Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gear.
 Login/Join

Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted
So there are some good shows being produced these days, we've had threads about several of them.

But not one of these shows can rival the glorious lunacy that is Top Gear. I've only watched about eight episodes so far and yet I am convinced of this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

A quick search shows that I am not alone here, so I figured this awesome, awesome show deserves it's own thread.

And to celebrate, here's the Reliant Robin space shuttle experiment:

Part one.

Part two.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
AAAAhhhh. Smile
I have no TV at the moment, but it is one of my favourites too. Does anyone have a link to the American special (the one where they ate roadkill and nearly became roadkill in Alabama)?

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
I love Top Gear.

That is all.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5625 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always wears a tie - just not around his neck
Picture of Graffalke the Chrono-Illogical Alchemist
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in the UK I used to watch that show religously and I am not that into cars! It is a great show, I now catch it every once in awhile on BBC America

Head of internal security of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,  
Catnip Master in the order of the Pineapple.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Lost in Time.........and Space | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scourge of the Lower East Side
Picture of Nel Gurgle
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the episode with Simon Cowell, when they told him he had the fastest time around the track.

----------------------------
Official Pineapple Master General of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination

He said 'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it....

Posts: 14738 | Location: 'burbs of Chicago | Registered: September 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
He was on again this week end. He has had a lot of plastic surgery!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5625 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waspfearer:
AAAAhhhh. Smile
I have no TV at the moment, but it is one of my favourites too. Does anyone have a link to the American special (the one where they ate roadkill and nearly became roadkill in Alabama)?

That was the pinnacle achievement of the televised medium. Nothing else will ever be that good.

~ Gal-El

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Newromancer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a link to the American special (the one where they ate roadkill and nearly became roadkill in Alabama)?

You will find anything you need at Final Gear.

Posts: 373 | Location: Cyberspace | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newromancer:
quote:
Does anyone have a link to the American special (the one where they ate roadkill and nearly became roadkill in Alabama)?

You will find anything you need at Final Gear.

You can find the episode on YouTube as well:

Here's part 1/7.

~ Gal-El

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
My favourite was driving to the North Pole!

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
From out of the cloven pine
Picture of Weaver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FatOigeon:
quote:
AAAAhhhh. Smile

That was the pinnacle achievement of the televised medium. Nothing else will ever be that good.

You sure about that?

Top Gear Caravan Holiday:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Kingdom of Albion | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
My favourite was driving to the North Pole!

Seconded! That was incredible. Admittedly, it was the other North Pole they drove to, but still...

ETA: plus, any show that invents Caravan Tiddleywinks (where you use a stunt machine to throw an old car through the air at a caravan, and the one who hits the caravan wins...) has something special.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weaver:
quote:
Originally posted by FatOigeon:
quote:
AAAAhhhh. Smile

You sure about that?

Top Gear Caravan Holiday:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Yeah, that was ludicrous, but not nearly as funny as the American road-trip.

~ Gal-El

has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
TopGear is funny. Smile

But I've been watching German car shows for several years every week now, so when I watch TopGear I find I miss the technical information and the serious testing, the information value.

Newro says there's a show called Fifth Gear that's a bit more informative, but as we get neither I haven't been able to look at it.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Oh, lordy, you don't watch Top Gear for the hard facts! Although after their extreme week-on-week testing of a Toyota pickup, that's the vehicle I'd get if I ever succumbed to the internal combustion engine.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Babylon the Bride:
TopGear is funny. Smile

But I've been watching German car shows for several years every week now, so when I watch TopGear I find I miss the technical information and the serious testing, the information value.

Newro says there's a show called Fifth Gear that's a bit more informative, but as we get neither I haven't been able to look at it.

Yes, since it was brought back 4 or 5 years ago they have reduced to practicaly nothing the amount of actual testing of normal cars, but the viewing figures just keep going up. I miss that aspect a bit, but then, I wouldn't buy a new car anyway so it was never actually that useful!

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3190 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Psi:
quote:
Originally posted by Babylon the Bride:
TopGear is funny. Smile

Yes, since it was brought back 4 or 5 years ago they have reduced to practicaly nothing the amount of actual testing of normal cars, but the viewing figures just keep going up. I miss that aspect a bit, but then, I wouldn't buy a new car anyway so it was never actually that useful!

Same here, I preferred it when they mixed it up.

But my favourite motorhead bits are when the Stig tests super cars, and they still do that, so that's cool.

~ Gal-El

Picture of Cassiopeia
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I'm not much of a car freak, so I'm not usually into those shows.

Having said that, I have been known to watch whole episodes of Top Gear, which is probably a compliment, considering that I'm not into cars.

Posts: 5814 | Location: Behind bars - chocolate bars | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
They did a survey that basically went 'So, how much attantion do you pay to the motoring bits and how much are you watching for the cool cars and the cocking about?'

Consensus was cool cars and cocking about...

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
*joins in with the Top Gear love Fest*

i just like it when Hammond wins Big Grin it was ace how the fastest time to get through London was via Bike and Boat!!

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post