Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Beer belly up to the Sports Bar (now with free whole grain tortilla chips)
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beer belly up to the Sports Bar (now with free whole grain tortilla chips)
 Login/Join

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted
I know there have been general sports threads in the past, I think they all die from the specific sports threads, but I thought I'd start one anyway, at least to start off talking about the NCAA Men's Tourney.

*looks around the room at the various TVs playing the various televised games and sports talk and highlight shows*

So, what do your brackets look like? I've got Louisville Kansas, Memphis, Duke and Gonzaga in the Final Four, with Memphis beating Duke for the Championship.

Of the three early games already in the books, I'm 2 for 3, losing the BYU/Texas A&M game.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JP,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Munk, The Wombat Confessor
posted Hide Post
Pit, Michigan State, UConn and UNC. And I'm going with UConn. I know they're main dude's a bit hurt, but I'm going based on a statistical run-down, and it chose them as the winners.

3 for 3 so far.

----------------------------
"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
*points at JP's Loser bracket*

Memphis hasn't played anyone. They have another oneanddone Freshman at point. They barely beat CS-Northridge.

I entered two brackets. My first one has MSU, Memphis, Pitt and UNC with Pitt beating MSU. My second bracket has Kansas, Purdue, Pitt, UNC with UNC beating Kansas. I think Wake and Purdue are both very dangerous 4 and 5 seeds. There's probably 8-10 legitimate teams that could be in the Final 4.

Any upsets you're predicting? I like Utah St. over Marquette. Marquette hasn't been the same since they lost their stud and Utah St. is essentially playing a home game in Boise. I also like Western Kentucky over Illinois if Chester Fraizer doesn't play. He had surgery about a week ago.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, we didn't even match up a single final 4 team there JP.

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen F Austin over Syracuse is my upset pick. (although I didn't have the balls to actually enter my bracket like that) Big Grin

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Munk, The Wombat Confessor:

Same here with both of mine.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind I've watched maybe 3 full college games all season and filled out my bracket in 10 minutes before the tourney started. There is ZERO basis for my picks other than hype, historical (or is that hysterical?) name bias, Big Ten and Big 12 Bias, and what little I've picked up on sports talk this week, and even that wasn't much. It's been a busy weekend/week leading up to this. So yeah, I don't go into this to win as much as I do just having something to look at and follow as the games are played. Only thing up for grabs is bragging rights in the family, and Rae always beats me anyway, and the extended family are much more into college ball that I am. I think I do this just because I'm supposed to this time of year? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I'm of the same mind-set on this as you JP. It's just this time of year. I love playing basketball, but I dont follow it much. But it's always good watercooler talk. Just like Bowl season in football.

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any upsets you're predicting?

W.KY over Illinois
VCU over UCLA
I wanted to pick Wisconsin over FL State, but didn't. I couldn't pick Northern Iowa over Purdue either, but that was Big Ten that made that pick for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I actually picked Wisconsin in one of my brackets to make the sweet 16, beating Florida St and Xavier. They play such a tough defense that they could mess up FlaSt. Xavier has been struggling a bit as well. It was the only double digit seed I had making the sweet 16 in either bracket, so we'll see what happens.

I follow college hoops a bit closer because my Spartans have been so fun to watch the last decade. I love Izzo. He started there when I was a sophmore. And he's as nice a guy as he comes off in interviews.

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Can I just order a Stout and sit in the corner? I don't do sports, but I'd sure like a beer.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
*slides a pint of Schlafly's Oatmeal Stout to Maeve* Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
I like sports but I have no idea what you lot are talking about!

I miss the Super 14!

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Sweet - 7 games in, I've only lost BYU (losing to Texas A&M, which, really, I would have no idea about)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
quote:
Originally posted by Munk, The Wombat Confessor:

Same here with both of mine.
Nah, we do now, I'm making a second bracket. I ALWAYS have Kansas in my final four, I'm not sure why I didn't have them their earlier. Only thing I can think of is I had filled in Louisville to march through the bracket before I realized that meant they had to beat Kansas.

I'll scan both of my brackets and try to post them as jpg.

Bracket 1 - Louisville, Memphis, Duke, Gonzaga, with Memphis beating Duke for the Championship.

Bracket 2 - Kansas, Purdue, Duke, Gonzaga, with Kansas beating Duke for the Championship.

Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Here are my brackets
So far, with 12 of the 16 games in the books, I've only lost 2 - BYU(8) lost to Texas A&M(9) and Clemson(7) lost to Michigan(10).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
NCAA Men's Tourney.

I'm serious JP what does this mean?

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Smile NCAA = National Collegiate Athletic Association. This is March Madness, the big Men's College Basketball Tourney. 64 teams playing in single-elimination bracket format.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
Smile NCAA = National Collegiate Athletic Association. This is March Madness, the big Men's College Basketball Tourney. 64 teams playing in single-elimination bracket format.

Illegal betting season, in other words!

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
Lots of words that look like English.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8099 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post