Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Computer Help Desk
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Desk
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Apple kicks Samsung's ass in court to the tune of $1 billion

My opinion? Everything's made in China and I'm sure this'll stop them from copying outsourced designs. Razz

That, and 'I got mine'. *pinch-zooms in and out on his Galaxy Nexus because he can*

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:rattle:rattle:
Picture of When_lingers
posted Hide Post
Usually I'm giving advice in this thread (although I haven't been around here for awhile), but I guess I need some advice before heading to the store. Our computer just died itself this past weekend. Just shut off while in use. First I thought it was probably the power supply, even though I changed less than a year ago, but I tried it with an older computer and it worked fine and tried another PSU that I knew was working to no avail. Of course it couldn't be the easy fix this time.

Since the computer does nothing, the PSU doesn't come on, the lights on the front panel don't come on, the computer acts more or less dead when I try to turn it on, that's why I thought PSU, or possibly a faulty power switch although that wouldn't account for the computer turning off suddenly. I checked the BIOS battery as well and that all checks out. While I had it open and testing the different PSUs, I noticed that the fan on the CPU just moves a bit when hitting the power button, which I guess confirms that the problem isn't there either.

So, my real question, how can I know if it is the motherboard or the CPU. My guess would be motherboard since "nothing" happens when I turn it on. Any suggestions?

Jeremy

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤
en boucle Claire Diterzi
"Come over here to where When lingers." Jig of Life -- Kate Bush
How's your jesus christ been hanging? Father Lucifer -- Tori Amos
Where When lingers and talks about music, books, art and life.

Posts: 1955 | Location: France | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
*tacklehugs Jeremy*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've needed this thread before, but this time my usual resources are out of ideas. So here we go:

I'm trying to use my Motorola Bluetooth headset (Elite Flip) with my Acer Aspire Notebook and Belkin Bluetooth Adapter, running Windows 7. According to Motorola customer service, this headset does not need a driver to work with my computer, however my computer is CONVINCED that there's a missing driver that needs to be download (which it will never, ever find, since one doesn't exist, since this headset doesn't need it). How do I tell my computer that no, it in fact is NOT missing a driver and should attempt to use it as it. I've rebooted everything and tried to get the latest updates for Windows and the adapter (which may be the problem, since that update is still trying to "validate" the adapter). Motorola customer service is no help, saying it's a computer issue. Computer customer service is no help since the notebook is no longer under warranty (even though it's not a warranty issue, I can't even GET to a person to explain that).

Anyone have any suggestions beyond throwing this stupid thing against a wall??

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
I would throw it against the wall. Big Grin

The first thing I would suspect would be the Belkin Bluetooth adapter. That may be what it wants a driver for. Have you used it with any other devices? Does Windows ask about a driver when you plug that in or when you try to connect your headset? And do you have the model number for the Belkin adapter? If so, I'll dig around more.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the headset shouldn't need a driver, but the Bluetooth adapter probably does.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by When_lingers:
Usually I'm giving advice in this thread (although I haven't been around here for awhile), but I guess I need some advice before heading to the store. Our computer just died itself this past weekend. Just shut off while in use. First I thought it was probably the power supply, even though I changed less than a year ago, but I tried it with an older computer and it worked fine and tried another PSU that I knew was working to no avail. Of course it couldn't be the easy fix this time.

Since the computer does nothing, the PSU doesn't come on, the lights on the front panel don't come on, the computer acts more or less dead when I try to turn it on, that's why I thought PSU, or possibly a faulty power switch although that wouldn't account for the computer turning off suddenly. I checked the BIOS battery as well and that all checks out. While I had it open and testing the different PSUs, I noticed that the fan on the CPU just moves a bit when hitting the power button, which I guess confirms that the problem isn't there either.

So, my real question, how can I know if it is the motherboard or the CPU. My guess would be motherboard since "nothing" happens when I turn it on. Any suggestions?

I'd uninstall the mobo and clean and investigate. Dust bunnies can create shorts/fast overheating.

minimum needed to boot --> psu + Mobo + memory + cpu - try that combination. If that doesn't work you have a 1 in 3 chance of figuring out whhich is the bad component (since you already eliminated the psu)

Try resetting the memory and cpu? new thermal paste between the cpu heat sink and fan?

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
When Lingers

Push hard on the centre of the cpu fan and then the push down on the memory modules. If you hear or feel a small click it will probably turn right back on.

If that doesn't work remove and reseat the cpu and fan.

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
*looking at an ASUS TF300T 10.1" tablet + dock for $400*

*looking reeeeeeeeeally hard at it*

comics  

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
*making the post office people move faster through sheer willpower*

*and making this face at them *

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
The tablet is niiiiiiiiice. Big Grin

10" screen for digital comic books and Netflix, plus most of my Android Jelly Bean apps from my smartphone work on the tablet. I have a 32GB Class 10 Micro SD card stuck in it, plus I can put -another- 32GB SD into the keyboard, which also has a full-size USB 2.0 slot, so if I really need Interwebs I can tether it to my smartphone.

If you're too cheap to buy and iPad and too smart to buy a Surface yet, get one of these.

NO NEED TO EVER GO OUTSIDE AGAIN!

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I loves my tablet, even though its only on android version 2.something and sometimes crashes on playing youtube videos .... I'll upgrade it one day.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
The tablet is niiiiiiiiice. Big Grin

10" screen for digital comic books and Netflix, plus most of my Android Jelly Bean apps from my smartphone work on the tablet. I have a 32GB Class 10 Micro SD card stuck in it, plus I can put -another- 32GB SD into the keyboard, which also has a full-size USB 2.0 slot, so if I really need Interwebs I can tether it to my smartphone.

If you're too cheap to buy and iPad and too smart to buy a Surface yet, get one of these.

NO NEED TO EVER GO OUTSIDE AGAIN!

I've been thinking I need want a tablet, but no clue what to get or why. I'm too cheap for an ipad, so other options are Kindle Fire HD 8.9, something Google, or something else entirely. Your Asus sound nice, will need to check it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 32GB Class 10 Micro SD card stuck in it, plus I can put -another- 32GB SD into the keyboard, which also has a full-size USB 2.0 slot, so if I really need Interwebs I can tether it to my smartphone.

And if you are in a place with only wired internet access you can use a usb to ethernet adapter with it. Different model, but I am quite happy with my Asus tablet (transformer prime.)

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanderinginmn:
quote:
I have a 32GB Class 10 Micro SD card stuck in it, plus I can put -another- 32GB SD into the keyboard, which also has a full-size USB 2.0 slot, so if I really need Interwebs I can tether it to my smartphone.

And if you are in a place with only wired internet access you can use a usb to ethernet adapter with it. Different model, but I am quite happy with my Asus tablet (transformer prime.)

Yeah, you might as well call me Ivan Jr.!

> wears black
> Transformer tablet
> goatee
> does stuff

We're like, twins. Razz

Appwise, 95% of my smartphone stuff (and all of the paid-for Google Play stuff) works on my tablet, saving me $$$... to buy more apps (yay ComicRack and pinball!)

Picture of Croaker
posted Hide Post
HI,

I'm looking for some basic direction advice on databases.

I'm trying to build a database in access.
What I have is multiple lists of email addresses (tables). Some people will be on multiple lists.
Say a list of restaurant customers, retail customers, members, etc.

What I'm trying to get is something that shows some basic info from one main lists - name, number, etc. and also shows me which of the other lists (tables) that an individual is on.
Email would be the primary key - as it's the only unique identifier I'll have.

Am I looking for a form which can show fields from other tables?
I've tried this and when i create a relationship it only shows me people that are on both tables (I've started with only 2 tables to keep it simple). But I want to have everyone who's on the main table, and a blank (or something) if they're not on the other table.

Am I looking for a form which can show query results (to check if they're on other tables)? Can you do this?

Am I looking for a report?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? And have bit off more than I can chew?

Thanks.

---------------------
Good Dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Croaker, I -will- be learning Access/SQL later this year, but since that won't help you, why not try a pre-made database?

Maybe it help. Maybe.

Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I'd have to think about this in more detail, but my first thought is this: you shouldn't have multiple tables with people's e-mail addresses. Instead you should have a table with contacts and then a second table that links a contact's ID to the different lists - restaurant customers, retail customers, members.

So, table 1 might look like this:
1 - John Smith - jsmith@hotmail.com
2 - Peter Jones - ohnonotyouagain@gmail.net
3 - Croaker O'Brien - irishcroaker@eirenet.ie

Table 2 will then list the contact ID as many times as necessary, linked to some sort of identifier, e.g.:
1 - restaurant
1 - member
2 - retail
3 - restaurant
3 - retail

You could then have a form showing the contacts, with a sub-form (I think that's what they're called) listing all the identifiers for the contact you're currently displaying.

The disadvantage of having different lists and comparing them based on a certain value is that there's so much potential for mistakes, e.g. a typo in the e-mail address, or someone changes their e-mail address and you don't update it in all the tables. As a rule of thumb: never have the same information in multiple tables.

I hope this helps - will think about it further!

Edit: Depending on the categories you're working with, what you want to do with them and how they may expand, it may make sense to have a third table listing all the categories and giving them unique identifiers, and table 2 would then link the contacts' IDs to the category IDs. This makes it easier to change or add to the categories at a later stage.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Those of you in my G+ will have seen this, but thought I'd cross post here (no telling when you'll visit G+ to see it there!)

The tablet market is screwy and frustrating me. I'm an Amazon Prime member, so the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" seems like the way to go for consuming media. EXCEPT that it doesn't have any of the Google Apps I know and love, like Gmail and Google Drive, or even Youtube. Yeah, it has its own email client, and I can get dolphin browser (I think), and Imo.im (I think, which would take in Google Talk) but not being able to natively/easily use my Gmail (even if their app is ok) is frustrating. I love the idea of streaming Amazon Prime content, but I also want the tablet to function on the web/IM so I can hand off my netbook.

On the other side is the Google Nexus 7 and 10. These are going to natively support all of my Google apps, but doesn't have Amazon Unbox or any way to stream Amazon Prime content (right?), and it doesn't have any ability to expand memory, which is just plain stupid. The Nexus 7 is in my price range, but seems small, and the 10 is more than I want to pay. Though I'd be able to IM and email and browse conveniently, seems silly to have a tablet that won't let me stream Amazon Prime content.

Then there is the ASUS transformer tablets, which I know nothing about, but seem to be more competitive for the iPad and priced as such. And I still don't know if I can stream/consume Amazon Prime content. Same is said for the Samsung Galaxy Note. And I'm still not sure what to make of the Microsoft Surface tab.

Like I said, what I'm really trying to do is replace my netbook, on which I do browsing, IM , and Google Drive/Docs stuff, and could use Unbox to stream Amazon content if I chose (haven't done so on my netbook, but have on Rae's new laptop). Unfortunately, because of the proprietary nature of tablets and content providers and app markets, it doesn't look like I'll be able to find something that does everything. Unless that is an iPad, which I've never actually looked at because of price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
I think you are going to have a mixed bag with the amazon content on a normal android tablet. Movies and video should work if you install flash and use a browser that supports flash (xscope or some of the versions of firefox.) Books should not be a problem with the kindle app, though of course the lending library thing will not work on a non-kindle.

If those limitations are not deal breakers, I would go with the Nexus or one of the Asus models. If you are looking for more of a netbook feel, the keyboard dock is a pretty slick addition to the Transformer line. With the keyboard, you get an extra battery that charges the tablet, a USB port (flash drive, USB to ethernet, or other peripherals) and an SD card slot in addition to the microsd card slot on the tablet itself.

If you do go the transformer route, I would suggest going with the tf-300 or Infinity depending on your price point as the Prime (tf-201) had some hardware wifi issues. I actually have the Prime and love it, but they did correct an issue with the metal back plate on the tablet dampening the wifi reception when they came out with the tf-300 and infinity models.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post