Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted
I thought we had a thread for this, but I couldn't find one.

I have a wireless router set up, with Lappy upstairs and the PC with the router and cable modem downstairs. The router works fine and I get 'net connection with Lappy, but I want to be able to share files (and programs?) over the connection, mostly using Lappy to access files stored on the PC. Anyone have any idea how I do this? Running Windows XP for both systems.

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
can you ping the other computer on the network?

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
See, I don't even know what that means in this context. Ping how? The two computers don't even know the other exists. Like "my network places", where you would see other computers and drives and such, that's the connection I need to make (I guess).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
First put them both in the same workgroup:
Right click My computer
Go to properties
Computer Name
Change
Enter a workgroup name

Next share a folder(s) on one of the pcs.
Right click the folder
Go to properties
Sharing
Share this folder

next type in \\<computer name>\<shared folder name> in an address bar (windows explorer)

Actually, you probably don't need to worry about the workgroup, but it won't hurt anything and it may allow you to browse out through my network places and such.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1990 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
Basically what you do is this:
One the lappy, right-click on a folder, go to "Sharing and Security" and just enable it to be shared.

On the other computers, you can either try to navigate to the lappy via "My Network Places". (Under Network Tasks, go to "View workgroup computers") and hopefully you'll see lappy and the shared folder inside it. If you can't find it, you can always try right-clicking on My Network Places, selecting "Map Network Drive", and specifying as the folder:
\\x.x.x.x\FolderName
Where x.x.x.x is your local IP address for lappy (if you don't know what this is, go to Start -> Run, type in cmd, and then in the dos prompt, type "ipconfig" and enter. That'll tell you your IP address) and FolderName is whatever sharing name you gave the folder when you enabled it to be shared over the network.

Now, if you have firewalls running on any of these computers, they may have to be tweaked to get this to work. Also, the security of these files is going to rest on the security of people not getting access to things behind your router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6917 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've set up a workgroup, and it appears that I can see both computers on the network, but when I try and click on the PC (from Lappy) it says I do not have permission and to contact my admin. Since I'm the freakin' admin, that doesn't do me much good Smile So how do I go about allowing access to the computers? I don't think it's a sharing issue, I've got shared folders set up on each, just waiting to be used. It's just not letting me in in the first place. Help?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
i did this at home with ours, i just need to try and remember how!

have you used the network wizard to set up a new network? that was what i did, once you can see both computers you should be able to do that and it will ask you how much information you want to share.

but i think i did it improperly becuase i can access dad's files but he can't access mine! get the same error message as you just said. so sorry if this is no help!

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
If you're using Simple File Sharing on XP Pro (Open Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options, Tab to View, and look for it at the bottom of the list), or if you're using XP Home (which only supports Simple File Sharing), you may need to enable the Guest account. You do this by going to Computer Management under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel, under Local Users and Groups, in Users, right click on guest and go to properties, and you should see the "Account is disabled" checkbox. Make sure this isn't checked.)

If you're using XP Pro and NOT using Simple File Sharing for some reason, you'll need to make sure you have a user account on computer A that matches the credentials for the login on computer B, and that that account has permissions for the shared folder.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6917 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Fion and Royko, I'll have to check this stuff out when I get home. I'm sure I'm running XP Home. If I set up a user on each with the same name and login/password, and make that user the default user, should that do the trick? Right now the user on the PC is TheCarneys and the user on the Lappy is 'Rae'. Neither of which require an actual password to logon, they're just what it opens up to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
i'm not sure on that one JP, none of our computers have log-on users

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Hey, peeps! WinZip is no longer free, and I think they've tightened the evaluation version so that it's no longer usable after a certain time (haven't tried it, but the implication is there). Anyone know of any free, good zip utilities that wouldn't require someone on the other end having the same software (in otherwords, that an old version of winzip would be able to unarchive)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Wigber
Picture of Mean Old Man
posted Hide Post
OHmyfuckingGOD.

They have a "Basic Computer Assistance" thread, too.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Royko:
Basically what you do is this:
One the lappy, right-click on a folder, go to "Sharing and Security" and just enable it to be shared.

On the other computers, you can either try to navigate to the lappy via "My Network Places". (Under Network Tasks, go to "View workgroup computers") and hopefully you'll see lappy and the shared folder inside it. If you can't find it, you can always try right-clicking on My Network Places, selecting "Map Network Drive", and specifying as the folder:
\\x.x.x.x\FolderName
Where x.x.x.x is your local IP address for lappy (if you don't know what this is, go to Start -> Run, type in cmd, and then in the dos prompt, type "ipconfig" and enter. That'll tell you your IP address) and FolderName is whatever sharing name you gave the folder when you enabled it to be shared over the network.

Now, if you have firewalls running on any of these computers, they may have to be tweaked to get this to work. Also, the security of these files is going to rest on the security of people not getting access to things behind your router.

Royko, forgot to tell you, got this up and running. Set the IPs on pc and lappy, got the files shared and set as network places to connect to upon startup, and tweaked zone alarm to let it all happen. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mean Old Man:
OHmyfuckingGOD.

They have a "Basic Computer Assistance" thread, too.

*laughing* Hey, we're nothing if not resourceful around here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
Jeepz:
Nose around on www.download.com
a quick search here yields some "free to try" $x to buy stuff.
Have a go looking around. You might find something Wink

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just found this site and decided to give Just ZipIt a try. That said, if there any other specific suggestions, let me know, in the mean time I'm happy that JustZipIt just did what I needed it to Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jp:
Hey, peeps! WinZip is no longer free, and I think they've tightened the evaluation version so that it's no longer usable after a certain time (haven't tried it, but the implication is there). Anyone know of any free, good zip utilities that wouldn't require someone on the other end having the same software (in otherwords, that an old version of winzip would be able to unarchive)?

surfing with my ps3...no official bluetooth keyboard yet so i'm texting

try winRAR and if that fails join the dark side and torrent

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mean Old Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jp:

Hey, we're nothing if not resourceful around here.

It's not that. It's that you're a bunch of fucking doppelgangers.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scourge of the Lower East Side
Picture of Nel Gurgle
posted Hide Post
and the list of parallels grows longer....

Big Grin

----------------------------
Official Pineapple Master General of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination

He said 'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it....

Posts: 14738 | Location: 'burbs of Chicago | Registered: September 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mean Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by jp:

Hey, we're nothing if not resourceful around here.

It's not that. It's that you're a bunch of fucking doppelgangers.

What a riot! See, I've been too busy to keep up with all the crossover discussions and such. Parallel universe indeed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr