffield, uk | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
It really is.
Having seen him live a couple of weeks ago, I'm even more impressed with it. Especially that he can come out with some of those songs and still be the sweet funny guy that you meet afterwards.

I do have serious reservations about the beard though.

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soylent crow:
having just gotten a chance to listen to your CD all the way through, i think millionaire's waltz has some highly amusing possibilities in your hands.

Hehehe... yes, it does. We're thinking a lot in terms of amusing possibilities for these covers...

Hey, let me know what you think of the record! (PM if you prefer)

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
This thread successfully intrigued me enough to make me go download some Gogol Bordello (from Limewire), and I liked it so much I had to buy an album from iTunes the same day. (See, piracy does work!) Thank you, guys.

Gypsy punk is so awesome. Big Grin In the old times it was not a crime!

I was thinking today of how little I listen to music radio- not since John Peel died, anyway. The great thing about his show was that you heard all kinds of music that you would never otherwise stumble upon and experience. But now, the internet makes discovering odd and obscure masterpieces so much easier.. through word of mouth like here, or music blogs, like TTIKTDA, or whatever. I really think that piracy means everyone can love music like John Peel did (even if crazy bands aren't in the habit of sending you their records for free...).

...sorries, just a rambling thought.
Cool thread Smile

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
Thats why I love volunteering for FBi. DJs can play whatever. Heck, when Grant from the Go-Betweens died I e-mailed them a random Peel session of Belle & Sebestian literally singing their praises and they played it... no worries about copywright or anything.

Has anyone listened to Bob Dylan's new sattalite radio show? I need podcasts or something.

Anyone else on Last.fm?

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to what Dylan would play on a radio show. Half of the tracklist is probably his own songs Wink

posted Hide Post
Haha.
I don't think so, though most other music is inferior to him.

I kid.

Sorta.

I think he plays everthing from blues to jazz to early hip-hop, which would mean Dylan has less conservative tastes then me and the show would actually expose me to new (ish) music.

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
heh... Interesting. I guess it kinda makes sense, actually.

Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Y'know, the words "Dylan has a radio show" would have been much more shocking before I heard the words "Prince was on American Idol".

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for the Dylan Starbucks commercial.
This is reaally goood coffeeee. Smile

So does anyone recommend that I buy the last Grandaddy album. I have heard a few tracks that I like but nothing that I love.

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I hear it's a bit of a letdown, really. Stick with the first 3.

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
Dylan's radio show has themes. His first was "weather."

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
I'm a little slow with new music lately, but I just heard a song from Starsailor's third album on pandora. I didn't know Starsailor had a third album! Does anyone else listen to them?

Or are they too similar to Coldplay for everyone's taste? Razz

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I kinda liked their first CD, but lost interest a while back, really.

Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I love the song : Good Souls.
I have that cd but I don't know what it is called. The rest of the disc never really grabbed me.

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
yeah, it's very, ah, unobstrusive.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silly gypsy punk:
Dylan's radio show has themes. His first was "weather."

Stoorrrmmmmy weeatther when my baby and I ain't together.

Bus fare to the city: $1.80
Jazz or blues CD at cheap store: $2
Always having the perfect gift: priceless

Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a little slow with new music lately, but I just heard a song from Starsailor's third album on pandora. I didn't know Starsailor had a third album! Does anyone else listen to them?

I kinda liked them, but then they supported REM and were so utterly meh that I went off them. Of course, most bands will come off a bit meh if they're followed by REM, but this was embarassing...

You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Always the April Fool
Picture of Manxom Vroom
posted Hide Post
The Flaming Lips' "At War With the Mystics" is well on its way to being my favorite album of the year, closely followed by Tool's "10,000 Days" and Springsteens "The Seeger Sessions."

The Raconteurs are also quite good...but I hope that "Call It A Day" isn't a song about the White Stripes." Confused

Posts: 10542 | Location: Detroit Rock City | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post