Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Turn on! What are you watching?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turn on! What are you watching?
 Login/Join

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
thats what i heard about the borgias...we dont have showtime here and i think a lot of those shows get put on TMN which until a couple of years ago when HBOCanada came out was what played all of those HBO/Showtime/whatever shows...so maybe im getting my shows mixed up

the main ones that i was thinking of with the pointless nudity were Rome, the Spartacus ones and Deadwood...i thought those were HBO shows

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
Rome and Deadwood were, not Spartacus, that one's Starz. And Spartacus sort of bills itself on being about sex and violence. I guess maybe I just never really pay much mind to the nudity scenes. Because I only ever really notice it being a bit much in the Showtime and Starz shows.

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im not prudish...i like naked people, but i would prefer it to have something to do with the plot instead of just...and heres some breasts...or...and heres a cock

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recovering catnip addict, (yahr)
Picture of pkitty
posted Hide Post
Game of Thrones

Amazing Race

America's Best Dance Crew

RuPaul's Drag Race

Dr. Who

Going to catch up on seasons 2 + 3 of the Beeb's Being Human

I'm behind about 4 episodes of Glee

and next season of True Blood

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun...

Illusions on celluloid

My new website!

Posts: 2546 | Location: LaLa Land, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
particle metaphysicist
Picture of Melancolí­a: Hunter Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moon Jester:
Rome and Deadwood were, not Spartacus, that one's Starz. And Spartacus sort of bills itself on being about sex and violence. I guess maybe I just never really pay much mind to the nudity scenes. Because I only ever really notice it being a bit much in the Showtime and Starz shows.

Oh, I loved it on Spartacus! It was well filmed, and adds to the atmosphere, denoting such things were (and are) natural, after all. I won't deny it's gratuitous, but I think it does reflect how Roman society was supposed to look at lanistas and gladiators.

God is everywhere, except within us, so we can look for Him, and find Him.

- Reverend Esau Senn
, Butterfly Wings (my ongoing novel)

Posts: 6590 | Location: The southern end of the world | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
re: Game of Throne, the nudity doesn't really throw me off, but I'm really wondering if I'll find any interest in the plot.

So far it seems like there's 52 main characters, all of whom have some sort of relationship with everybody else, and the king wants Ned to move somewhere else. It seems a bit like a soap opera with really high quality costume and set designs.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Melancolí­a: Hunter Writer:
Oh, I loved it on Spartacus! It was well filmed, and adds to the atmosphere, denoting such things were (and are) natural, after all. I won't deny it's gratuitous, but I think it does reflect how Roman society was supposed to look at lanistas and gladiators.

Oh, it is well filmed, and I really do like Spartacus, I was sad to hear the guy playing Spartacus won't be able to come back. I'm sure it is highlighted partially to show the way Rome was... but there are points where I just find it a bit much where it seems every shot of someone getting stabbed and blood going everywhere needs to be close up and in slomo. But that said, I still do very much enjoy the series.

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
For me, Rome was the only HBO series where I felt that the sex was somewhat gratuitous, although it was quite good at highlighting that the morals and attitudes towards sex were completely different at that time. (I've rarely seen that many erect nipples on TV, though...)

With Deadwood, I don't really see the accusation of sex being done gratuitously. There's little about it that is titilating, it fits the setting and it often ties into characterisation.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
I pulled the plug on cable last week, which, truth be told, doesn't limit our viewing all that much, what with streaming Netflix just an xbox away.

It does mean that we have to wait for the rest of Castle, the new Dr. Who, the wrap-up of Being Human and other current bits. (And though we had the Stewart/Tennant Hamlet dvr'd for just shy of 12 months, I never actually finished watching it -- I really should stop waiting for other family members to be ready...

It certainly does declutter the entertainment space, though -- got rid of a couple of pounds of cables and two devices (including, unfortunately, a clock, which means we have to walk into the kitchen or, heaven forbid, pull out a phone to see what time it is.)

This being school vacation week, the H.P. dvds have come out, although now there's no attachment to watching them in any sort of order - went from Deathly Hallows to Philosopher's Sorceror's Stone just to see them age backwards Smile (except for Alan Rickman, who looks exactly the same...)

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Season finale of Castle.
Holy. Shit.
That is how you do drama, ladies and gentlemen.
Now 'scuse me, I have to go bawl my eyes out some more.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
Season finale of Castle.
Holy. Shit.
That is how you do drama, ladies and gentlemen.
Now 'scuse me, I have to go bawl my eyes out some more.

oh, at least I wasn't the only one!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
I'm usually only half-watching, but I was riveted by Castle last night. Giabow came home from work and I was like, "Castle is really good tonight." I never do that.

Had to get the torrent of the last two eps of Doctor Who. Couldn't avoid spoilers until I could get it from a legit source.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
The pirate ep wasn't really worth it, but The Doctor's Wife was splendid. I actually forgot to knit while watching it!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smallville series finale...half hour left...damn this is good

was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
I made it through three episodes of Firefly, a chick flick, two episodes of South Park and an episode of Family guy while folding glueing stuffing stamping doing invitations yesterday. I'm surprised my brain isn't leaking out of my ears.

I have all the Dr. Who episodes from this season on my computer, but I'm fighting the urge to watch them until I can hunt down an HDMI cord and watch them properly on the tv.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
oh I am in love with my hdmi cable (plus one extra dongly bit) 'cos I can connect the macbook to the ginormous telly and it's practically like watching a movie!

I now have a long enough hdmi cable in the bedroom to reach the mac mini! the inputs are on the wrong side of the tv. I have almost convinced my husband to watch Game of Thrones Smile

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Our TV is so old it doesn't have HDMI ports or any other port other than the old white red yellow plugs.

Hence PS3 purchase, we can watch AVI files on the TV now so nice!

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
I've got a DVD player with a USB port on it that I can just plug my external hard drive into. It has trouble with some files, but I've got a good collection of movies on there to watch, and it's a nice substitute for an HDMI cable to be able to throw things on it and plug it in.

Unfortunately the Who is rented through iTunes so I can't transfer it to anything that isn't another apple product.

ETA: Ooh! I wonder if I could dump them on my iPod and then plug my iPod into the DVD player? I'll give it a shot with Dr. Horrible when I get home. Big Grin

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
I have mentioned my love of Community before.

One of the recurring themes is one of the character's (Abed's) love of the show Cougar Town. He mentions it several times this season, and in one episode it is a major plot point - he gives an extended speech about how he appeared as an extra on the show and how it changed his life.

Well, apparently, on the finale of Cougar Town, the Abed is actually in the background as an extra.

Edit: Here is Abed's speech on being an extra.

Edit Again: In the background from this shot of the Community season finale, you can see the two actors in that scene from Cougartown.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
someone referred to me as the "Sheldon" of our group of friends...not knowing who they were talking about I asked who the hell "Sheldon" was...since then I've watched the first two seasons of Big Bang Theory...funny show, but the Sheldon thing was not a compliment