Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanderinginmn:
not a helpdesk, but this seems to be the geek thread. The Asus Transformer Prime is a damn fun toy. Using it right now with the keyboard dock, and it is quite slick.

*wants*

The ultimate comic book reader, methinks!

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I found that my computer a) wouldn't switch on and b) emitted a burnt smell yesterday evening. What's the required number of goats I need to sacrifice to the PC Gods for their help?

(Sending it in tomorrow, since it's still within the warranty period.)

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
burnt smell

That, my padawan, is not the scent you're looking for.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Halp please. Smile

What sort of external hard-drive is compatible with an MSI Wind Netbook with Windows 7 Starter Edition?

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
Western Digital still has a slight edge on reliability. They also do RMA returns with cross shipping. All you have to do is enter the serial number on their website. No store receipt required. They are making the process a bit more confusing for some products. But I still think it is the best.

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5 TB Seagate. I wouldn't recommend Seagate. Sounds like the Millenium Falcon hyperdrive revving up and stalling.

Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
Any external hard drive should do as long as the Wind has a USB port and the hd does as well. There are different brand preferences, but in all honesty, they are the same for the most part. Go with whatever deal you can get. For backup purposes, you do not need anything special.

That said, if you are looking for something that relies on performance, then that is an entirely different conversation.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
- plan on making a comic book DVD "mix tape" for Beez for Valensmooch Day

- made sure all the files were working, had sensible labels, etc, etc.

- load blank DVD-R and fire up ImgBurn

- drive won't read DVD-R

- try another one

- NOPE

- and another

- NOPE

- three hours later I end up installing a Vista driver on my Win7 machine to reset the Texas Instruments card reader to free up some confusion in the Matshita drive

- finally burning the )*&%^%'n thing

IT'S NOT EAKSY BEING GEEKSY

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Just finished categorizing and burning... took longer than I thought!

2 DVDs
500 comics,... 500 copies of Deadpool/Squirrel Girl Team-up #6 Razz

Knowing Beez, they'll all be read before the weekend.

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
Just finished categorizing and burning... took longer than I thought!

2 DVDs
500 comics,... 500 copies of really REALLY awesome stuff!

Knowing Beez, they'll all be read before the weekend.

Eeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

*smooch*

Thanks Honey Big Grin

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I've already had two hard drives fail to work with it, so might be some other issue. Also I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

I mainly want it so I can use CDs, no special requirements.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer:

? .. you want an external hard drive so you can use cds? I am a bit confused on that one.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Maybeee the optical drive takes up a slot where an additional hard drive would go?

Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanderinginmn:
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer:

? .. you want an external hard drive so you can use cds? I am a bit confused on that one.

Well currently, there's no disc drive on the netbook, plus I might need a bit more memory...
Mainly CDs of music & old versions of Civilisation.

Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Hmm, might just be easier to get a laptop when the netbook dies.

I can wait... Cool

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
It depends on the portability you want, Way, and as I've learned, gaming system/sooper-dooper media center =! portable laptop.

Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
That's the thing, I originally needed it to be very portable, but now I don't. Plus I needed a laptop replacement very quickly but did n't have enough £ for a laptop.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
There's a few ways you can go on this. I would try a Airbook-type of laptop that can dock to an optical drive, extra hard drive, printer, monitor, etc.

The 15-pound take-it-all-with-you solution gets cumbersome.

Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, if it weighs more than a large cat I probably won't carry it!

The netbook is OK with printers, although there is n't a working printer here at the moment. There is a non-working printer that's nominally the Landlady's.

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Got an interview tomorrow for a tech/IT job that's a little above my level. Anyone have any tips on how I can become a linux sysadmin in less than 24 hours? No pressure. :\

It's a voip gig, so I'm downloading some software and manuals to play with. Probably won't get it but I wanna step up and take a swing at the interview anyway.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post