Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    I think chopsticks are dumb.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think chopsticks are dumb.
 Login/Join

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D M:
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
I think you should look in on a nursery sometime, or on the one sit-down meal a week of teens who generally eat fast food with their hands. It *does* take practice to use a knife and fork properly.

Nonetheless I find it less effort than chopsticks. I'm just less versatile.

Fixed!

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by D M:
quote:
I think you should look in on a nursery sometime, or on the one sit-down meal a week of teens who generally eat fast food with their hands. It *does* take practice to use a knife and fork properly.

Nonetheless I find it less effort than chopsticks. I'm just less versatile.

Fixed!

Cheek! Razz

Haha yeah, fair point. Although cheater-chopsticks take much of the effort out, and I still find them less effective. Nonetheless a lot of people seem to look down on me for not 'getting' chopsticks.

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Chopsticks are well suited in a Chinese eating environment where it is usual to
- eat from bowls
- bring these to your lips
- eat your rice sticky and your meats and veggies in bitesizd pieces
- slurp up the dregs - loudly

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
Those are the *really* good parts!

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
Mark's comments smack of cutlerist privilege!

__

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
*SNORT*
Okay. That just dislodged the chopstick in my hair...

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Punkyfins:
*SNORT*
Okay. That just dislodged the chopstick in my hair...

Are you trying to eat your hair?

And unscented baby wipes > toilet paper.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm with Flinchy and Pfins it is just what you are used to!

I find noodles much easier with chopsticks and will ask for them if I end up with a fork at an asian restaurant here.

I have never found them difficult to use but started using them as a kid at home, so the same time I was learning with cutlery.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nonetheless a lot of people seem to look down on me for not 'getting' chopsticks.

FWIW, Mark, I don't look down on people who say they find them difficult to use and prefer forks. If you're not used to them, don't like them (or if you eat from a flat plate!) fork or spoon are the way to go.

But I find "chopsticks are dumb" a kind of dumb blanket statement, when people say that seriously. (I do get that you said it in a jokey challenging way!)

So if someone I don't know said that to me I might find him rather undiscerning and suspect him to be the kind to go to China on a trip and demand to eat fish and chips and shepherd's pie every day.

__

Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I am rubbish at using chopsticks and resort to forking it.

But but... you knit! I was sure there'd be some overlap...

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
The proper way to eat.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I try to use chopsticks when appropriate, but I'm not very good at it. I like them, though. They're fun.

I am, however, flabbergasted by people not being able to use a knife and fork properly. I keep seeing people (mainly in England) cutting a piece of meat or whatever with the fork in the left hand and stuck into the larger piece (so cutting below the fork), then pulling the fork out and transferring it to the right hand to spear and eat the piece they just cut off. That's just... ungainly and clumsy and not at all elegant and... wrong.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Click here!
Picture of Tismalleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
I keep seeing people (mainly in England) cutting a piece of meat or whatever with the fork in the left hand and stuck into the larger piece (so cutting below the fork), then pulling the fork out and transferring it to the right hand to spear and eat the piece they just cut off.

Maybe they were Americans? I used to snicker at this as well, until I learned it's apparently totally acceptable etiquette in the US. (Is this true?)

✄--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Posts: 2414 | Location: fluttering about | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
er yeah. 'cos I'm right handed.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
*nod* American's do that - using your knife and fork together is not something they have mastered yet Razz

quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
Yeah I'm with Flinchy and Pfins it is just what you are used to!

I find noodles much easier with chopsticks and will ask for them if I end up with a fork at an asian restaurant here.

I have never found them difficult to use but started using them as a kid at home, so the same time I was learning with cutlery.

I find chopsticks far easier than forks with the kinds of food they're designed for - ie. Asian food.

I think half the trouble is, as someone said, that people expect them to be used in the same way you'd use a fork. If you're 'putting the effort in' but it's looking at it from the wrong end, then of course you won't be able to do it.

I don't think forks are any more versatile at all. I can do anything with chopsticks and a a spoon that I can do with a knife and fork. And I didn't use them regularly until I was a teenager, so it's not just what you grow up with (it may also be to do with nothing being allowed to stand between me and food for very long.)

I also think no one looks down on you for not using chopsticks, they look down on you for whining how you can't use them, rather than just choosing a fork! Razz

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
*holds chopsticks*

*tries to chop things with them and they break*

NOPE

These things need to come with a disclaimer. Mad

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I went through a phase in collage where I ate popcorn with chopsticks. this was to learn how to use them and to not get my hands all buttery while doing homework. Today in a resteraunt I will use chopstick about half way through a meal then I thend to get a hand cramp.

On the knife/fork thing, I watched way too meny british TV shows as a child and started used the K/F that way. Meny of my fellow Americans look at me strange.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Heh, I concede I came into this a bit too snarky and perhaps I should have said I just don't get them Smile

Domi - my experience is the opposite: I think I can do anything people use chopsticks for with a knife/fork/spoon. And I've been shown many times how to use chopsticks - I guess my fingers are too stubby or something.

And the number of times I've been tutted at for asking for a fork shows it's not just my whining that's the issue Razz

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Maybe you're just impatient DM Smile

I like them, but then get a bit fed up with them if I'm really hungry and in a hurry (and I'm with you and the hand cramps LibraryLady!)

We've all had a fad of eating everything with them at home (except the wet bits of soup) and always use them if we're eating out (when applicable!) but I also like that there is something other than a knife and fork to use. A bit of variety is lovely. A bit like eating a cream egg with a mustard or salt spoon.

PS: the paperless toilet thing is great but not when you leave puddles on the seat for the next person. What do you use to dry the puddles? When it's cold, there's nothing worse than wet legs and a wet bum!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Motley,

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be eating conscious friends.

(Edit from Dweller: You're a fool if you click on the link - I'm going to keep the post up because it's funny, though.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 1 | Location: 528 Cottage St NE Ste 400, Salem, OR 97301 | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post