Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Movies Seen Even More Recently Than Previous Recently Seen Movies
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Movies Seen Even More Recently Than Previous Recently Seen Movies
 Login/Join

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I just didn't think that the voiceover adds anything of significance, other than seeming to pad out some character moments.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Report This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
See this cartoon - the noir gumshoe pretty much goes hand in hand with overwrought, moody voiceovers for me. Blade Runner wasn't literal film noir but worked heavily with its tropes and iconography, and the voiceover was part of that for me. It isn't necessary to the film's plot or characters, but it enhanced the atmosphere.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Report This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
My least favorite all-time voiceover-heavy movie: Dune (David Lynch version). Any time that a voiceover voices a character's thoughts instead of allowing the audience to infer the subtext from the actor's performance is, in my opinion, poor direction and poor editing.

With Dune being an exception, I find that the most successful voiceovers are ones that are for films adapted from books---the voiceovers often are excerpts from the body of the narrative in the book, and help give the story a "voice," and help the audience understand whose POV the story is from. Shawshank Redemption is a fantastic example, since without Red's voiceover, he could very easily have been a mistaken for a background character in the film.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
That and also, Morgan Freeman doing a voiceover. That idea's just made of win.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Report This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
D'you think he got the part because of his voiceover prowess?
Because the Red in the book is actually a red-haired Irish guy...

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Report This Post
stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted Hide Post
According to this page, pretty much, yeah.

I do love the way when he's asked why he's called Red, he replies "Maybe it's cos I'm Irish"

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Report This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
That and also, Morgan Freeman doing a voiceover. That idea's just made of win.

Yeah, I mean, you could have Morgan Freeman doing voiceover about freaking penguins and it would sound amazing.

...wait...

Wink

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Report This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
Yeah, some could say the Morgan Freeman has the Voice of God.

...wait...

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I love the science show he narrated as well. Just a silky smooth voice.

- G.K. Chesterton

Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Report This Post
needs a blanket very badly. The better to "yahr" you.
Picture of Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings
posted Hide Post
And what about the voiceover in Stranger than Fiction? I know it actually plays a part of its own in the plot and it's therefore unavoidable, but doesn't it also prove that good voiceover can be brilliant?

Oh, and
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:
Awesomeness! Big Grin

"If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books." Roald Dahl
"I still love the book-ness of books, the smell of books: I am a book fetishist - books to me are the coolest and sexiest and most wonderful things there are." Neil Gaiman
"Even so, there is no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza." Terry Pratchett

Have you fed your adorable, lovable and huggable lost girl lately?
"Continued exposure to the Lost Girl's avatar causes people to forget how to count and to repeat things." Joe_3Heads

I obey the Alaura
High Priestess in the Alaurian Movement

Posts: 9940 | Location: under a big red blanket, somewhere in milano, italy, europe, earth | Registered: September 12, 2002Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think it's more that bad voiceover is just something that I really, really notice.

I haven't seen Stranger Than Fiction, mostly because I'm kind of burnt out on Will Ferrell.

- G.K. Chesterton

lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
If you are burnt out on Will Ferrell, then I highly recommend Stranger Than Fiction because he is absolutely un-Will Ferrell-like.

And Maggie Gyllenhall is luminescent.

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
An interesting theory - I'll check it out.

- G.K. Chesterton

Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I second the praise of Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. I wasn't too keen on the film (I felt it was too smug and not nearly as clever as it thought it was - plus Emma Thompson's supposedly brilliant writer writes crap prose) and I thought that Maggie G. suffered somewhat from Manic Pixie Dream Girl syndrome, but Ferrell was very good.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Report This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I really don't like Will Ferrell, but Stranger Than Fiction was a sweet, endearing movie.

I was visiting TheBoy and Giabow and Limertilly was visiting them and TheBoy put it on for background and so I didn't pay as much attention to it as I should have, but it managed to catch my attention.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
We watched Winter's Bone on DVD last night. It gave me nightmares having to do with severed limbs and hilljacks. It definitely didn't romanticize the lives of Ozark hill folk, which I admired, but I was kind of in a funk after watching it.

Jennifer Lawrence was incredibly restrained and steely, and after watching her in this I can totally see why she was cast as Katniss in the upcoming Hunger Games movie.

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
X-Men. Which I shall say now I love like pie, as I was carefully and thoroughly indoctrinated in X-Men love as a small child.

But. But. It is very hard to take Magneto seriously when he sounds like a culchie.

It's really a good thing the cinema was nearly empty, with J whimpering at the horrible mangling of the German and me muttering about how your viva does not fucking make you a professor and my sister cackling madly at Fassbender's accent.

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
WORLD IS ENDING ! OMG !!!! WHAT DO WE DO???

http://bigforum.weebly.com

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
i'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with movies...unless you just saw that horrible movie with john cussack in it

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Report This Post