Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZoneSeek:
Got an interview tomorrow for a tech/IT job that's a little above my level. Anyone have any tips on how I can become a linux sysadmin in less than 24 hours? No pressure. :\

Uhhh... say things like 'fsck' and 'package managers are for noobs' and 'most people don't understand how much they need sudo to protect them' and 'I like linux because after 300 hours of customization and bloatware removal, I can have a real OS which can do whatever I want, except play good games and movies or use popular software'. Razz

Use the interview to hone your skills?

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
I fielded some fairly standard networking questions, but then she grills me on specific port numbers? What kinda freak memorizes port numbers? You look that shit up. >_<

Anyhow. I moved my desktop onto a dresser drawer, and tada, ghetto standing desk. I'm liking it, helps maintain focus, a bit harder to drift off into trance-clicking through TvTropes or Cracked.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
i think of the system i could build with $2800, and, yup, no amount of portability can justify that.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Heck, we could build three very good PCs for that money. No Batcave multimonitor deliciousness, but very good PCs.

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Using windows media player, I am trying to burn a CD that will play in my car. I know it is a simple "tell the computer what format to burn in" but I can't seem to find the place where they give me the option.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by library lady:
Using windows media player, I am trying to burn a CD that will play in my car. I know it is a simple "tell the computer what format to burn in" but I can't seem to find the place where they give me the option.

Microsoft takes it upon itself to make sure you don't do anything evil, and makes such tasks a pain in the ass.

So we'll use ImgBurn instead. I'll assume that your car CD player can't read .mp3 images.

1) Get ImgBurn and install it.

2) Start ImgBurn and make a .CUE image of your music like this

3) Burn it to a blank CD. This requires a blank CD. Razz

4) Listen to infringed music and drive barefoot, you rebel.

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Furious. I think I am going to add one more step:
Wait until I get a new computer then proceed to step one.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should be able to do this with WMP.

Should be an option for "Audio CD" under "Burn" in the toolbar.

What version of WMP is it? You could try upgrading.

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
quote:

An Ipod/MP3 FM transmitter is only about 20$ or less. That is the best solution for the car IMO. I hate CDs.

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemo888:
quote:

An Ipod/MP3 FM transmitter is only about 20$ or less. That is the best solution for the car IMO. I hate CDs.

This is true. I didn't even think of it even though I own one myself. The only small minuses being (1) FM quality sound (not a problem for me although if you listen to car satellite radio and then go back to FM you'll notice the difference) and (2) if your iPod's mostly dead like mine, you need two cigarette lighter jacks to run the thing.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:

You should be able to do this with WMP.

Should be an option for "Audio CD" under "Burn" in the toolbar.

What version of WMP is it? You could try upgrading.

I've had the worst luck with WMP. WMP should play Blu-ray movies from a blu-ray player but it doesn't. Through trial and error I've found ImgBurn to be the best at burning data the way you want to. It's cheap and easy, just like me. Red Face

Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:

WMP should play Blu-ray movies from a blu-ray player but it doesn't.

It should, but hey, gotta love pressure from other industries limiting options.

I started playing with the windows 8 consumer preview today. First impression: great for a tablet or phone, just plain wrong for a desktop or laptop.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I never found an FM transmitter thingy that worked well. And I live in the boonies, so radio stations are few and far between, should mean it'd be easier to find a stable transmission, right? Of course, I used it years ago, got sick of it and had the radio replaced with a cd player with an aux in jack.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I never found an FM transmitter thingy that worked well. And I live in the boonies, so radio stations are few and far between, should mean it'd be easier to find a stable transmission, right? Of course, I used it years ago, got sick of it and had the radio replaced with a cd player with an aux in jack.

I have an FM transmitter for my old Zune. It worked well enough. Main problem for me was on long trips you had to keep finding new stations with no interference.
I have an aux in on the car stereo, but sometimes I just want to plop in a cd hit play and be done with it.

Pros: No fumbling with wires
No picking or assembling playlist
No chance of me leaving my expensive Ipod in the car when I exit.
Better quality sound from original CD (Not that my car stereo is very high end.

Just less hassle all the way around... sometimes

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:

Better quality sound from original CD (Not that my car stereo is very high end.

I'm not the best to judge, since most stuff over 192kbps is fine for me, but ripping an audio CD tracks to FLAC format and burning them back as a .CUE image, I can't tell the difference between the original and the copy.

Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
From now on, I will not "switch on my computer" but "poke the bellybutton of my castle". Yes.
(source)

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
Looks like my Hotmail account was hacked into last night - spam was sent to everyone in my Contacts list and my Sent Mail folder was emptied. Can't say whether anything else happened; I've changed my password, but if they got at my password I don't know how this would've happened, so I'm pretty paranoid right now. I suspect there might be a virus on my work laptop, but I don't have any way of confirming my suspicion or whether such a virus would be the culprit. Meh.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
Typing netstat -a -o in the cmd window can tell you who you are connected to what process they are attached to.

There are a few good online virus scanners kicking about as well. But not finding a virus does not mean you are virus free. Hackers make about 10 times what security "experts" make now.

Try a system restore. If it fails that is a bad sign.

*WTF are all these UDP ports doing open, $h!T

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
That's the thing, though - I use Hotmail regularly on 3-4 computers, so it could be any one of them. Other than with Hotmail I haven't noticed anything weird about my system(s), but I'll definitely have to check all of them. Will try the netstat tip - thanks!

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post