Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
OLPC

One laptop per child -- I so want two of these. That's right, two -- they're mesh networked; they automatically 'hook up'. su-weet.

(And I'm not sure whether one needs to be *actually* hooked up to the intertubes in order for the rest of 'em to get on the 'tubes')

But next month, for $400, you get one and give one.

But, probably not good for photo-editing and all -- too small.

There're so many inexpensive PCs out there, though -- heck, get an iPhone and do everything off of that! My son just built his (pretty much over-the-top gaming rig), but a basic model can be had for ~$500 these days - laptops, a bit more.

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
yeah,

i'm seeing desktop PC's for under £250. but i probably should shell out the extra £60-80 since i'll probably be flying home eventually and taking a labtop is way easier.

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else here use Eudora?

I'm transferring all my stuff from my ancient pc to this 'ere new laptop, and I'm having real difficulty in transferring all my emails.

I managed it last time, but this time I can't seem to find the right place to drop the Eudora files into.

The new laptop is on Vista with Office added.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
In Vista, the data files (mailboxes, etc) probably go in C:\Users\[username]\Appdata\roaming\qualcomm\eudora.

If that's not it, do a search on in.mbx and see where it's located.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Royko.

There's no appdata in that pathway, though, and when I just tried searching for in.mbx in the computer, none was found, even though I have eudora running!

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Royko, I love you. After a lot more digging around (stuff is in there that is NOT NAMED OR ON MENUS), I've found it.

I have yet to fix it, but in the meantime:

mwah mwah mwah mwah

Seriously.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
*runs in, shrieking*

It's working! It's working!

More mwahs!

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Royko is teh awesome! He salvaged my broadband internet connection twice, when even the stoopid cable guy couldn't (or wouldn't) fix it.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10997 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
ah, eudora. those were the days ...

now its outlook for work,
thunderbird for my original e.dress,
and two browser clients.

it's a maelstrom out there!

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I'm very fond of eudora, and wouldn't touch outlook express if you paid me. (Unless you paid me a lot.)

....and since I'm in this thread anyway,

MWAH, Royko, again!

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I have just got rid of my old computer, this afternoon, a mere month after I got my new one. It is wonderful.

Since almost all the essential data on my computer is in the form of emails, and since those were the ones I did not know how to move, my current happy state of affairs is due to Royko.

That is all!

*starts cargo cult*

waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Not quite the right thread, I think, but never mind.

Does anyone know how to post photos from a flikr account to a thread, so that people aren't able to click on the photo and open your flikr account?

Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
If you right click and go to 'Properties' and use the link in the little window it just gives the picture on a blank page, does that work for you?

Otherwise, I can bung it on mine, I don't mind people browsing mine.

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I seem to have solved the problem by selecting option 2 - which is specifically says i oughtn't to, but never mind.

Picture of Munk, The Wombat Confessor
posted Hide Post
I've got a question about buying a computer in Chili. I live in the US, but my inlaws are stuck in Chili for the next month (father in law got sick while traveling and is in the hospital and unable to travel). They are going batty without a computer to use, and they are thinking of buying one there in Chili. What problems do you think they will have if they do that? It would be a Dell. I'm assuming Windows based. So my questions are these:

1. When they set it up will they have the option of doing everything in English? Or will it automatically default to spanish? Is there a different version of windows for spanish, or is it all in the same package?

2. Will they have problems using said computer when they bring it back here to the US?

3. What other potential problems will there be with buying a computer down there?

Any and all suggestions/advice would be very much appreciated.

----------------------------
"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
Dell charges more in South America, at least they used too. Also the warranty will be hell to transfer. (It is possible IF you have the patience. I worked for Dell and I wouldn't even bother to try) But it all works exactly the same, just flick the switch on the power supply from 220 to 110 volts.

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I need recommendations on a new virus scan. I'm currently using the free version of AVG Anti-virus, but it doesn't like my external hard drive and my partition on my HDD. I haven't done a complete scan in month, and just last night it found a trojan, but because it doesn't finish the scan, I don't think it did anything with it.

I'm looking for solid, bloat-free, and inexpensive (in the $25 range, doesn't have to be free, but would be nice). I'd even pay to upgrade to AVG Pro if I knew it'd handle the partition/external drive. Thoughts?

Second, I'm not finding much of any info on the trojan that AVG found last night - Generic_c.IKY. One place with a thread on it said it could be a false positive, but to keep it in the vault before deleting it. Since AVG stalls on me, I'm not sure it's even IN a vault. Any thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Did you see this forum JeePz?

Sounds like someone bugged a Java update. I'd delete it.

I'm using Trend Micro's Internet Security antivirus and avast!'s free AV software, which is updated much more often than TM.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Yep, saw that forum. Thing is, because AVG doesn't like my partition (that or the external HD) it won't complete the scan and won't remove the file once it's found it. Hence looking for a new anti-virus.

I'll give avast a looksee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post