Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
*begrudingly opens a Twitter account for networking*

*wonders if following 4chan is a good idea...*

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
Ya old fart. Stop communcating with smoke signals!

@scootfurious

Posts: 258 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Why is Firefox getting sh*ttier? Every damn upgrade they do seems to make the browser laggier and more crasherffic.

When my classes are over I think I'm moving to Opera. I like Chrome too, but they're too damn nosy.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Speaking of browsers:

I have been a long time fan of Maxthon.
The latest version Maxthon3 has been a work in progress, but it seemed to be shaping up nicely. I am big fan of the magicfill feature which is a combination form filler and encrypted password manager.
For whatever reason Maxthon has gone weird on me. It takes forever to load, will lock up when trying to add a favorite, as well as other problems. I thought it might have something to do with online favorites and password manager, but after turning off the syncing to those it still behaves poorly. I also tried completely uninstalling and reinstall, but no luck.
Thier forums are not much help, and you will never get a direct answer to a question.

So I am ditching Maxthon. I have been trying to decide what browser to switch to. I use Chrome at times for sites that are not Maxthon friendly. It seems OK, but it IS made by Google, as Furious says "They are too damn nosy".
I have used Firefox, but I don't care for it much. Explorer, Opera... I dunno.

I have finally decided to go with Comodo Dragon (Chrome but less nosy) and using LastPass as a password populator.

Any thoughts... advice?

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
LastPass ROCKS.

Everything Google is becoming more and more awful, so I'm staying with Führerfox (German Browser) until my classes are over and then I'm moving to Opera.

If I get on the Windows8 party bus (phone/tablet) I may find myself using Bing and IEwhatevernumber since I already use Live and Hotmail.

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used Open Office?

I'm planning to buy a new laptop soonish. I'm familiar with MS Office at work. I will need Excel, Word and Powerpoint to finish up my masters class. I can even get a student discount on MS Office. I'm just not sure if I need it. How easy does Open Office convert to MS and vice versa? Are there any limitations to Open? Same tools available?

Let me know what you think.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
Has anyone used Open Office?

I like OpenOffice a lot, but I am not a power user. I have noticed at times minor formatting issues with page breaking and text flow when opening a document that was originally created in Word.
I have not used OpenOffice much for spreadsheets or presentations.

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, Lan.

I tend to do quite a bit in Excel - pivot tables, solver add ons, some macros...wasn't sure if openoffice had that kind of thing also. Kinda looks like it, but I wasn't sure how similar they were.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I use open office at home and it works pretty well. I don't do a ton of heavy formatting, and my spreadsheets at home don't do a lot of heavy lifting, but it suits. I have found formatting, especially when trying to do creative layout and templates that use graphics/shapes, to be problematic when going between work and home (though one could argue that's as much a function of Micro$oft Word being a pain in the ass as OO).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
As for straight word processing and basic text formatting, it converts to Word and back pretty well. All the spreadsheet functions are there, I've not had any trouble with it losing formatting or functions or the like. The biggest fail when converting between the two is, like I said earlier, in when graphics and vector art are used to fancy up a document (usually event flyers for me).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
The spiritual successor to OOo, LibreOffice.

Unfortunately, for converting stuff, YMMV. Even Google Docs can't convert a .doc/.docx file properly. Transmorgifying the item into a .pdf keeps the formatting, but then you can't edit it. Mad

If you really REALLY need a perfect .docx solution, MicrosOffice is the only way to go, sort of like .psd files and Photoshop. If perfect .docx formatting isn't needed, then go with LibreOffice.

Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
Thanks for the input, Lan.

I tend to do quite a bit in Excel - pivot tables, solver add ons, some macros...wasn't sure if openoffice had that kind of thing also. Kinda looks like it, but I wasn't sure how similar they were.

OpenOffice has similar functionality, but it doesn't map 1:1 for easy transitions between the two.

If you're Serious About Excel, give OOo a pass, unless you can be reasonably sure that you will never need to interact with reasonably complicated excel files.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I am liking Comodo Dragon browser thus far. Using it with LastPass is giving me the feel of Maxthon without the problems I was having.
There are a couple of things that I miss, but I have not checked out Chromium extensions and plugins yet. I may be able to equate those features.

I liked Maxthon's built in download manager, but more importantly I miss the ability to mute web pages while not muting the rest of my computer.

Also there was no way to manually import all my username and passwords from Maxthon's Magicfill to LastPass. I had to do them one by one. It was tedious but worth it.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
So, got a little friendly warning from Windows 7 that my authentication couldn't authenticate. Apparently some dirty rotten software/malware removed the file that had 7's licensing stuff in it.

Troubleshot/fixed in less than 20 minutes.

If something's in my way... it'd better move.

Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I got myself a little Wacom Bamboo tablet to play around with a bit. (I've also got the latest Photoshop Elements.) Any tips on how to use the thing, good tutorials etc.?

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
The best tutorial is to play with the tablet, to get a feel for how close you need the stylus to it to move the mouse, to activate pressure-sensitive brushes, etc. I'm not a fan of mouse-clicking with the stylus's buttons because I hold it very close to the tip and I need to adjust my grip to click.

If you know how difficult it is to perfectly mask/outline an embedded photo object, you'll find the Bamboo tablet to be a godsend.

Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Furious. Do you know any good websites or books that offer a tutorial re: working with Photoshop Elements or similar programs (regardless of tablet or mouse)? I have the Missing Manual for Elements 10 and am very happy with it, so I'm covered on the technical side of things, but when it comes to the practical side I'm nowhere. I'm a doodler, so this is something I'll play around with, but I'd be happy to find some basic lessons.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I like the Teach Yourself Visually line of books. The training's not super-deep, but it's more than enough to get you going. Plus, the book should give you important shortcuts to speed up your work.

Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
Thirith, my little Bamboo tablet had tutorial info on one of the discs that came with it. Have you tried that to see if it might get you started? Mine is several years old, so I don't know what they package with them now.

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
I'll have to look into that. The installation disk that came with the tablet insisted on installing a whole lot of autostart, on-by-default crap, so I de-installed it (perhaps stupidly) before checking out everything on it.

@Furious: Thanks for that book suggestion. "Not super-deep" sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Smile