Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Beer belly up to the Sports Bar (now with free whole grain tortilla chips)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beer belly up to the Sports Bar (now with free whole grain tortilla chips)
 Login/Join

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Hot damn that was a good game Smile Brackets be damned, this is a fun looking final four.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Munk, The Wombat Confessor
posted Hide Post
I got 3 of th 4. I had Nova knocked off by Duke. And then I had Pit in the final game. So now my only hope is for UCon to move up in my bracket.

----------------------------
"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I'll be damned:
quote:
Bowlen: Broncos Will Trade Cutler

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has taken this drawn-out story to the next level in the following statement:

"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by Head Coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.

A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos.

We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded.”

What makes this interesting is that the Detroit Lions, one of the obvious targets for Cutler with the first overall pick, just had an outstanding private workout with Georgia's Matthew Stafford. Tampa Bay? The Jets? Who knows, but it seems that Cutler's Denver days are behind him -- unless this is one big unholy bluff (which it probably isn't). Keep in mind that Bowlen sided with John Elway over Dan Reeves all those years ago. This is an interesting about-face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Good luck to anyone who takes him.

It'll probably be the Lions... 

And Calipari went to Kentucky. Sounds like a perfect fit to me. A big ego, slimeball to a school with unrealistic expectations. If Jodie Meeks jumps to the NBA, he may not make the NCAA next year, possibly the year after. I really don't like Calipari. He's up there near Bo Ryan.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Are the expectations in KY to win right away? I know they aren't paying him to not win, and he'll be successful because the program doesn't suck and he'll be able to recruit, but I would think he'll have a year to get his bearings?

Some guy from a Louisville paper said he'd have taken Izzo over Calipari. Think Izzo would have wanted it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
Some guy from a Louisville paper said he'd have taken Izzo over Calipari. Think Izzo would have wanted it?

I agree with him. Izzo is a better coach than Calipari, but he wouldn't have gone. Izzo is a Michigan guy. The only thing I can see maybe dragging him away is not money, but the challenge of an NBA championship. If he gets a second NCAA championship (in Detroit no less), I could see him consider it. 8 years ago I was more worried. He's passed on bigger money (Atlanta Hawks in '01). The Kentucky mystique/history isn't anything. He's at the home of Magic. People nationwide are starting to mention MSU in the same breath as UCLA, Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke. (Except Vitale because he gives Coach K BJs every weekend.)

The reason fewer people talk about MSU is we don't produce as many NBA prospects. Izzo got burned with Zach Randolph 8 years ago and stopped recruiting the 1 and done players. He wants guys who will stay 4 years. 4 year college guys are considered failures because the NBA would've drafted you earlier if you had any potential. Can you name any MSU player? Any night we can have 7 different players lead in scoring. Let's see UConn game plan for that. That's where I see Izzo might not have fit at Kentucky. They expect championships and big name players. It's just not worth Izzo's recruiting effort to have a guy for one year. Calipari has no problem with those players.

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
And Calipari will be given at least one year. Just like Rich Rodrigez at U of M football. 2 subpar years and the heat will be turned up.

Calipari will likely produce wins. He has at least one recruit for Memphis that will transfer. The kid has verbally agreed, but not signed a letter of intent. What I see with Calipari is a Kelvin Sampson type explosion where he bends the rules and gets caught. Recruiting is the dirty underbelly of NCAA basketball. The schools that get those top recruits all do some ugly things to get those kids. See Exhibit A - UConn, Exhibit B - OJ Mayo @ USC.

That's why I like that Izzo recruits the less sought after, blue collar players that stay for 4 years.

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Rumor mill for Cutler:

Cleveland apparently loves Stafford. Detroit sends #1 pick to Cleveland to pick him; Cleveland sends Quinn or Anderson to Denver; Denver sends Cutler to Detroit.

Welcome Puddinhead II

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Do the Bears suddenly become the favorite to win the Norse?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I would say so. Cutler is 17-1 if his defense holds the other team to 21 points or less. The Bears should be able to do that. Granted Cutler no longer has Brandon Marshall to throw to, but he gets to play Detroit twice.

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Didn't Forte lead the team in receptions and reception yards last year? Maybe Hester becomes a legit target? And the Olsen/Clark duo should still function well, I would imagine. Still, yeah, they need a (No.1) receiver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
Maybe they can sign Plax Wink

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Nah, I hear the Bengals are at the top of that list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
The crabs aren't going to win a championship, not like this. No team that gets sodomized this way by a conference rival is a real contender. I don't buy it. Not with LeBron settling for jumpers and Varejao pretending to be Nowizky.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I hear that, Gal. I was stunned at the final score of that game. That was a beat down.

In other news
*high fives DaveyMatt* Big Grin
I only watched the last 10 minutes, but that's all I needed to see. What a fun, solid win for State.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
Nah, I hear the Bengals are at the top of that list.

I think the Brownies have the Bengals beat now when it comes to criminals and they will most likely need to fill the role of Stallworth.

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
In other news
*high fives DaveyMatt* Big Grin
I only watched the last 10 minutes, but that's all I needed to see. What a fun, solid win for State.

*gopher dances*

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

One more!

Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
The stuff of legends.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of Hooligan
posted Hide Post
Dang it. I'm going to have to get up at 3:00 in the morning for the final. Wouldn't have done it if UNC didn't make the final.

Go Heels!

Posts: 3024 | Location: Uncle Sam's worst summer camp | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post