www.NeilgaimanBoard.com
Computer Help Desk

This topic can be found at:
http://neilgaimanboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/588609765/m/67810184041

May 07, 2012, 07:41 AM
fionchadd
Computer Help Desk
So I've created quite a nifty little space-invader-type game for the album launch of one of the bands we're doing PR for.

Currently it's an .exe file - is there a way I can make this run within their website? And if there is, is anyone able to explain it in relatively simple terms?!

I've found various bits and pieces of code on the webz, but am unsure what I need to do with it - add it into the source code of the website, onto the page, etc etc..

Any help greatly appreciated!

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts
May 07, 2012, 12:21 PM
Dread Captain Psyko
What did you use to create it?

That's what matters, not so much the fact that once you compiled it, you made a windows executable (.exe).

There's no way to make a .exe run through your website, but if it was originally made in say, Flash, and just compiled as an executable, you should be able to export it into a more web friendly form.
May 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
fionchadd
I made it in Multimedia Fusion Developer - I couldn't find an option to build anything other than an exe file.

It seemed to be a bit of a lost cause so I found an online flash game creator instead - had to compromise with ads on the game but at least it's on the website now!

If anyone is interested, it's here: http://cogdiss.com/cogdiss/?page_id=157

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts
May 18, 2012, 09:40 AM
Lan Martak
I am embarrassed to say that I am having a problem with my older Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop logging into to my local library's WIFI.

My Ipod Touch connects just fine there so I know there WIFI is working.

Also my laptop connects just fine to my home WIFI.

The problem is that I connect to the network just fine (Windows XP). For whatever reason none of my browsers will redirect to the library's login screen, so I cannot do anything.

It seems like it is trying to redirect to the "Terms of Service" screen but either times out or cannot get there.

I have tried changing settings on my Firewall, as well as other settings. I even turned the firewall off briefly just to see if it would connect.

I am at a loss. I consider myself fairly computer savvy and it bugs me that I cannot figure this out.

help

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lan Martak,

------------------------------
May 18, 2012, 12:11 PM
danyellia
quote:
The problem is that I connect to the network just fine (Windows XP). For whatever reason none of my browsers will redirect to the library's login screen, so I cannot do anything.

If it isn't automatically re-directing you, make note of the web address for the library's login screen (when you connect on another device) and type it in manually. It's worth a try (I have had to do this at one of the offices I visit).
May 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
Lan Martak
quote:
Originally posted by danyellia:
quote:

If it isn't automatically re-directing you, make note of the web address for the library's login screen (when you connect on another device) and type it in manually. It's worth a try (I have had to do this at one of the offices I visit).

Thanks Smile I tried that before. It acts like it is trying to redirect but seems like it times out.

I also don't think it was a weak signal. Connection looked strong in network view and this has happened to me a two different library locations.

June 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
Furious
YES! YES! YESSSSSS!

FINALLY a means to read my digital comics properly!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/c...nd-dual-boot-aio-pc/
June 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
Nemo888
So what are the must have programs after the inevitable Windows reinstall?

Here is mine.
Firefox
uTorrent
K-Lite codec pack
Office
Winrar
Daemon Tools
DVD Fab
Photoshop
Adobe Flash/Marcomedia

Did I miss anything? I'm going to back the entire install up to an external HDD. I want to click a button and have everything back to a pristine and elegant state.

June 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
Furious
also:

CCleaner
LastPass (if you use it)
Dropbox (if you use it)
ImgBurn
UltraISO
TrueCrypt
Outlook on the Desktop (if you use Outlook)
Xpadder (if you use/map buttons to an Xbox360 controller for your PC games)
Defraggler
Speccy
Notepad++
CDisplay 1.8 (for comics)
Spybot Search and Destroy
SnagIt

special drivers for your specific hardware

latest version of your nVidia/ATI video drivers

(personal)

Rainmeter
WinAmp + radiobroswer
IrfanView
ObjectDock
Rainmeter
Chrome
Opera
Photoshop + Gimp
PDF X-Change Viewer
June 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
Furious
okay okay okay okay

A Minnesota Hospital is gearing up to offer me an IT support position and they're using a website called Checkster to review my references. Bottom line, my past-career references are thin, and the more character references I have, the better. If any of you kind Boardies that I've helped in this thread would be willing to fill out a 5-10 minute survey about me, I'd be grateful.

These reference surveys need to be done ASAP, like, before Monday. Please PM me if you are interested and can do it (and not mention anything about Scoot :P)
June 29, 2012, 11:40 PM
Smaug
Furi - can i put a notice on the private WE facebook thread for anyone you've helped with computer stuff to check out this thread? You're more likely to get drop hys than here on a weekend.

And goodluck!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?
June 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
Furious
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
Furi - can i put a notice on the private WE facebook thread for anyone you've helped with computer stuff to check out this thread? You're more likely to get drop hys than here on a weekend.

And goodluck!

Sure! Right now I've fulfilled the 'quotas' that I was required to obtain, but every little bit helps. I understand that some of the survey can be a little head-scratching, and I need it done by Monday or before, so I'll understand if anyone can't do it.

P.S.: I'll explain more about the job when I've received/accepted an offer. Hospitally IT stuffs. *wiggles fingers*
June 30, 2012, 12:20 AM
Smaug
I'll be yiur cheerleader, complete with pompoms

Go Furi Go Furi Go Furi!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?
June 30, 2012, 03:53 AM
Motley
I've whizzed over here, but am not sure if I can help. I'm not sure I've ever asked any help, so if the queries are computer related and head-scratchy I may not be able to help anyway. But I'll have a go if you need me to. What say you?!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut
June 30, 2012, 07:45 AM
Furious
quote:
Originally posted by Motley:
I've whizzed over here-

:P

Send me a Private Message on the Board and I'll send you the details. Smile
June 30, 2012, 07:52 AM
Furious
In other geek news, Google has finally given me a reason to want a smartphone that can turn into a Wi-Fi hotspot.

A $250 extremely hackable iPad! *WANTS*
July 01, 2012, 09:57 AM
Lan Martak
My old reliable Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G router seems to be... I think "going whack" is the technical term.

We had some weird power outages here and the thing cycled on and off about 20 times over a few hour span.
Since then I can other connect wirelessly sporadically. I have unplugged and reconnected. I have not tried to reset. I just doubt if it would accomplish anything.

I need recommendations for a new router for a simple home network that won't break the bank.

July 01, 2012, 10:47 AM
Furious
Lan, see if there are any instructions to do a 'hard reset' or a '30-30-30' on your router.

I use this, and while you don't need to you can upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT to have better control and security over the router, plus boost the range of it.
July 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
Lan Martak
Thanks Furious. I don't have the latest Firmware, but I did upgrade a few years ago. I have version 4.20.7 which is only a few back.
I have not tried any 3rd party firmware, but I have heard good things about some of them.

I guess I will try the hard reset after all. It could not hurt anything now. Smile

July 01, 2012, 01:30 PM
Lan Martak
OK... Reset did not seem to accomplish anything, but I changed the channel setting from 6 to 11 and now it is working great again. Smile

I wonder if one of my neighbors's channel settings defaulted or changed after the power outages? (I live in a fair tight group of townhomes. You can see about 6 wireless network name show up in a network list at any one time.