Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
A FURILILY!!!

*pouncehugs*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12398 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
*biggest hugs*

*smooshes a waterballoon on Sporkarella's head while hugging*

I've missed doing that.

*does it again*

Big Grin

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
*cakesmashballoons back*

How have you been?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12398 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
*chucks some towels into the thread*

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
My laptop took a gravity check this afternoon and won't charge up now! Eek

I don't have the ability to replace the charging plug in the Windows 10 desktop, so I transferred my important files to a flash drive and dove into the technojunk I slogged with me during the move...

I frankensteined together a 9-year old laptop, shoved 8 gigs of RAM and a 128 gig SSD into it, installed Linux Mint, LibreOffice, and a bunch of other free apps (legitimately free, not "torrent" free Razz), connected two monitors, a better keyboard, speakers, portable blu-ray burner/player, and a wireless mouse, and...

now I have a PC that does what I want that runs faster and is WAY less annoying than my broken Windows 10 laptop. I-... how-... why couldn't I ever-...?

There's a life lesson for me in this somewhere and someday I'll be smart enough to figure it out.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
My new (old) laptop that will arrive by FedEx between now and when then sun burns out is a Dell E5430 with Win 7 32-bit. Nothing amazing by itself, but I'm going to install a 1TB SSD + 8gb RAM into it (the extra RAM won't do squat under Windows, buuuuut-) and then install Linux Mint and be all dual bootish.

Why Linux Mint? I can't stand that notification nannying of Windows/Office anymore, so I can can do basic netsurfing, bill paying, etc under Linux and then switch to Windows 7 (and a free copy of Office 2016 from work :P) for when I want to use work apps or legacy games or programs that I see no need to give up. I'll dock the laptop up to the dual monitors I mentioned earlier and then I'll have the Best Cheap Worsktation Ever!

tl;dr: Furi bought a hard drive that was more expensive than his new laptop and software. Roll Eyes

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Oh, and as far as craptastic laptop durability goes? Dell > HP > Acer > Asus. Never had a Lenovo (Thinkpad) and Toshiba and Apple aren't in the craptastic category.

My HP laptop that busted was okay until it fell off my bed and hit the floor directly on the charging plug. The plug was okay but the charging module on the inside disconnected/broke. Was given an Acer laptop and it lasted 8 months, anything ASUS I've ever used died within 90 days of purchase. Other Dells and HPs I've bought I repurposed and gave away. The Toshiba worked until I gave it away and the Apple laptop (back when they were called Powerbooks; I got a free iPod with the Powerbook that I've retrofitted and still use! It's 13 years old!) worked fine until the iJerks Apple's planned obsolescence turned it into a paperweight.

Can you tell that I'm babbling because I'm mad at FedEx? Holy crap I hate wOMG THEYRE HERE

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Le résultat:

The upgrade to an SSD hard drive was worth the (ridiculous) price and Windows 7 is running so smooth I think I'll avoid dual-installing Linux Mint.

Remember when you could easily tell Microsoft's programs to shut the hell up and quit bugging you? Remember when you didn't need to be online 24/7 just to play a stupid game? It's sooooo nice.