Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Fuck's sake, can't even get the fucking email to work! Mad

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
Some time between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning a bunch of my photos vanished from my flickr page and from the places I had posted them on the net. I can't post them again because nothing happens when I click the Okay button in the image box. I can't find anything in my security system blocking them and a system restore does nothing to change anything. I get the same result from Photobucket and other image hosting sites. Does anyone have any ideas what the hell is wrong here. I'm out of ideas.

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Break this down for me so I understand.

quote:
Originally posted by Lester Zombie:
Some time between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning a bunch of my photos vanished from my flickr page and from the places I had posted them on the net. I can't post them again because nothing happens when I click the Okay button in the image box.
Where's this you're talking about?

quote:
I can't find anything in my security system blocking them and a system restore does nothing to change anything.
Is this on your computer or on your sites?

quote:
I get the same result from Photobucket and other image hosting sites. Does anyone have any ideas what the hell is wrong here. I'm out of ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
I did some more digging and found that the problem has something to do with Firefox. When I use Safari or IE there are no problems. So, I still don't know what the trouble is, but I do Know where it is.

In the "Post a reply" box.

On my computer.

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
So they're still on your flickr, just not posting on your sites? You haven't lost them, have you? Seeing as it's a Firefox issue, when you figure out what it is, let us know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
Everything seems still to be there, but not properly visable on Firefox. When I have more time to mess with things, I'll try deleting and re-installing it. For now I'll get by with another browser. No long term damage, just a pain in the butt.

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Stupid question, but have you tried updating Firefox? I find some Firefox updates mess with the way I can use theInternet, but a subsequent update fixes it. Or maybe deleting your Firefox history and cookies and visiting the sites as if for the first time might help.

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
Firefox is working properly this morning. I still don't know what happened, but it's corrected itself.

Thanks for the advice though; I was out of ideas.

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Last night the Roku box refused to do Netflix, not on either telly and the living room telly uses a direct ethernet connection. I checked for software updates and it said I had everything I needed, but it still would work.

If I clicked on the Netflix box it would start to access, but then blip back to the channels section.

I'll go trawl for info at the Roku site I guess, but I was hoping someone here had a clue.

ETA: Netflix played just fine on the iMac, so I don't think it was a problem with Netflix streaming.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
Last night the Roku box refused to do Netflix, not on either telly and the living room telly uses a direct ethernet connection. I checked for software updates and it said I had everything I needed, but it still would work.

If I clicked on the Netflix box it would start to access, but then blip back to the channels section.

I'll go trawl for info at the Roku site I guess, but I was hoping someone here had a clue.

ETA: Netflix played just fine on the iMac, so I don't think it was a problem with Netflix streaming.

I had a Netflix problem yesterday myself - the site seemed to be down for a couple hours. It's fine now...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no maps for these places we're lost within
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2535 | Location: Happy Place | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
But during that same time I checked on the iMac and Netflix streamed just fine. Do they have different servers for Roku devices?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I do not own a lap top, but I want to buy some plug ins for my son. (and no I don't know what kind of lap top he will have.) I found an adaptive technology key board that says you just plug it in and it works like a normal key board. Will this also work on a lap top? Do I need to ask about ports or look for a USB? The other suggestion was to get a joy stick instead of a mouse. Any comments? Bear in mind that the user has some gross motor skills, in his left hand, but not the fine motor skills. Anyone have any experience with this or other forms of adaptive technology?

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by library lady:
I found an adaptive technology key board that says you just plug it in and it works like a normal key board. Will this also work on a lap top? Do I need to ask about ports or look for a USB?

If the keyboard connects via USB you should be fine, any laptop will have 2 or 3 USB ports. If the keyboard cord has one of those round things on the end (serial connector, I think?) there are USB adapters for those. I have one for my mouse, a bit clunky but works.

Check the keyboard cord. Check if it comes with a drivers CD, but it'll probably work fine as plug and play.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
It comes with a 6pin and a 5pin adapter. A UBS cable is available. Thanks. I still don't know what kind of lap top his dad is getting him.

So what about using a joy stick instead of a mouse? I assume that with gamers out there it should exist already???

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I need printer help!

I got a new all-in-one printer from Dell and just finished unpacking and setting it up, installed the driver and printed the test page. It printed just fine, but the printing screen on my computer got stuck at 99%. I closed it, thinking nothing, and tried to print something else - I can't, because the test page still appears in my printer queue. It says under status "Deleting - Printed", but that's been there for 15 minutes now.
Any ideas?

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if you fixed this yet, but is there anything where you can purge the print queue? or force quit the program?

I'm not helping, am I? Smile

posted Hide Post
I already tried purging the queue in the usual way, to no effect.
I can't even uninstall the printer while that stupid thing is stuck in the queue!

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Have you tried just rebooting the computer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

posted Hide Post
Not yet... I have some more stuff to do on it and try that later.

posted Hide Post
Okay, I rebooted, and the queue reset itself. Then I printed the document I had tried to before, and the same thing happened again - print status stuck at 99% with the (new) document sitting in the queue being "deleted".
Do I have to reboot every time I want to print something, dammit?!