Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
*sets up shop with royko, prepared to answer all internet questions with respect to gnomes*

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Haaalp!?

So I am attempting to ditch the dialup and go highspeed. The cable guy installed Roadrunner and hooked up the modem-thingy, BUT he couldn't locate the usb port(?).

He told me to either:

(1)find someone who has winzip, install that then see if it can locate the usb port, then unplug and replug some gray wire

or (2) get an ethernet card and set up another appointment with him - but I can't get any time off work until after I quit in July.

I'll go googling for now, but if anyone has had this happen and could give me some advice or tips I'd be so very grateful.

Thanks!

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
I can't for the life of me imagine that Winzip would help detect a usb controller. Are you using XP? And, if I'm understanding you right, he was able to locate the actual USB plug on your computer, but your OS isn't detecting any new hardware?

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6917 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've got XP.

Right, my o/s isn't detecting any new hardware.

I need to go google winzip, I guess. I had a hard time understanding him becaus he talked so fast, I should have asked him to write it down.

Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
If you go to the control panel (from the start menu), go to "Performance and Maintenance" and open up "System", click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button, what does it list under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"?

So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6917 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
er... I'm not at home... I'm sorry...

I need to go crawl back into the dark ages now.

Frown

waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
If you still have a dialup connection, you can IM me whenever you're home.

So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Thanks Royko! *hug*

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
*hops into thread*

*looks around*

Yup, everything looks a lot more highspeed around here!

*hugs Royko*

*showers Royko with kitty toys for Astrid*

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

:rattle:rattle:
Picture of When_lingers
posted Hide Post
I can probably point you in the right direction to a couple of free zip programs, but I don't have access to that info right now, so I'll have to post it tomorrow.

Jeremy

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤
en boucle Claire Diterzi
"Come over here to where When lingers." Jig of Life -- Kate Bush
How's your jesus christ been hanging? Father Lucifer -- Tori Amos
Where When lingers and talks about music, books, art and life.

Posts: 1955 | Location: France | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
no worries - I'm all set up now thanks to Royko! Big Grin

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
okay.

i have a labtop.
ibm, windows 98se.

it hasn't been on the internet for awhile and i'm finding it impossible to get it back online because i don't have the proper drivers to get it on wireless or anything. i am wondering if updating it to xp will solve the driver problem and thus make my life easier.

i really like it. and all i really need it for is internet, pictures etc.

do you think its worth it to get a new one or update it?

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
Do you have a wireless adapter for it?

If not, you can probably find one that still supports 98.

So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

posted Hide Post
i should have a look.
the one kirsty gave me was supposed to work for win98se but i still need one more driver, apparently. which is irritating.

-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
?#1 - Do you have sufficient resources on the laptop to RUN xp? 98 may have been a pig, but it ain't nothin' compared to XP. The XP install will check your system out, but you need lots of free(d up) hard drive space to install that puppy. And RAM (256 minimum). Once it's there, it's pretty stable.

If it works, and you have a copy of XP lying around, try it -- but if it's only for web browsing, email, and picture management/editing, have you considered linux? There are plenty of linux 'distros', like Ubuntu, that can run from a cd, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has drivers to get on your network.

If you also need a wireless card, it might get stickier -- then you've moved out of my league; you'd probably need to find an older wireless card, blah blah blah ...

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well. i never thought of linux because its scary but only because i don't know it. can i just find one in the store?

and i'm not sure if i'd have enough space. but i was planning on freeing up stuff by transferring it to an external hard drive if i was going to go the XP route.

but that would also almost bring me up to the cost of a new labtop as an external wasa bout £80 and a copy of xp £100

enlightened website user
posted Hide Post
I guess that's a catch-22 there -- you can download linux distros for free and burn 'em to a CD and run it, but that requires getting on the internet ...

you can also order up a free Ubuntu disk set and they'll mail it to you. There is a learning curve, in that it looks different, but browsers are browsers, and the GIMP (graphics editor) is the gimp (runs on windows, too). You just pop in the CD, reboot and you're done.

But take a look at XP -- odds are, someone can probably mail you a disk for that, too -- if you're hardware can run it, it's fine.

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hrmmm...

i don't really wanna blow £300+ on new computer but i think thats what i'm going to have to do.

my labtop just seems a bit antiquated. it only has 8.7 gigs or something. and oh jesus. 64 ram...

i guess that solves it.

enlightened website user
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silly zombie punk:
hrmmm...

i don't really wanna blow £300+ on new computer but i think thats what i'm going to have to do.

my labtop just seems a bit antiquated. it only has 8.7 gigs or something. and oh jesus. 64 ram...

i guess that solves it.

Hell, I remember paying several hundred dollars for 2 simms, a total of 64 megs of RAM, and that was to get Win95 to run. I'm sensing a connection, here ...

(not his real name)

posted Hide Post
alright new question:

labtop vs PC

someone help me buy a computer.

what do i want:

internettage
music
pictures
messengerses

i don't play anything more complicated than scrabulous at the moment and probably really wont.