Tools

Thanksgiving Menu
 Login/Join

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
But Dev doesn't like turkey. or stuffing. or gravy. and I have to practically force him to eat carrots.
3 vs. 1 - Dev is outvoted. Do a traditional dinner so I can live vicariously through you!

Posts: 10975 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
This seems like it would be useful.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12868 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
I just helped my mom bake 4 pumpkin pies and 3 apple crumbles for school. I'm DEFINITELY not doing dessert on Thursday!!

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5269 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:
We have decided not to go with turkey this year - because turkeys are too small for 21 PEOPLE. We have upgraded to a WHOLE ROAST PIG.

Lechon
Two (2) 7-Bone Prime Ribs
Two (2) Home-Made Hams
Korean BBQ Ribs

and
Other Wussy Sides Getting In The Way Of The Meat

aah!! i want lechon for thanxgiving!!

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14204 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
i am probably going to let moms do thanksgiving this year still.
not up to learning to cook everything ever yet.
most likely will involve turkey, deliciously salty stuffing, wild rice/stuffing casserole, butternut squash soop maybe? copious amounts of buttery mashed potatoes, let's see.. mom likes to make asparagus w/ hollandaise too... i know i'm forgetting something... gosh i'm hungry...

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14204 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fluffyllama:
quote:
We have decided not to go with turkey this year - because turkeys are too small for 21 PEOPLE. We have upgraded to a WHOLE ROAST PIG.

Lechon
Two (2) 7-Bone Prime Ribs
Two (2) Home-Made Hams
Korean BBQ Ribs

and
Other Wussy Sides Getting In The Way Of The Meat

aah!! i want lechon for thanxgiving!!

We decided to deep fry a turkey as well. So we'll have lechon and turkey.

----

The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
David's aunt has kindly offered to host Thanksgiving this year, so we don't need to worry about cooking, cleaning, etc. We were told just to bring the baby and some light hors d'ouevres Smile I will report back on the menu!

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
We're gobbling at my big bro's house, and there will be 16 of us. On the menu:
Smoked Gouda baked in crescent rolls as a starter
Cucumber salad
Jello salad (don't ask...it's something my bro's stepmom is doing and it's basically a slice of jello sitting on a lettuce leaf. Ugh.)
Turkey (roast)
Ham (baked)
Shrimp stuffing (my grandmother gave my mother this recipe quite literally from her death bed)
Plain stuffing (for TLOML, who likes nothing in his stuffing but bread)
Cranberry relish With pears poached in coffee (my mom's making this)
Canned cranberry sauce (for the "I like my cranberries gelatinous and tubular" set)
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Candied Sweet potatoes
Green Bean casserole
Asparagus
Spinach gruyere gratin ( My contribution)
Pumpkin cream pie
Apple pie (I'll be attempting my MIL's recipe...it's baked in a paper bag...wish me luck)

I plan on wearing elastic-waisted clothing to thanksgiving dinner. The only thing missing, I think, is the WHOLE ROASTED PIG. *jealousy*

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alaura,

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
P.S. my friend made stuffed pumpkin for me a couple weeks ago...Tis da BOMB.

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
We decided to deep fry a turkey as well.

How can you possibly deep-fry a turkey, except in a commercial fryer?

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15828 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
We are a strange country

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
quote:
We decided to deep fry a turkey as well.

How can you possibly deep-fry a turkey, except in a commercial fryer?
My uncle has a dedicated propane turkey fryer. We almost set fire to the grass the first year. We keep the hose nearby.

----

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Good grief on the turkey thing.

I think next time I want a massive piece of meat cooked (I hardly if ever do), I'll ask the guys in the shop downstairs with the rotisserie thing to do it for me. One of the contractors said that he got them to do a massive leg of lamb, and it was amazing.

quote:
Originally posted by Alaura:
Apple pie (I'll be attempting my MIL's recipe...it's baked in a paper bag...wish me luck)

What does the paper bag do?

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15828 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
The bag is supposed to prevent the top crust from over browning while allowing the filling to bake up nice and melty. All I know is its the best apple pie I've ever had and she insists the secret's in the paper bag. See?

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Yay! I found a reasonably sized and priced turkey breast, so turkey and gravy and mashed potatoes and stuffing and carrots and corn and pumpkin pie!

I should ask Steve if he wants some sweet potatoes and I usually make cranberry sauce and squish out all the seeds, but I think this year I will just buy a can of it!

I baked bread yesterday, so I have a loaf to cut up for the stuffing. And I don't know what possessed me, but I'm also doing spaghetti and goulash today.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25176 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
Fake turkey (Quorn; no tofu)
Mushroom gravy (my gravy is very good)
Stuffing (not stuffed into anything)
Mashed potato (locally grown)
Roasted root vegetables (mostly locally grown including sweet potato, celeriac, beet, parsnip, carrot, turnip, onion, and some other thing I forgot the name of…)
Cranberry sauce (made from scratch with cranberries)
Pies (pumpkin and apple, probably)

Posts: 2812 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
So, reporting back as promised, we had a pretty standard (and very yummy) T-day meal:

Turkey
Green beans (not the casserole, just the beans)
Corn
Stuffing
Cranberry relish (had pieces of various other fruits in there as well)
Mashed potatoes
Gravy

David & I brought raw veggies and dip, crackers and cheese (Havarti and Huntsman), and a warm garlic herb dip with bread pieces for dipping as appetizers. Dessert was an apple crumb pie.

NOM.

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
White people are weird. I'm sticking with our WHOLE ROAST PIG.

Back home, WHOLE ROAST PIG or LAMB or GOAT is pretty standard main course for Christmas Eve/Day.

ETA: I had to google 'green bean casserole'... It might be one of the most bizarre dishes I've ever read about. And I only just found about it now! Love this board Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cloverheart,

Posts: 11801 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cloverheart:
ETA: I had to google 'green bean casserole'... It might be one of the most bizarre dishes I've ever read about. And I only just found about it now! Love this board Smile

It pretty much got invented by Campbell's Soup Company to sell more of their cream of mushroom soup. I usually don't like dishes invented by a company just to sell more of their product, but I make an exception for this because it's so darned tasty, and because the best recipes don't use their brand.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48705 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cloverheart:
quote:
White people are weird. I'm sticking with our WHOLE ROAST PIG.

Back home, WHOLE ROAST PIG or LAMB or GOAT is pretty standard main course for Christmas Eve/Day.
Ah, but has Anthony Bourdain called your WHOLE ROAST PIG the most delicious he's ever tasted? I THINK NOT!

----