Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    I think chopsticks are dumb.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think chopsticks are dumb.
 Login/Join

Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:
I think eating people while still alive is a trifle discourteous.

But... How can I eat them if I am dead?

You can if you're a zombie. It's pretty much expected of you.
Which leads us to the big existential question - Do Zombies Dream of Titanium Sporks?

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:
I think eating people while still alive is a trifle discourteous.

But... How can I eat them if I am dead?

A question truly unanswerable until one is dead. It's not complicated, just untranslatable.

We have several sets of chopsticks. They work for most everything, 'cept soups and steaks. And pudding.

(and by 'We', I mean 'the dead...')

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sporknography
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:

Also, nobody has yet mentioned the spork. Wonder tool, or instrument of the devil?

Wonder tool. Obviously.

just spork it

Posts: 121 | Location: Land of the Spork | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I am not good with chopsticks. Honestly, I pretty much get by with a fork. Smile
I try and use chopsticks if we go out to eat and they are provided, but I usually fall back to a knife and fork.
I don't blame the tools. It is obvious that many people are very successful with chopsticks.

edit : Sporks are a novelty at best. More laziness than inovation. Razz

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
er yeah. 'cos I'm right handed.

So am I, but the fork still belongs in the left hand, and stays there until the end of the meal. Granma would have kicked my butt if I ever used a fork with my right hand!
(Unless it's a dessert/cake fork. If there is no accompanying other implement, you may use your right hand.)

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
But... if you're left handed, you'd hold the fork with the right hand and use the left (the most skilled one) for the knife. You would keep the fork on your left hand for taking the piece of whatever you just cut to your mouth.

My question being -what does being left-handed have anything to do with putting the fork in the large or the small piece of stuff?

Ceri -did you have to use your right for the spoon as well? I know people who were trained to be right-handed, but never heard ot 'selective training'.

Posts: 11803 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:

So am I, but the fork still belongs in the left hand, and stays there until the end of the meal. Granma would have kicked my butt if I ever used a fork with my right hand!
(Unless it's a dessert/cake fork. If there is no accompanying other implement, you may use your right hand.)

But is there any practical reason for this? I try to follow etiquette for the sake of being polite, but I hate doing things for no other purpose than someone declared it so at one time or another.

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
I should've clicked on Tis's linked before, nevermind. I really had not understood how this worked.

THAT IS INSANE.

Posts: 11803 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
quote:

Blasphemy. They are two things in one and are incredibly useful for eating things like coleslaw. I doubt a spork would be of much use when eating anything very noodley, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia's Vengeance:
quote:

Blasphemy. They are two things in one and are incredibly useful for eating things like coleslaw. I doubt a spork would be of much use when eating anything very noodley, though.

Well there you go... Coleslaw eaters use sporks. I can't think of a better deterrent. Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But is there any practical reason for this? I try to follow etiquette for the sake of being polite, but I hate doing things for no other purpose than someone declared it so at one time or another.

You're right - mostly, it's just what I learned as "right", like pretty much all etiquette. Granma's folks were pretty upper class, so we learned what she had learned from her Wilhelminian (German equivalent of Victorian/Edwardian) mother.
I have no information to back this up, but I'd say it *is* more practical and looks more elegant if you don't constantly transfer the fork back and forth between your left and right hand. And what do you do with your free left when you're eating with your right? Do you let it slip, rather suggestively, under the table? *le gasp*

Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
I keep the fork in my left hand because it's more efficient. You're saving valuable seconds that you'd waste swapping between hands. That's valuable eating time!

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Plate. Food. Gone.

Foreign objects just get in the way.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
That, sir, is one step too many.

----

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no information to back this up, but I'd say it *is* more practical and looks more elegant if you don't constantly transfer the fork back and forth between your left and right hand. And what do you do with your free left when you're eating with your right? Do you let it slip, rather suggestively, under the table? *le gasp*

Is this a question for the weird Americans who do the transfer thing or do you also transfer? I can't tell who does what any more!

I'm told in the UK the polite thing is to hide the hand under the table. I don't know if that's true, but it's what I do, I think because in the school's dining room where we ate there was very little space for lazy arms lying around. The normal thing in Spain is to lay your forearm on the table, elbow off of course, and just rest it there naturally.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:
I keep the fork in my left hand because it's more efficient. You're saving valuable seconds that you'd waste swapping between hands. That's valuable eating time!

My point exactly! Big Grin

And while we're on cultural differences in eating techniques: those whacky Brits tilt the soup away from themselves to spoon up the dregs. Apparently it has something to do with naval tradition. *points* WEIRDOS! Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cloverheart:
quote:

Is this a question for the weird Americans who do the transfer thing or do you also transfer? I can't tell who does what any more!

I'm told in the UK the polite thing is to hide the hand under the table. I don't know if that's true, but it's what I do, I think because in the school's dining room where we ate there was very little space for lazy arms lying around. The normal thing in Spain is to lay your forearm on the table, elbow off of course, and just rest it there naturally.

It was more of a rhetorical question. Wink
Us Germans don't do the transfer thing unless they have learned it from watching those whacky Americans on TV.

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Aaah. I'm getting confused.

And you know what? British soup spoons are round and weird! What we use as a soup spoon (oval shaped) is to them a DESSERT spoon. Think about it -the British eat their pudding with the same spoon we use for lentil and chorizo stew! (For dessert, we use a smaller spoon, which would be a teaspoon in the UK, which would be what used to be in Spain a 'coffee spoon' but no one does that anymore as we all get our stuff from Ikea now and they don't do localised cutlery sets.)

When I started waitressing in the UK, this spoon thing was really frustrating.

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:
That, sir, is one step too many.

Sir, there's a zombie in you waiting to get out.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
I grew up with these, and have no idea how you can deal with your dinky little metal pieces of crap.

----