Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Videogames 2.0: Now with extra design flaws!
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Videogames 2.0: Now with extra design flaws!
 Login/Join

Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
playdishonored.gif

to be clear, that is being shot at by a guard, using dark magic to stop time, possessing his body, and moving him in front of his own bullet that then blows his head off.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
Curse you X-Com and your insatiable hunger for rookie meat. I give them red shirts so I know who is expendable.

Posts: 850 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PNLAAW

This is a pretty incredible deal. Deus Ex +DLC, Hitman, both Just Cause games and some other goodies for only 10 bucks.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
It was great seeing such a wonderfully polished and well produced X-Com/UFO game. Combat was the best ever.

It will be great for new players of the genre. But I was really let down. The non-existent research tree was the biggest disappointment. This was the heart of strategy and the only way to survive in the old games. A bad choice would cripple you. The choices were endless and on repeated playthroughs you could rock amazing builds to tear through opponents.

There was no choosing provinces or territories to invade. Only three types of weapons. When leveling up you only had two choices of abilities and the classes were chosen for you with no chance to adjust stats. There is no inventory, storage or ammo. It's a strategy game with all the choices already outright or subtly made for you.

So other than some great combat and graphical beauty the game has been lobotomized. The Jessica Simpson of the X-Com series. I bought a chess set and got checkers.

Posts: 850 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
Greatly enjoying Dishonored here - very much worth the admission fee, especially if you like stealth gameplay. And the world is one of the most fascinating ones in video games ever.

Also, if you're in any way into zombies, adventure games and/or storytelling in games, check out The Walking Dead. Less overtly gruesome than the comics but no less riveting for it. Not a pleasant gaming experience but one of the most compelling and heartbreaking ones.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
A few weeks before Christmas, I got a great deal at the pawn shop on a Gameboy Color and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Fun, fun, fun and a totally selfish, cheap purchase. I tried to justify it because I already had a Tetris cartridge and no system to play it on Wink It worked.

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
If it's fun, it'll make you happier, which in turn is great for the people around you, so it's far from totally selfish. Wink

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
Great point Thirith! I like that. Smile

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Bane plays Slender.

Stupid. Which is why I like it. Razz

Posts: 32705 | Location: The Island of Misfit USB Peripherals | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
Not sure whether anyone's mentioned it so far - but if any of you are masochists and hankering for a moody, hard-as-nails game, do check out Dark Souls, the spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls. It's tough - boy, is it tough - but one of the most atmospheric, compelling games I've played, well, since Demon's Souls. It's a commitment, though, and anyone starting out should read some tips for new players, because quadruple amputees provide more hand-holding...

Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
any FPS for PC suggestions? The kidlet is getting into the genre at his friend's houses.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1945 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
What kind of FPSes? Corridor shooters or more free-roaming ones? Multiplayer or singleplayer? Conventional or is he open to weirder fare?

If he's into MP, Battlefield 3 is a good bet, provided you've got a machine that runs it well.

If he's into corridor shooters, the Call of Duty games are fun - but shallow and "rah, rah, militarism!" as hell.

If he likes free-roaming shooters, Far Cry 3 got great reviews. (It might require a good machine as well.) Personally I love the Stalker games, but they require the latest patches and play much better with the Complete fan mods.

If he doesn't mind playing something less conventional, Dishonoured is a great, very imaginative game that can be played as a shooter, a sneaker and anything in between.

There are also some retro and old-school shooters that are pretty good (depending on his tolerance for games that look a bit dated), e.g. Crysis, Half-Life 2, Serious Sam, the least ancient Jedi Knight games.

Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
Serious Sam!

The game that turns you into a twitch-finger psycho!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BOOM!

Posts: 252 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
Rig is limited issue, his pc is running a phenom 2 tri, 4gb ram, with crossfire 5770s all of which can be overclocked a bit depending on need (stressed some of those components when they were in my pc.)

Main limiting objective is human vs undead or zombie or alien or other. D- is not hip on human sniping human graphically for him.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1945 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, stay away from Aliens: Colonial Marines, which has just come out, because apparently it's absolutely dire. Even review mags and sites that usually give bad games a 7 out of 10 are panning it.

Thinking about it, most of the current(ish) FPSes on PC have human enemies; human vs. aliens is more common on consoles for some reason. Even the games that feature non-human enemies often have a fair number of human bad guys.

As far as zombie shooters are concerned, though, Left 4 Dead and its sequel are both good. They're also co-op shooters, which is quite rare. And then there's the recent Doom 3 re-release - I never liked that game, but there are many who did.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanderinginmn:
Rig is limited issue, his pc is running a phenom 2 tri, 4gb ram, with crossfire 5770s all of which can be overclocked a bit depending on need (stressed some of those components when they were in my pc.)

Main limiting objective is human vs undead or zombie or alien or other. D- is not hip on human sniping human graphically for him.

Hrm. Since that's a circa 2008 CPU, I'd say stick with games up to 2007 (Bioshock, COD4:Modern Warfare, Crysis, Orange Box, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Posts: 32705 | Location: The Island of Misfit USB Peripherals | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
System Shock 2 is being released on GOG.com tomorrow.

Every kid should have nightmares about SHODAN like 12 year old me did.

Because seriously, SHODAN is/was fucking terrifying in all of the right ways.

Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
The left 4 dead series might be a good start. A bit older, but for $20 I can get two copies for co-op when friends are over (and he already has a steam account due to me roping him in for civ 5.)

And Furious, Heka was 2009 :P

-Ivan.

Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyway, that's less of an issue now than it was 5-10 years ago. Seeing how there are few games that are PC exclusive these days, gaming demands on hardware have risen less steeply during the reign of Xbox 360 and PS3. Usually these days video cards are much more important to games running smoothly than CPUs, and even then you can easily get away without upgrading every 1-2 years.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
The left 4 dead series might be a good start. A bit older, but for $20 I can get two copies for co-op when friends are over (and he already has a steam account due to me roping him in for civ 5.)

LOL! Okay in that case, go crazy and

go to gog.com and buy SS2 dammit you need nothing else 

:P