Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of laptop batteries. It seems no matter how powerful or frugal the specs of my system are, the battery only gives me 30 minutes of juice.

I'd say try a netbook. I don't own one, so I suggest browsing sites and magazines like Computer Shopper, Laptop, or the other PC magazines that compare gadget models to determine what mobile chip currently is the best in multitasking and running cool, and working out from there.

A netbook where you can easily turn off the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios would help in extending battery life. Integrated Graphics Chipsets use little power but suck for games, while -most- ATI and nVidia solutions are the opposite -- at least for a while you were able to get a 'virtual' ATI graphics upgrade from Dell that was a POS on all fronts. Solid State Drives are more efficient than Serial ATA drives. Linux needs next to nothing for systems specs to run, so a Linux book should last longer than a Windoze book.

OR you can show her how much you luff her and take out a second mortgage for a MacBook Air. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Furious,

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Remember, I have a netbook - an Asus eeePC that I love lots. It's light, 7-8 hours of battery, eeeBuntu works GREAT and the dual boot with XP works just fine. That's the direction I was automatically thinking, I just didn't know if there were bigger laptops that might suffice. I haven't shopped for a laptop since getting hers 4 years ago, as when I got my netbook I was ONLY shopping for a netbook. Unfortunately, or fortunately, a MacBook Air is not in the cards Razz

I apprecite your input on the graphics hardware, mine in my netty is integrated and pretty meh. I often wonder if I added a gig of RAM if it would improve video performance?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Thoughts on rectified laptops?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I have seen it said on Cnet and other sites that recertified/refurbished computers are often put through more rigorous testing. Whatever problem they may have had has been addressed. Recertified usually comes with a full warranty. Refurbished usually only has a 90 day warranty.
The great thing about this product it that you are getting a 1 year warranty.

I personally think it is a great way to save money. My HP desktop and my wife's netbook are both refurbished with no problems.

Seems like a pretty good deal. Am I right or is this computer a couple of years old? The hardrive is a bit small. Do you think you would get the Vista Business or the XP Professional downgrade?

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Oh I have no idea, I wasn't seriously considering it, just wanted people's take on rectified computers. If I did pull the trigger on this, I guess XP Pro? No clue. I'm actually looking at something more like this or going more of the netbook route, which I'll just need to see what's changed since I bought mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
That Acer is a little high priced when you consider it doesn't come with an optical drive. I'm not sure why you need 4GB of ram with a... never mind its running Windows 7. Roll Eyes

Win XP or Linux: you can get away with lower specs.

Win Vista: NO.

Win 7: at least 3GB of ram plus decent cpu, maybe dedicated graphics.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I often wonder if I added a gig of RAM if it would improve video performance?

Yes... and no.

More ram will smooth out the video frame rate (reduce or stop hiccuping), but you won't see a quality improvement in the picture.

Oh and if you do go the netbook route and the missus doesn't need Windows programs or a DVD player, I suggest
this with the $30 upgrade for the 160gb SSD drive.

(edit: woops thats the XP version but 1 gig of ram for XP is fine. There's a Ubuntu verson of that netbook too.)

With the money you save you could buy me an Xbox360 as payment for all my tedious research!

For my Son+. He wants one. Honest. Razz

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
A Dell? Really?! I've sworn off Dell years ago, not sure I could go back. But it's a starting point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I've sworn off Dell years ago, not sure I could go back.

Why?

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I've sworn off Dell years ago, not sure I could go back.

Why?

Dell is awesome if you buy computers by the pallet. If you don't require a freight truck and a forklift to take delivery of your order, their customer service is awful.

I really think they stopped caring a long time ago, as though they plan to ignore those customers in hopes they'll go away.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I could say the same for Apple, pulling my hair out with them after I purchased a brand new G5 and AirPort Extreme box and their big soultion for why they didn't work together was 'You'll have to wait for the update'. Mad

Ironically, Sager/Alienware is supposed to have awful customer service and so far they haven't given me a problem with replacing my AC adapter.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I finally accepted the current state of PC games and bought a wired Xbox360 controller.

I used to argue how much better I could frag with a mouse and keyboard that a console potato, but now things are different. Heck, not only does the PC version of Dead Space have the stupidest keyboard controls ever, but the game won't let you re-map the keys! Times are a-changin' Frown

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I have a PowerPC Mac G5 which apparently won't update to Snow Leopard and for various reasons I want a 27 inch iMac (partially to use as a tv in the bedroom)

Should I use a service PowerMax provides of trading in an old Mac on a new one or just keep it and eventually put Ubuntu on it?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
You already have the best Linux distro around with Mac OS X. Why make things more complicated for yourself? Linux is fast and fun to play with, but I still think OS X and Windoze have the edge in user-friendliness.

I used to have a PPC G5 and I was extremely disappointed with OS X as far as the PowerPC versions of Leopard and Snow Leopard are concerned (I think I griped about my Airport Extreme issues earluer on the Board). Seems that Apple had problems programming for both PPC and Intel chipsets at the same time.

I personally feel that the last reliable OS for the PowerPC chipset was Tiger 10.4.8, which is what my G4 PPC is tweaked up to. After goofing around with higer upgrades (free and Leopard), I've downgraded to something I know won't start acting goofy on me.

I haven't used PowerMax, but if you know any fledgling high school/college artists, I'm sure they would purchase the G5 from you.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
My main problem with the G5 is that I can't watch Netflix online 'cos it wants an Intel processor - any way around that?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Let me do some research, Maeve. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 run on PowerPC chips and they have Netflix streaming, so in theory it's been done.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Hmf. Apparently whatever workarounds that can be done, there isn't anything capable of getting past a final hurdle. Point the finger at Apple or Microsoft or Netflix, because none are interested in providing movie streaming on Apple PPC architecture. Mad

Unless you really want movie streaming through a new Apple desktop, the cheapest method is to buy a Blu-Ray player (that has Netflixing capability), Xbox360, PS3, or Roku box and a cable that connects the machine that's streaming to your TV or computer monitor. Sorry.

A Wii Netflix option is coming too but you won't get any fancy-schmancy hi-def signals streamed through.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Roku box might work.

I am attracted to a new shiny imac, but honestly, the G5 still works, so I hate to just let it go.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I understand that feeling. Can't toss my G4:

- upgraded the RAM and will do so again
- upgraded the hard drives, twice, and will do so again
- upgraded the DVD drive it came with to a Pioneer DVD burner
- tossed out the Zip drive for a front panel where I can connect USB, card media, or Firewire stuff
- upgraded the graphics card... may do this again if I can find a compatable one on the cheap
- added a USB 2.0 PCI card for speedy throughput
- have a USB WiFi dongle plugged in to avoid all that nasty Airport silliness
- new wireless keyboard and 3-button mouse
- will upgrade the dual 500MHz processors to something between 1Ghz -1.4GHz for an extra boost of power
- will install a PCI SATA card for a BIG hard drive update

- clamshell case is held shut by duct tape Razz