Tools

Top Gear.
 Login/Join

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
Why do they do this ?

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I have trouble working it out myself - they don't seem to have a problem with renewable fuels per say, they seem to be fine with hygrogen (and gave a glowing review to a hydrogen car they tested)

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
Cuz they needed fodder for their schtick?

Seriously, I've never seen Top Gear as a genuine, unbiased car review show. Its focus is on entertainment and comedy first, and the personalities and preferences (and buffoonery) of each of the presenters is what makes the show work. The car "reviews" just act as a framing device for the entertainment. If the boys are going on a "mission", you *know* that they will fail miserably at their tasks, and watching them struggle is what makes the show fun.

Which is why the US version of Top Gear simply doesn't work. The US version is a car review show first, with stock characters presenting them.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure they could do something funny without lying. It's depressing.

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by general punk, MA:
I'm pretty sure they could do something funny without lying. It's depressing.

they 'lie' all the time, every competition they have is clearly set up - ask psi about the best way to move across london on the tube - it's not the route the stig took.

They were actually very complimentary about the leaf as a car, just not at the current infrastructure for them, the re-charge times or the life expectancy of the battery.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
I found that article very naive,

Seriously they are upset that top gear is bias against electric vehicles? Seriously?

And yeah they do lie all the time, all the challenges are set up but they are still funny

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
They may not have been completely honest with the presentation that doesnt change the fact that electric vehicles are shit. 8 hours to recharge a 90 mile range!? It would take over 30 hours of charging time for me to drive to Toronto!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5625 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Season 23, Episode 1:

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
You actually watched it. Oh you sweet summer child!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Helpful hint to fix Top Gear:

All the American stuff? Get rid of it. We have the Velocity Network for American gearheads. That, and no one watched Top Gear USA.

Stay British.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
You actually watched it. Oh you sweet summer child!

It was almost a parody of Top Gear, except I wasn't laughing. I was planning on giving the new hosts a chance, keeping my cynical eye in check, but whoa boy...

And the host that isn't Matt LeBlanc? That guy needs some Ritalin.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:

And the host that isn't Matt LeBlanc? That guy needs some Ritalin.

Three admissions :

- I once adored Top Gear but stopped watching a few years back bored of same old same old.
- I have not given the new show a chance.
- I have never ever liked Chris Evans as a presenter and turn his shows off soon as I notice them.

~

CHIKKINZ?

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Season 23, Episode 2:

Show's pacing still feels a little manic, but it's toned down from last week. I sort of liked the South Africa SUV segment, sort of hated the MacLaren segment. Starz Inna Carz still gets fast-forward to the times.

*for no reason starts thinking about and missing Junkyard Wars / Scrapheap Challenge*

little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
I am giving it a very fair chance, because I liked Top Gear with the presenters before C/H/M and I don't see why I shouldn't like it with the ones after them. It should be given time, the C/H/M era didn't start off perfect, it didn't even start off with James May in it!

Episode 2 was much better. I'm not entirely sure how that works, since the segments are recorded out of order, so it must be a good deal to do with my own perception.

But yet again this week Extra Gear was better. Let Matt have this series, then bring the Extra Gear presenters onto the main show.

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3190 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Psi:
... Episode 2 was much better. I'm not entirely sure how that works, since the segments are recorded out of order, so it must be a good deal to do with my own perception.

It was a better show. Still, I wanna see Stars in a Reasonably Priced Demolition Derby. Razz

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Season 23, Episode 3

Oh yeah! Show found it's groove!

Enjoyed everything about the show (skipped the Stars segment because it's the Stars segment Razz). The new co-hosts were interesting and the Tour of London via Evil Stig was hilarious!

The show made me WANT the cars they previewed, now all I need is a few hundred million dollars...

Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I thought it wasn't quite as good as Ep2, because I have been waiting years for them to have Ken Block on the show and they didn't do enough with him. Great to see Rory and Chris on the main show though. Called it!

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3190 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
Specifically, I want to see how he would do against the F1 drivers in the Liana lap.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

I have e-brake envy.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Season 23, Episode 4 (finally)

"That show was as bland as a rice cake" - President (and gearhead) Barack Obama

Didn't quite get the reasoning for the main segment... go to Venice comfortably? Skipped through The Segment That Must Not Be Named. I'm interested the Tesla X, but this is why it's still a big no-no:

No superchargers around the people who can afford Teslas! Good job! Razz

$106,000 for a SUV with a 250-mile range (that range drops to 150 miles in freezing temperatures; luckily we never get that in Minnesota), a third of that range is BURNED UP DRIVING HOME AFTER CHARGING THE THING, unless I pay at least another $150,000 for a charging station at my house, unless unless I want to use a 220V outlet, in which case charging'll only take EIGHT HOURS! Mad

*grumblegrumblestoopidAmishinfrastructuregrumble*