Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    I like dead people.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like dead people.
 Login/Join

Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted
Who here is into genealogy? I got hooked, bad, and would love to share notes, triumphs, and the frustrations of the inevitable brick wall.

(7 days until the release of the 1940 U.S. Census ! I'm in squee mode for the next week.)

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
My father caught the bug as well and he will be presenting his 'findings' from the last year to the family in 23 days.
If I get hooked as well, I'll be back in here to share the joys, etc.

He has had more than his fair share of lucky breaks in a short while, so I expect good things to come.

Have fun out there!!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
The most manly man maleness of my family tree goes back to the Scot Macintosh clan, and then if you follow the loose history it poops down to Duncan I of Scotland.

I AM THE RIGHTFUL HEIR TO THE THRONE AND THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Swords and electric ecstasy that weakens you for a bit. Nothing phallic about that.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
I really need to get back into this. I had a flurry of enthusiasm a few years back then got distracted.

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
I had to do a family tree project back when I was in middle school, and I vaguely remember my dad pulling out this huge box full of old pictures and and letters from at least two or three generations of his side of the family. I would love to get my hands on them now, but I have no idea how to trace anything back.

I'm also really interested in my mother's side, but I don't know where to begin. All I have is the maiden name of my great grandmother to start with and a grandma that isn't very open about personal matters.

Where do you even begin with this sort of thing?

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
It's been a while, but I've done some research about my family tree.

I've been lucky on my mother's side. One of her cousins has done a lot of work and shared it with me. My great, great grandmother was a Poindexter. My great grandmother supposedly babysat for the "admiral" that got busted during Watergate. I can't listen to "Bust a Move" without singing "But you're standing on the wall like you was 1/16th Poindexter" cause that's me.

Anyways...I also found a Poindexter family tree website that actually listed my mom and aunt and went way back. I found a great^20+ grandfather, Jean, that was born in 1295 on the Channel Islands between England and France. At the time the name was Poindestre. Pretty damn cool IMO.

On my dad's side, I'm not as lucky. My great grandparents moved to the United States from Poland. I spoke to my grandmother and great aunt before they passed and have information about that generation, but nothing from Poland. The name is also very common. It means carpenter in Polish, so it will be hard to track. It also doesn't help that my grandpa changed the last name in WW2 because no one could pronounce it in the army. I wish I had the old family name. I use it as a pen name for my art and writing.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
The most manly man maleness of my family tree goes back to the Scot Macintosh clan, and then if you follow the loose history it poops down to Duncan I of Scotland.

I AM THE RIGHTFUL HEIR TO THE THRONE AND THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

I'm clan McCloud :P

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
I hit unreadable names made of squiggles and lines two generations back.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
click?
posted Hide Post
On my granny's side I'm probably related to two of the people executed in the Gunpowder Plot, and on the other side there are whisperings of a mad scottish baron or some such. Explains a lot about my family.

Posts: 61 | Location: the madhouse | Registered: November 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Man, Americans always have really fun genealolololologies, what with your cornucopia of immigrants...
I don't even know my maternal grandmother's maiden name. All I know is that her parents put my grandma in a children's home because she was their least favourite of their three children (her older sister was The Beauty, her little brother was The Heir). Really nice people. No wonder that we get aaaall our fun psychological issues from that side of the family.

I know a bit about my paternal grandma's parents, because they were awesome and bonkers and quite rich and travelled the world (don't get excited, they lost pretty much everything in WWII). Great-grandpa was an orphan who worked his way up from bellhop to head waiter in some of the best hotels in Europe, Africa and Asia. Great-grandma worked as a rich lady's travel companion, that's how they met. Most of the stuff we know is anecdotes like that: how they got married in Paris and had their first child in London; or how during WWI, Great-Grandpa just sat down in a trench because he was tired and fed up with marching. Normally that was a death sentence right there, but he was so brazen and had such good rapport with his CO that he just laughed and transferred him to the officers' mess as head waiter.
Oh, and how he hated Hitler (whom he called "that parvenu house painter") because he made them move to Germany with his stupid "Heim ins Reich" policy. He was a well-travelled man, Germany was hicksville for him.

My paternal grandpa's parents were the complete opposite - he was a forester in Eastern Prussia (now Poland), so they literally lived in a cabin in the woods. That great-grandma was a formidable woman and an excellent hunter - we inherited some mounted antlers from deer she shot. Nothing big, but still a weird and slightly creepy remembrance.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
I have not started yet, but I want to. And I need to get a move on before more grandparents die or get Alzheimer's. I also want to do my husband's family's history for our sons while my mother-in-law is around to help me; his family is small and he doesn't know much about them himself. She's my best resource for that side, apparently.

My mother & one of my sisters have been doing some research into our family tree already, so I can just ride their coattails for some of my maternal side.

On my paternal side I have my biological father and my dad who adopted & raised me. On the adopted side, my grandmother did some research years ago, before personal computers were widespread, and gave me (and others) a printout of the tree she'd built so far. I need to find that, can't remember where I stored it through all my moving during my 20s.

On the biological side, my dad has an unusual surname I'm interested in finding out more about, but I get the impression I may have some difficulty there. I'm in touch with my dad and a cousin on that side, but my biological grandmother recently died and I never met my biological grandfather, and the rest of the family is spread out across the US and apparently has a lack of communication as well as ... issues.

I always had a back-of-my-mind interest in doing this one day, but in recent years I'm feeling some urgency about it, having had several grand- or great-grandparents die and now having children who I want to store this information for. It's just a matter of making time for it ....

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda meh on the whole thing. Probably because from the information I have to go on I figure that I'm the descendant of bastard coated bastards with bastard filling, and given the fact that I barely knew even my grandparents, (but heard plenty of abuse and abandonment stories) or really any of my dad's family except a few of his cousins, there's a huge disconnect in place.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
James, that's what's been most interesting for me. I put it off for a long time because I heard so many negative things about my father's side of the family, how they were all back-water trash. He was never a presence in my life, so I felt no need to look backwards.

But during my research, I've come across some interesting things. For instance, my great-great grandmother had been abandoned by her father. He was a Union soldier in the Civil War, and when he mustered out in Alabama, he conveniently forgot about his wife and three kids up in New York and just married (as I refer to her) a little Alabama hussy and stayed there and did mass procreation. And I totally hated this dead person for it. It was a little disconcerting how quickly I identified with the daughter and how absolutely seething I was. And there was four days where I couldn't find her -- she jumped from being an infant before the Civil War in New York to being a married woman in Michigan 20 years later, and I was a little crazed trying to find out where she was in between. I knew her mom had died and I was all torn up thinking about this little girl, abandoned by her father with no one in the world to take care of her, etc.... and then I found her in the 1870 census. Her grandmother had taken her in. Which is exactly what happened to me after my parents divorced -- my grandparents had taken us both in. It was crazy cathartic to see some of these patterns repeating - there were lots of divorces for about a 100 year period from father to son to daughter etc. And it was something of a relief, in a weird way, to see that it wasn't just me. Other people -- other *ancestors* -- had experienced the same thing.

More than anything, this has given me a much better appreciation of history. I didn't know a thing about the Civil War before. Or the American Revolution. Or the Mayflower! My backwater trash ancestors actually were pretty respectable folks! From the freaking Mayflower! They were founding fathers of towns, and fought in the American Revolution, and were Quakers, and worked in coal mines, and farmed, and had these lives scattered throughout history. And that's just on my father's side!

On my grandmother's side, I found out she wasn't technically born German -- she was born in Gdansk/Danzig during that little window in history when it was a Free City. When she was 9 years old, she was living next to the veritable epicenter of WWII.

While I do think it's possible to do genealogy without any feelings for all these dead people, and just look at it as an exercise in bettering research skills and learning more about history, I think personal feelings are inevitable. It's impossible to avoid this really crazy connection with all these dead people that you find.

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Danzig!

My Mom did a good bit of geneology research on her side, which I'd like to dig into further. My favorite bit that she found is that my great-great-grandfather might have forged his immigration papers - he said he lost them in this one riot in St. Louis, which apparently was a common scheme for getting papers if you didn't already have them.

My Aunt is doing research on my Dad's side of the family, and I think she's getting a little irritated with it, because my Grandma keeps asking how it's going. I'm not doing much on that side, because I don't want to get in the middle of that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
I've done genealogy off and on. I haven't had much time in the past ten years, but thankfully my maternal grandpa and my dad did a lot. I know that on my dad's side we originated in Poland and then spread out. I come from the German branch that eventually made it's way here in the mid 1700's. My mom's side were Hessian soldiers brought in to fight for the Tories in the Revolution.

I've also started doing genetic geneology. It's a bit expensive and complex. Unfortunately, from what I've learned, most of what you know is based on who else has submitted testing with similar genetic markers. We've only had the y-chromosome tested to 37 markers. Still might do the haplotype. We also need to test the MTdna as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
It's weird - my sister's really into genealogy, while I'm the complete opposite... so much so, in fact, that I think I must have some deep-rooted issues when it comes to family. As a rule I don't feel any more of a connection to people I'm related to than to any random person, unless there's some actual directly shared history there.

Having said that, though, I do get a kick out of my mother's family tracing its roots back to the Huguenots and the Vikings, especially the latter. They still haven't figured out whether our ancestors were chieftains or goatherds. Big Grin

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
My Mum's been able to trace back some of the branches of our maternal family to the 16th century. They were all just humble peasants living in a couple of villages in what is nowadays Karelian Russia.

My paternal family turned out more interesting. Since one of the family names is German, my paternal grandmother used to drop hints about having some posh European merchant ancestors. Not quite! My Mum uncovered a booze smuggler and two convicted criminals (one of whom a murderer). We already knew about one, uh, woman of questionable reputation, as well as a fervent communist great great uncle who fled to the Soviet Union after the October revolution, got persecuted by the Stalinists until he finally managed to escape back, only to be thrown into jail for his subversive activities... Heh, that side of my ancestry is definitely more colourful.

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
I think I'd be more intrigued if my family had done anything of any particular interest Razz

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Things I Have Learned In This Thread:

1. You are all GERMANS LIKE ME! Razz

2. ... I'm working on that.

The one bit of genealogy I'd be interested in would be to find out if I have any relatives in the States. Apparently my paternal grandfather's father's brother (there is no way to make this easier) Otto emigrated to California. My Grandma once showed me a postcard of his, but I don't remember exactly where it was from - San Diego? Not L.A. or S.F., I would have remembered that. All I have to go on is his first name. I don't even know his date of birth or what year he emigrated...

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
I am also wanting to do this to map out my (and now my son's) family medical history.

This thread prompted me to finally get started last night. I decided to use the free Family Tree Builder, just to get something going.

I quickly learned that, while it does so many other things well (in my extremely limited experience), it does not seem to handle complicated parentages very well. It does allow more than one mom or more than one dad to be listed for a single person, but I'm having trouble with adoptive parents vs biological parents vs stepparents. For example, if I try to list my biological father (never married), and my adoptive father (was married to my mom but now divorced and married to someone else), the FTB wants to keep mom and adoptive dad linked because of the ex-marriage, and list them both as "natural" or both as "adoptive" - I can't find a way to mark them separately.

In another case, I filled in a married couple who each had kids from a previous marriage and none together, and it's wanting to list a stepparent as an actual parent because of the marriage link -- again I can't find a way to separate the two parents to mark them individually with their proper relationship to the children or stepchildren.

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post