Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Movies Seen Even More Recently Than Previous Recently Seen Movies
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 70

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Movies Seen Even More Recently Than Previous Recently Seen Movies
 Login/Join

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
ah, i keep thinking it was him with planet terror since he's the one in the attempted rape scene Razz

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
and reading further down to dwellers post - whoo for miyazaki!

Graeme said, "I had dreams about the ocean last night, but they made me cry."

Me: Really? Sad dreams, then?

Graeme: No, happy dreams. Really, really happy dreams about people and fish and everything being happy.

Nicely played, Studio Ghibli.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Smile

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Report This Post
Don't. Blink.
Picture of Ava
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaura:
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Guest:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
District 9 rocked.

Not your typical summer alien flick. Will Smith didn't swoop in to save the day.

Very worth seeing on the big screen.

We watched it last night, we were lucky enough to see the panel at comic con too, they recouped the cost of the movie on the first day, and the lead guy had never acted before.

I love the grimy cgi that weta workshops produce, it actually looks real! NZ special effects have certainly come a long way since Xena

Just got back. A+ for special effects. D- for storytelling. Sooooooo many unanswered questions, plus the interrogation scene that hooked me in the trailer never appeared in the movie. It could have been a contender, but it never delivered.

Also, I've discovered that I need a hiatus from watching violent movies. I've become weary of shaky cams and bullets flying and body parts sailing through the air.

This is unfortunate, as I really do want to see Inglorious Basterds, but as it's a Quentin Tarentino flick, it pretty much guarantees non-stop bloodshed.

I just don't have it in me lately. *sigh*

Just saw District 9 today. And - wow. NOT exactly what you expect going into a scifi movie... but what an amazing commentary on human social interactions... and all those isms. Brilliant to set it in South Africa. And the actors did an amazing job even though I only recognized one from anything before. I can see why some folks wouldn't like this if they go in looking for an easy going alien flick. But my friend and I couldn't get over how well written it was. And really nice to see a movie with a seriously flawed main character.

I really can't wait to see IB either. Tarantino is hot and cold for me... but that film looks good.

-------------------------------

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” — Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1870 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: December 27, 2007Report This Post
Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I keep wondering about the title. Why did he spell 'Basterds' with an e? Does that actually have some significance or was it just for censorship reasons?

We're probably going to see it tonight. I've just realised that I never watched the second Kill Bill. And that I haven't watchd From Dusk 'Til Dawn in a long damn time.

I assumed it was intended to distinguish it from "The Inglorious Bastards", of which it is a, um, very loose remake. A new spin on the classic, kind of idea.
Re: the macho rape scene debate, I've always seen Tarantino films as having really strong female characters, with the violence-against-women scenes doing nothing so much as making men look like idiots. Tarantino always has a sleazy, pulp aesthetic, it's true, but it tends to be the female characters who kick arse, at the end of the day. (See Jackie Brown / Kill Bill / Inglourious Basterds / Planet Terror, with the chick with the machine gun for a leg / can't remember what happens in his other films...)

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Report This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Inglourious Basterds was certainly .. er.. twisted? I enjoyed it because it was just so obviously alternative history. I squirmed because, had things happened just a bit differently and given human nature, that atrocities that happened aren't so far off the mark.

The first backstory backpeddle was a bit jarring, but I got used to that. The strange sex scene with wossname and his interpreter seemed utterly unnecessary. Christoph Waltz played a charming frozen hearted bastard quite convincingly.

I didn't quite understand the strudel eating scene, when he forced her to wait for the whipped cream. Did that actually have any significance or am I trying to find symbolism where there is none to be found and cream is just cream.

It's not really a movie I was to see over and over though. Or even a second time.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaura:
This is unfortunate, as I really do want to see Inglorious Basterds, but as it's a Quentin Tarentino flick, it pretty much guarantees non-stop bloodshed.

I have to say that I don't really see where that old chestnut comes from. Apart from Kill Bill, Tarantino's films aren't all that violent. Most Scorsese flicks have twice the bloodshed. What Tarantino does, though, is create few but highly memorable scenes of violence - but non-stop bloodshed?

(I'd argue that even Kill Bill isn't all blood. Except for the Crazy 88 fight scene, there are battle scenes that are punctuated by blood, but Tarantino is pretty damn far from wall-to-wall gore flicks.)

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I think it's less to do with the quantity of the gore and more to do with how it's presented. Scorsese movies present blood and guts as something to be disgusted by, as something to find offensive and gross. The blood and violence in Tarantino's movies is something to revel in, something made much more intimate and personal. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it gives the violence a different flavour.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Report This Post
Picture of Alex Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I didn't quite understand the strudel eating scene, when he forced her to wait for the whipped cream. Did that actually have any significance or am I trying to find symbolism where there is none to be found and cream is just cream.

It's not really a movie I was to see over and over though. Or even a second time.

Well first of all, I agree about that random sex scene splice, seemed pointless and random.

And as for the cream, I took it two ways:

1) He said it first, and obviously doesn't like people not listening to him. It was a subtle but important reflection on how what he says, goes.

2) Her family was killed hiding with a man who had dairy, and he stressed it (asking for milk instead of wine), so this could split into two sections as well.

2a) He was trying to let her know that he remembers/knows who she is, and is invoking the memories of the milk and such while expressing dominance of the situation by telling her what to do.

2b) He has an obsession with dairy products.

Or, above all, it was just a weird Tarantino thing, meant to make the characters seem strange but real. I think it's a mix of all 3.

_____

"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I got the 'I know who you are' inflection when he ordered milk. It just seemed like he was stressing the cream thing because he knew it would somehow be offensive to her. Like, I kept expecting him to order bacon just to watch her eat it.

And I just kept feeling like I was missing something so very important that everyone else on the planet would think 'well, duh, why don't you get this?'

I generally overlook the blindingly obvious. Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
I saw Ponyo and loved it. It was very cute and Miyazaki, but also very, very weird. Like the scene with the baby, and just about any time the father was on screen. Weird.

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3120 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Phoenix:
I saw Ponyo and loved it. It was very cute and Miyazaki, but also very, very weird. Like the scene with the baby, and just about any time the father was on screen. Weird.

We were all cracking up at the baby scene, because that's exactly what they do. Mothers say, "Oh, he likes you!" and then the kid fixes you with an unbreaking serial killer stare.

- G.K. Chesterton

is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
Heh, true, but I can't think that an American-made children's film would go on to explain the concept of breast milk.

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3120 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Report This Post
Lady of Pain
Picture of Emerald
posted Hide Post
I've seen (500) Days of Summer and Julie & Julia... benefits of interning at the AFI Silver Theatre

(500) Days is cute and bittersweet, with a nice soundtrack. I love the Ikea scene... it's just awesome.

Julie & Julia: Meryl Streep is pretty awesome, Hitchhiker's Guide gets quoted, and it's really funny. It will also make you hungry.

Haven't seen Ponyo yet, hope to soon... forced one of my friends to watch Spirited Away because he hadn't seen any Miyazaki... *gaspeh*

Tumbl'n - Let me know if you want to see the portfolio.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Forever between two Parks | Registered: December 13, 2006Report This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
Saw THE Final Destination in 3-d. In the FD series, I would rate it better than 3, worse than 1 and 2. The series has definitely gotten tired, but I still get a kick out of smashy smashy death sequences. And the 3-d was worth it, I thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Report This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
I noticed that they did the "invisible bus" death again.

Like the stealthy "ambush" done by the Rebel soldiers in Return of the Jedi; anything outside the frame of the shot is invisible to characters inside.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Alex Freeman
posted Hide Post
(Side Note: I hear that you're not supposed to mix dairy products if you're Jewish? Might be wrong, or it might only be that you can't mix meat and dairy, or both. But that would add some more to the scene spoken of in Inglourious Basterds.)

So, I saw Halloween II. My brother told me to see the first, and I did, and I could write an essay on that movie just to rant (turning a classic psychotic killer into another head case who killed small animals and had daddy issues, original) and then we saw the second. I just felt like someone put my brain on an egg scrambler, and it's slowly starting to reform. I don't know how or why, I just know that what I saw was ridiculous and not a good movie.

Also, Rob Zombie has one way of showing death: show a knife or whatever it is get lifted into the air, zoom in to where it hits the flesh and show that, zoom back out to show it lifted, and repeat over and over to nauseate people. I think he saw Halloween get panned for being a bad movie and sat down to watch a bunch of great movies like Kubrick films, and thought that he should add random things to make his film more effective.

Blech. That man is an atrocious director, really. Realistic characters in Rob Zombie films are nonexistent.

_____

"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Freeman:
(Side Note: I hear that you're not supposed to mix dairy products if you're Jewish? Might be wrong, or it might only be that you can't mix meat and dairy, or both. But that would add some more to the scene spoken of in Inglourious Basterds.)

Can't mix milk and meat - I was waiting for that shoe to drop in the initial interrogation scene - glass of milk, and oh, can I have a steak?

And then again with the streudel - But I suspect it was just that - Tarantino playing with the expectation that the viewer would have that he might try to 'out' the Jew by forcing them to not keep kosher - but it's just that, a threat, designed to put us on the edge of the seat.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Report This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Alex, are you going with just Halloween or have you seen Night of 1,000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects as well? I agree with you one way or another, but I'm just trying to gauge how worthless the movie is.

I heard it compared unfavourably to Dark Ride. Damning with faint damnation, right there.

- G.K. Chesterton

meticulously avoids clarity
Picture of NicoleH
posted Hide Post
I saw a screening of 'I Sell the Dead' at the con I went to this weekend; not a bad little tale, and quite entertaining. Ron Perlman's role is quality over quantity, but the two main grave-robbers are quite the characters and hold their own.

----------------------------------------------------------
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2642 | Location: Tronno | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post